Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Class Trip (1998) (Read 6,689 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Class Trip (1998)
04. May 2002 at 18:36
Print Post  

La classe de neige (1998)
English title: Class Trip
Directed by Claude Miller (France)
Boy actor: Clément van den Bergh

If you don't know much about the plot of this film, I suggest you try not to find anything more before seeing it. I won't give away any essential plot details in my review, but I've read some comments on the film (on IMDb, perhaps?) that in my opinion revealed too much.

The young protagonist (played by Clément van den Bergh) is going on a class trip to a sky resort. It looks like they are going to stay there for some time, sleeping in a dorm and continuing classes on location, while going out to ski once in a while. At the beginning of the film, the boy's father refuses to let him go with his classmates on the bus, because of a recent accident in which several children were killed, so he takes him there himself. As if that wasn't embarrassing enough for the boy, he also forgets his bag (including clothes) in the car.

To go much beyond that with a plot description is, in my opinion, to give away too much. During the rest of the film, the quiet, reclusive protagonist is tormented by all kinds of fears and memories which are all intricately linked to his father somehow. One of the professors takes an interest in him and so does one of the kids, but he is ultimately left alone to deal with his own problems and dark secrets.

The film is primarily about the relationship between a boy and his father. This may not be immediately obvious, as the two are actually in different locations for most of the film, but it really is what is at the heart of this film.

This is definitely not a cheerful film. It could be described as a descent into the mind of a disturbed child, much like The Butcher Boy. In this case, however, the dark side remains hidden instead of erupting into scenes of explicit violence.

Director Claude Miller is, in my opinion, one of the most gifted directors of contemporary French cinema and this is probably among his best work. Clément van den Bergh plays his role to perfection and the supporting cast (adults and children alike) is also good.

Recommended for anyone, but especially for those who like films with darker undertones. A few pics:

-------------------------
images expired
« Last Edit: 04. Jul 2008 at 17:39 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

la classe de neige
Reply #1 - 11. May 2002 at 10:31
Print Post  
update: added a profile page
« Last Edit: 04. Jul 2008 at 17:39 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Re: la classe de neige
Reply #2 - 30. Jan 2005 at 23:44
Print Post  
Joseph it say images expire.  Can get images again?  I heard of this film but not see it yet.

Thank you.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 31. Jan 2005 at 21:00
Print Post  
Jasen, StarGalaxy has a gallery of caps from this movie,  try this link

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #4 - 31. Jan 2005 at 21:34
Print Post  
Thank you Cal.  My computer very old very slow it take a long time to get pictures on stargalaxy.com but computer finally bring up pictures.

Thank you for link to this.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 31. Jan 2005 at 23:30
Print Post  
Yeah, sorry, I don't have any pictures in my archives. I don't remember which ones I had posted in this thread before. Since I never made caps myself, they must have been from someone online, possibly star galaxy.

IP Logged

daniel05

BA Member

Reply #6 - 25. Jan 2006 at 09:50
Print Post  
this is pic of flim

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 26. Jul 2007 at 19:22
Print Post  
just  saw this last night liked it alot. i am a bit confused thou can somebody send me a private message so we can talk about it with out ruinning it for those who havent seen it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print