Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Central do Brasil (1998) (Read 6,343 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Central do Brasil (1998)
28. Apr 2002 at 18:00
Print Post  

Central do Brasil (1998)
English title: Central Station
Directed by Walter Salles (Brazil)
Boy actor: Vinicius de Oliveira

This charming tale about the relationship between a middle-aged woman and a young boy searching for his father earned two Oscar nominations - one for best foreign-language film and one for best actress in a leading role (Fernanda Montenegro as Dora).

At the beginning of the film, Dora writes letters for illiterate people at the central train station. She is a bitter woman who doesn't always mail her client's letters. But when a woman for whom she wrote a letter dies in a car accident and leaves her young son Josué behind, Dora decides to take the kid home.

However, she has no intention of keeping the boy with her for very long, in fact sells him off to a rather questionable group of people who claim they will find him a good home but are probably more interested in selling his kidney on the black market. Feeling guilty, Dora steals the boy back from them and goes on a journey with him to find his father. Along the way, the two eventually get closer and form a relationship.

I highly recommend this one to anyone, whether or not they are interested in seeing boys on screen. I recommend it even more to thos who are interested, though, as the boy is charming and beautiful.

The boy's performance is outstanding and IMDb tells me he's had a small role ("Ferreina family member") in Behind the Sun, by the same director. It looks like a very small role, however, which is too bad.

--------------------------------------------------
images expired
« Last Edit: 29. Jun 2008 at 05:00 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

central do brasil (1998)
Reply #1 - 29. Apr 2002 at 22:40
Print Post  
I have this one, too, and loved it!

The woman was the one who seemed to be the main character, but the boy was the protagonist, and everything centered around his story. I wanted to adopt him, too! Gee, there's lots of kids in movies that I want to take home with me and raise. Smiley

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Central do Brasil (1998)
Reply #2 - 02. Sep 2017 at 20:37
Print Post  
A long time since this great film has been mentioned on BA but I felt it deserved more. The fine acting of both the boy, Vinicius de Oliveira, and the old woman, Fernanda Montenegro, in this film are excellent and the two characters wonderfully compliment each other right up to the sad ending.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

nightwatcher
Gold Member

BA Member

Re: Central do Brasil (1998)
Reply #3 - 03. Sep 2017 at 03:22
Print Post  
Thanks cinefan! This one's been sitting in my watchlist for a while, I think I'll check it out this weekend.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print