Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tom and Thomas (2002) (Read 9,608 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Tom and Thomas (2002)
07. Jun 2002 at 20:20
Print Post  

This isn't a review as such but I think my request/information best fits in here. While surfing the web, I came across the official site for this film at

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

As an American, my chances of seeing this film any time soon are pretty slim, but this forum seems to have a sizeable European readership. Has anyone here seen the film??

If not, have fun browsing through the site anyway. Based on the trailer, this film appears to be something worth watching for.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Tom and Thomas (2002)
Reply #1 - 07. Jun 2002 at 21:35
Print Post  
Looks like a good film, Zabladowski. Thanks for pointing out. Weird that this is a Netherlands production but was filmed in English. I wonder if they produce many English films and whether there really is a big market for them in the Netherlands or if they are hoping to appeal to a more international crowd. If so, there might be a chance of it showing in North America.

Aaron Johnson looks good. Might he be a rising young star? IMDb says he plays Charlie Chaplin in a film called Shanghai Knights, with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson. I thought it was a mistake at first, but the film takes place in the 1880s. I guess Chaplin would have been a boy around that time...

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Tom and Thomas (2002)
Reply #2 - 08. Jun 2002 at 00:15
Print Post  
Thanks for the Shanghai Knights reference. In the official site for that film at

it gives a plot summary. I presume Aaron would be playing the 10 year old street urchin who figures to be an important supporting character. While this film will be an American release, some of it was filmed in London where Aaron seems to be from.

As for Tom and Thomas, although Dutch money may have produced the film, British talent appears to be performing in it, thus the use of English.
I know that the film had at least one North American screening already, in your country, but that was in April at the Toronto International Children's Film Festival (where Benjamin Dufa was also screened - ARGGH!). Unfortunately I came by this info yesterday or I would've been there. I'm only aware of a few kidsfests in the USA; for now I'm hoping that one of them adds this to their program and that I find out about it ahead of time.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Tom and Thomas (2002)
Reply #3 - 22. Sep 2002 at 05:52
Print Post  
Official release for the DVD R2 in Europe is 22 November. Since the original version is in English, no subtitles necessary for most of you.

Will give you links for where to find the DVD soon.

'soles'

IP Logged

mbch331
Platinum Member

Tom and Thomas (2002)
Reply #4 - 23. Sep 2002 at 15:20
Print Post  
Tried to watch it on DVD, but it failed. I currently have my DVD connected to my video and Tom and Thomas has copy protection, so I can't watch it through my video. I can't connect the DVD player to my TV because I don't have the right connection on my TV.
And about dutch movies being made in English, this is something of the past few years. They think they can attract a greater crowd if they make a movie in English. My opinion is: We're Dutch not English, so don't make movie in English, but in Dutch.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Tom and Thomas (2002)
Reply #5 - 24. Sep 2002 at 09:39
Print Post  
What if the choice is:
  * make it in English, since that attracts foreign financing
or
  * don't make it at all
??

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Tom and Thomas (2002)
Reply #6 - 25. Sep 2002 at 01:33
Print Post  
mbch,

As much as I understand your nationalist sentiment, you are proof of why their theory is correct. While you may prefer that the film be in Dutch, you can comprehend it even if it is in English. The reverse is not true for most of the rest of us.

I suspect part of the reason someone like Olivier Tuinier hasn't gotten the attention he deserves is because his Dutch only films do not get seen much outside of your country.  If producers want to make sure more people can see Dutch films, I for one am grateful.

IP Logged

mbch331
Platinum Member

Tom and Thomas (2002)
Reply #7 - 25. Sep 2002 at 14:28
Print Post  
The problem is not only in movies. We Dutch always have to adapt to others. If foreign people call us or come to the Netherlands we are expected to understand their language. If we call or go to a foreign country they expect us to speak their language.
And I have a solution for the language problem in movies: subtitles. Foreign movies/shows always get subtitled in the netherlands. But if I watch german or english TV people usually speak german or english (depending on the TV station) even if the original language isn't.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Tom and Thomas (2002)
Reply #8 - 02. Oct 2002 at 04:29
Print Post  
Very few non English speaking films for kids are successful outside their native land.  Subtitles are too difficult for most kids to read and it takes the enjoyment out of the movie for them.

