Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Acla (1992) (Read 14,957 times)
HuckFinn
Silver Member

Acla (1992)
03. Mar 2002 at 22:39
Print Post  

Boys,

I watched the movie Acla yesterday ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ), and I was really shocked. You all know that my favorite movies are boy-comedies. I love to see boys laugh, not cry.

For all who don't know the content: set in Sicily in the 1930's, director Aurelio Grimaldi chronicles the harsh life of 12 y/o Acla, sold by his father to work in the underground sulfur mines.
Imagine that: a father sells his own son to another person from Monday to Friday, including the right for the owner to beat him. For a work that is definitely unsuitable for children: tugging kilos of encumbrance through a mine!
Acla tries to escape this horror, but he gets caught and his father beats him half to death for that. Damn, you should hang animals like this in public!

The imdb says in their plot-description: "Brutal film about the exploitation of a young Italian boy, who is virtually sold to the operators of a sulphur mine where he is beaten and sexually molested." There is one pervert that always tries to abuse him sexually. Fortunately he doesn't succeed.

This isn't the type of film I can enjoy, but I see more sense in narrations like this than those of the type "For a lost soldier".

If you're interested in my boy-rating: 9/10.
No pics, sorry; this one is not available on DVD.

Sincerely,
Huck
« Last Edit: 29. Jun 2008 at 05:25 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Acla
Reply #1 - 01. May 2002 at 17:17
Print Post  
I finally saw Acla this week. It should be required watching for anyone who cares about children.

Yes, it is brutal. I wanted to hit someone for mistreating the boys in it. I wouldn't play the part of the adult actors who portrayed the miner who abused Acla, or his father. Those roles would have to be played by someone with a more sadistic mind than mine...

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Acla
Reply #2 - 01. May 2002 at 17:30
Print Post  
I understand how good actors who play bad characters make us hate those characters so much that we can sometimes assume the actors must be like them. I think it's a mistake, however, to say that those roles must necessarily be played by people with sadistic minds. That's what the craft of acting is all about, pretending to be someone you're not, and if someone is capable of making such detestable characters seem believable, I say it's all the more impressive.

That said, I probably couldn't play those characters any more than you could, Sir Jacob. That's why I'm not an actor!

Smiley

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Acla
Reply #3 - 12. Aug 2002 at 19:01
Print Post  
I just finished watching "Acla"and really don't know what to say.  Several times I was tempted to turn it off, or at least look away.  I don't think I have ever seen a movie as brutal as this.  The beatings in "Radio Flyer" were nothing compared to this.  I can't say I enjoyed this movie; it is not one that _should_ be enjoyed by anyone who considers themself human, but I am glad I watched it.

image expired _(cal)
« Last Edit: 06. Feb 2004 at 07:54 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print