Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Malèna (2000) (Read 2,915 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Malèna (2000)
12. May 2002 at 17:37
Print Post  

Malèna (2000)
Directed by Giuseppe Tornatore (Italy)
Boy actor: Giuseppe Sulfaro

In some respects, this is a typical coming-of-age film about a boy who secretely admires the local beauty. There have been many films following that pattern, but for some reason it still works - especially in the hands of a director as talented as Tornatore (Cinema Paradiso, Legend of 1900, etc.).

Set in 1940s Sicily, this film tells the story of Renato, a 12-year-old boy who has just received his first bicycle and who spends all his free time spying on and fantasizing about Malèna, a beautiful woman who's husband is away at war. As Renato grows up and the war progresses, Malèna is left alone and has to resort to prostitution to make a living. Struggling to keep her dignity, she also has to endure the jealous gaze of the local women.

Although the film tells the story of Melèna, this story is told from the boy's perspective, who maintains his distance and never dares approach the woman of his dreams openly. It all leads to a brutal scene at the end, where Renato will have to face his powerlessness to help a woman only he truly knows and loves.

It's a very beautiful and touching film. The same actor plays Renato throughout, although the story spans a few years. He is probably somewhat older than 12, but he's still good-looking. Here are a couple of pics:

------------------------------
images expired
« Last Edit: 06. Feb 2004 at 20:20 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Malèna (2000)
Reply #1 - 12. May 2002 at 20:47
Print Post  
I've got this one, too, josephk, and I really enjoyed it.

In fact, when a non-bl was here and saw that I had it, he commented that he'd seen it and loved it, too. It's a good movie, on whatever level people might enjoy it, as long as you like foreign flicks. Smiley

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

daniel05

BA Member

Re: Malèna (2000)
Reply #2 - 25. Jan 2006 at 09:44
Print Post  
it a great flim
i see that

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1