Personally I think it would make a lot of sense if films that are made with non English dialogue also do an English version at the same time. It would seem to make far greater economic sense.

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Tom and Thomas (2002)
Reply #9 - 03. Oct 2002 at 08:13
Print Post  
Regarding national language films, I think they're great <strong> for adults or older kids </strong> so long as they have subtitles. Young children that can't read, of course require that you sit them on your lap and read the subtitles to them. That can be a nice experience too.

I'm a native English speaker, so I don't have too much a problem with most movies. I also took the time to learn another language than English. I studied Spanish for about 6 years, off and on. I'm fairly fluent in both languages. Matter of fact I recently had a dream about a gorgeous boy and all the conversation in the dream was in Spanish.

I'm not an arrogant speaker of the majority language for movies, English. Still I have to agree with many others here, that to get financing and the resources necessary to produce a film, it helps if the movie will be available to the English-speaking public. It's just a reality of the financial world.

I have seen one Dutch film and enjoyed it immensely. It had English subtitles. I hope to see more, either spoken in English, or with English subtitles.

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Tom and Thomas (2002)
Reply #10 - 03. Oct 2002 at 14:39
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote: from devon on 9:13 am on Oct. 3, 2002

I'm a native English speaker, so I don't have too much a problem with most movies. I also took the time to learn another language than English. I studied Spanish for about 6 years, off and on. I'm fairly fluent in both languages. Matter of fact I recently had a dream about a gorgeous boy and all the conversation in the dream was in Spanish.

Interesting...I took 7 years of Spanish in school....about a century ago, and sadly now I tend to disremember most of it.  But I also used to dream in Spanish many times...some of my most interesting dreams!  Smiley

I was rather glad that "Mondo" was done in French, seemed to fit the mood, and Ovidiu is just too cute speaking French, I don't think it would have worked if they had him speaking English.  I don't mind reading subtitles at all.

IP Logged

pyjamaboy
Ex Member

Tom and Thomas (2002)
Reply #11 - 08. Oct 2002 at 15:19
Print Post  
Ik wrote a complete review of this excellent movie on B.O.Y.S  with captures of the DVD coverart and a shirtless picture of Aaron Johnson from the "Making Off Documentary" thats on the DVD , which is already out in The Netherlands... I saw it in the Cinema some months ago . Very strong story line , and Aaron Johnson is just perfect as both Tom & Thomas . Highly recommended.

Cut 'n Paste into a new browser to see the pictures

DVD Front

DVD Back

Aaron Johnson Shirtless in "The Making Off"

I have the DVD available so i can put up more caps if there is interest, just let me know... (-:

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Tom and Thomas (2002)
Reply #12 - 31. Oct 2002 at 22:23
Print Post  
Now that I've seen this one, I want to second pyjamaboy's comment that this is a must see film. The plot contains a little romance, fantasy, drama and action. Aaron Johnson is very appealing and is given loads of screen time. Anil Douglas is also noticeable as Bruce, Thomas' nemesis.

P.S. to mbch - it appears this film was a co-production of the UK and the Netherlands. The entire film was supposed to be set in England, although I guess parts of it were filmed in Amsterdam and Gent.

IP Logged

pyjamaboy
Ex Member

Tom and Thomas (2002)
Reply #13 - 01. Nov 2002 at 14:21
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote: from mbch331 on 4:20 pm on Sep. 23, 2002
Tried to watch it on DVD, but it failed. I currently have my DVD connected to my video and Tom and Thomas has copy protection, so I can't watch it through my video. I can't connect the DVD player to my TV because I don't have the right connection on my TV.
And about dutch movies being made in English, this is something of the past few years. They think they can attract a greater crowd if they make a movie in English. My opinion is: We're Dutch not English, so don't make movie in English, but in Dutch.

The copy protection you encountered is probably macrovision . It can be removed if you have a DVD Player in your computer.  You can use a program called DVD Decrypter to remove the encryption and macrovision protection , and copy the "cleaned" DVD movie to your harddisk . You can view the "cleaned" DVD movie on your harddisk with PowerDVD software.

for more information , take a look at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Greetings from a fellow Dutchie,

PJ

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print