Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Toto le héros (1991) (Read 7,279 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Toto le héros (1991)
25. Apr 2002 at 17:22
Print Post  

Toto le héro (1991)
Directed by Jaco van Dormael
Boy actors : Thomas Godet, Hugo Harold Harrison

This is an interesting French film, about a boy who believes he was switched at birth with his neighbour, whose parents are richer than his. The film is told in a non-linear fashion, alternating between three moments of the protagonist's life (as a boy, an adult and an old man). As an old man, he is still jealously obsessed with his former neighbour's more successful life, which he believes was rightfully his. He decides to murder him, to steal back the life that was stolen from him, as it were.

Not quite as "dark" as the plot may sound, this is a very stylish film with lots of nice camera and editing work. I believe it has won some awards (but I can't remember where... see IMDb for details.) Although the film spans the whole life of the character, we see the boy throughout the film because of the non-linear timeline.

(Star Galaxy has a few pics for this one).
« Last Edit: 29. Jun 2008 at 17:46 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

HuckFinn
Silver Member

Toto le héro (1991)
Reply #1 - 29. Apr 2002 at 22:32
Print Post  
This is one of the films where the first part plays in childhood and the second half in the adult life of the main character. Almost always (like here) the second part plays the bigger part. I hate that.
The first part of Toto le héro is great, so I was even more annoyed that it was only - I don't remember - maybe 35 min. long.

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Toto le héro (1991)
Reply #2 - 06. May 2002 at 20:12
Print Post  
I watched Toto this weekend. Three times. It's such a well weaved story. Every scene, no matter how trivial it seems at the time, show up again later in the movie.

Gotta hand it to Toto, though. He was really crazy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print