Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Power of One, The (1992) (Read 9,155 times)
devon
Ex Member

Power of One, The (1992)
15. Mar 2002 at 06:56
Print Post  

A young boy, probably 7 years old, loses his father, then not long later, his mother, to death. He is cared for by several men. In boarding school he is abused, but gets free of the abuse. Another man befriends him and essentially raises him, teaching him to be kind and sensitive. He also introduces him to another man who teaches him to box and defend himself.

There are other themes. Apartheid, racism. There are some really violent scenes in which people are beaten to death by white supremecists. That's not easy to watch, but I guess it's a part of reality.

The kid is really a golden boy. He's adorable as a child. He tells his story in the voice of the age he is in the story. As a young teen, perhaps 14, he becomes a leader and helps reconcile various tribal factions in a prison situation. He leads a singing concert. That's my favorite part of the movie.

On stage, he is speaking the languages of the tribes, conducting the parts of the song. He is really loose and free in his swaying and undulating to the rhythm of the music. Those several scenes are magic. Not only because of the story but also because of the beauty of the lad, and his uninhibited and free character.

I don't recall any scenes of nudity with the boy, but everything about him is beautiful.

You'll fall in love with him, you'll be outraged at the abuse he endured, and you'll see hope. You'll also see the ugliness of racism.

A beautiful movie, well worth the time.
« Last Edit: 29. Jun 2008 at 04:39 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sensitive Stephen
Ex Member

The Power of One
Reply #1 - 15. Mar 2002 at 09:01
Print Post  
Please do read the book.

I also like the film, but this is one of those cases in which the book is much, much better.

Incidentally, there IS some nudity in the book, but of course you will need to use your imagination to visualize it!

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

The Power of One
Reply #2 - 15. Mar 2002 at 13:39
Print Post  
Also worth mention... the names of the actors!!!

Guy Witcher .... P.K. Age 7
Simon Fenton .... P.K. Age 12
Stephen Dorff .... P.K. Age 18

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

The Power of One
Reply #3 - 16. Mar 2002 at 09:17
Print Post  
I really enjoyed the book which was written by Bryce Courtney.  Highly recommended. There is quite a lot in the book that is not in the movie and personally I think the book is far better.  However, considering the difficulties of filming a story from a novel the film ain't half bad. My favourite part of the film is the first third with the very sweet Guy Witcher. After that the move goes down hill. The Simon Fenton section is reasonable but the Stephen Dorff segment was not even in the book and I found it to be totally contrived. This could have been a great movie.

Something I have noticed, is that IMDb lists Simon Fenton as having been born in 1976 which would mean he was 15 (3 years older than his character) at the time of filming.  Stephen Dorff was 18.

Also of interest (trivia) both Simon Fenton and Guy Witcher appeared in different versions of Tom's Midnight Garden.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print