Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) About a Boy (2002) (Read 17,052 times)
Bijou
Global Moderator

Tinkerus Supremis

About a Boy (2002)
22. Apr 2002 at 14:38
Print Post  

This movie is due to be released over here at the end of the month, in May for the US. The novel its based upon, by Nick Hornby, is absolutely fantastic, so I hope the movie does it credit...although I'm not really a Hugh Grant fan.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The basic plot is this - Will is a thirty-six year old who doesn't have to work, and spends most of his time watching TV and buying cool clothes. He pretends he has a child to join a single parents' group to try and cop off with a single mum. He tries to get involved with the mum of a 12 year old, but actually ends up making friends with him instead - Marcus. Marcus is a loner who is always being bullied for wearing the wrong clothes. Will teaches Marcus how to be cool, and Marcus teaches Will how to be an adult.

I dunno what it is about his novels, but this is at least the 3rd of Nick Hornby's books to be made into a movie...Fever Pitch & High Fidelity being the other two.

love,
Bijou
--------------------------
image expired
« Last Edit: 04. Jul 2008 at 00:00 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

About a Boy
Reply #1 - 25. Apr 2002 at 09:39
Print Post  
I've had the book for quite a while...  but have yet to read it.  I now think I'll delay reading it until after I've seen the movie.

Nicholas Hoult is the young actor who plays the role of Marcus, the boy in question:

-----------------------
images expired
« Last Edit: 07. Mar 2004 at 02:56 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

About a Boy
Reply #2 - 25. Apr 2002 at 19:50
Print Post  
I read the book, and wondered if they might make a movie out of it.  I'm thrilled that they have! 

I can't imagine Hugh Grant as Will, but Nicholas Hoult sure looks like a good choice for Marcus.  Smiley

I'm reading 'Man and Boy' by Tony Parsons now, and I hope they make that one into a movie, too!

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

Bijou
Global Moderator

Tinkerus Supremis

About a Boy
Reply #3 - 26. Apr 2002 at 02:12
Print Post  
Heheh, ditto, Sir J, I'm reading Man and Boy at the mo as well. The BBC did a one-off drama of it which aired over here at Easter - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ...haven't watched it yet, but when I have I'll put up some caps Smiley (btw, whoever did the plot outline on IMDb got Pat's (the boy) age wrong grrr). Pat is played by first timer (I think) Dominic Howell. Here's the BBC page, with a video clip - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

love,
Bijou

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

About a Boy
Reply #4 - 26. Apr 2002 at 17:20
Print Post  
Oh wow, Bijou, thanks for the link!

I can hardly wait to see this one. I hope it makes it out of the UK.  It looks a bit like Kramer vs. Kramer, huh?

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

About a Boy
Reply #5 - 26. Apr 2002 at 19:01
Print Post  
"About a Boy" opens in the US on May 17.

IP Logged

Bijou
Global Moderator

Tinkerus Supremis

About a Boy
Reply #6 - 28. Apr 2002 at 12:40
Print Post  

Just been to see it Smiley
I enjoyed everything about it, apart from Hugh Grant Smiley It's quite a 'cool' movie - nifty camerawork, music etc.
From what I can remember, it doesn't stick to the novel rigidly, but I like it that way - the novel and the movie being two different experiences.
I hope to see more of young Nicholas as well...

love,
Bijou

IP Logged

Teddy Bear
Ex Member

AKA Teddy Bear

About a Boy
Reply #7 - 17. Jul 2002 at 15:18
Print Post  
I think the movie was cool Smiley

IP Logged

HuckFinn
Silver Member

About a Boy
Reply #8 - 19. Jul 2002 at 22:06
Print Post  
Marcus is not a beauty, but the movie itself is quite cool! Smiley

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

About a Boy
Reply #9 - 02. Feb 2003 at 09:56
Print Post  
Hired the DVD yesterday and watched it ... between bouts of computer repair work. Gonna have to go back and watch it again. Really beautiful story.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

About a Boy
Reply #10 - 02. Feb 2003 at 15:26
Print Post  
The commentary has a lot of interesting stuff.
References to other movies are pointed out.  Such as "The 400 Blows".

IP Logged

del bosque
Silver Member

About a Boy
Reply #11 - 03. Feb 2003 at 13:52
Print Post  
Actually I thought the commentary showed how unnecessarily cautious the directors were.  Some of the scenes could have played a little longer but were cut because of fears of losing the audience's attention span.  Yet the deleted scenes included on the dvd would definitely have improved the movie:  especially the scene of Marcus in Hugh Grant's flat tutting about the cigarettes, taking a can of coke without being asked, asking what sort of fish were in the tank (Marcus: "How much did they cost?", Hugh G: "140 billion pounds.")  Great stuff ! UK members should grab today's Daily Mail with a page full of Nick Hoult on the party scene during January.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

About a Boy
Reply #12 - 03. Feb 2003 at 17:34
Print Post  
del bosque, I agree!  The deleted scenes should have all been left in the final version of this movie, and it would have made a lot more sense to the ones who hadn't read the book. (I felt the same way about the movie 'Signs', too.) I don't know why these directors cut so much after they finish their films. It's not like they're filming the Bible or something, and have to pick out the high points. They could keep these entire screenplays intact and we'd still be able to watch any modern-day novel transposed to the screen without needing much more to see it in one sitting than a short nap during an intermission. :dozey:

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Elfboy
Bronze Member

About a Boy
Reply #13 - 22. Feb 2003 at 21:13
Print Post  
I temporarily have the Airline Version, and love the movie, although the rest of my friends hate it.

The scene where Marcus's Mom, finds out that Marcus is spending time at Will's house, and confronts Will in the resturant,,,in a very loud voice,,,,asks,,,"What are you doing, with a 12 year old boy, alone in your flat?"  Sends goosebumps down your spine,,,when the question is put so bluntly, and you discover,,,there isn't any answer that sounds right.

I loved the movie,,,,haven't read the book.

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

About a Boy
Reply #14 - 23. Feb 2003 at 09:51
Print Post  
"What are you doing, with a 12 year old boy, alone in your flat?"

How about:

I let him come over when he wants. I don't know why he likes to come over. You'll have to ask him.

That should be a safe response ... I'd think.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print