Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic I cento passi (Read 4,772 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

I cento passi
14. Aug 2002 at 13:26
Print Post  
<b>I cento passi (2000)</b>
aka The Hundred Steps (or One Hundred Steps)
Italian film directed by Marco Tullio Giordana

The Hundred Steps is based on the true story of Peppino Impastato, a young activist in the 70s in Sicily who dared to speak up against the mafia. The film begins with a brief look at a decisive moment in his childhood, then forwards to his late teens and early adulthood when he became politically active. It's a very good film, especially for those who like political films. However, don't think of it as a boymovie, or you will be disappointed. The segment about Peppino's childhood is only about 20 minutes long, and there aren't any boys to be seen in the rest of the film.

Nevertheless, if you like Italian cinema and would like to see an interesting take on the mafia issue - probably more authentic than the romanticized Godfather trilogy - then I recommend this film to you. The opening sequence with the very cute boys will like a bonus, and you should be able to enjoy the rest of the movie as a "regular" film. Wink

I don't think this is out on DVD or video yet. I saw it at the local arthouse theatre last night.

Here are a few pics, taken from the official website:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The following are still photographs taken on the set, not actual freeze shots from the movie.

Luigi Billeci and Lorenzo Randazzo

---------------------
restored pics
« Last Edit: 07. Feb 2004 at 00:09 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: I cento passi
Reply #1 - 07. Feb 2004 at 00:29
Print Post  

Pics restored.

Profile added:

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #2 - 08. Feb 2004 at 15:31
Print Post  
Oh, I'd forgotten about this one, after a search for it when this was first posted.  I found it again today after reading your update though, Cal.  Smiley

Thanks josephk, and Cal!

Oh, it has English subtitles on the dvd, I think. Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 08. Feb 2004 at 18:08
Print Post  
Just remember that the boys are only in it for the first few minutes of the film before you pay too much money for it. After that the characters are all adults.

It's a good movie anyway, but it depends on how interested you are in it aside from the boy actors.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #4 - 18. May 2004 at 19:09
Print Post  
I've had my copy of this one for several weeks, josephk, and finally got around to watching it last night, and going through the extras on the dvd today.  Smiley

Your review here was very accurate, and even though the boys were on for far too short a time, the movie was outstanding to me, anyway.  I thoroughly enjoyed the parts with the boys in the beginng, too, so they were more than just a "bonus" for me.   Wink

Thanks for bringing it to our attention in the first place, and allowing me the chance to enjoy it, personally.  That's what I like about this place!  Especially when the movies that people talk about from around the world happen to come out on subtitled dvd's.   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

boy55
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 18. May 2004 at 19:14
Print Post  
I CENTO PASSI
directed by Marco Tullio Giordana

"This isn't a film about the Mafia. It's more a film about energy, about the desire to build, about imagination and the happiness of a group of kids who dared to look to the sky and challenge the world, thinking they could change it. It is a film about family conflict, love and disillusion, about shame and blood relations. It's a film about all the good things that the youth of ’68 achieved, and is about their utopias and their courage." (Marco Tullio Giordana)

Cinisi, a Sicilian village like many others, is an important crossroads for drug trafficking. A hundred steps separate Peppino Impastato's house from that of Mafia boss Tano Badalamenti. Peppino refuses to walk those hundred steps. His adolescence reaches its apex in ’68 when the world's youth contradicted their fathers' values and certainties. Peppino also rebels against authority and in Sicily this means challenging the Mafia. The atmosphere becomes intense. Peppino stands in the council elections, aiming to bring his battle to the Town Hall. Two days before the elections he is killed. It is an anonymous killing. Twenty years later the Palermo Public Prosecutor's Office committed Badalamenti for trial for ordering the assassination. The trial has not yet taken place.

MARCO TULLIO GIORDANA
Born in Milan in 1950, he made his first film Maledetti vi ameṛ in 1980, winning the Golden Leopard at the Locarno Festival. The following year he presented La caduta degli angeli ribelli at Venice. In 1983 he made Notti e nebbie for TV, based on Carlo Castellaneta's novel of the same name. In 1991 he directed La neve sul fuoco, an episode of the film La domenica specialmente. In 1995 he made Pasolini, un delitto italiano and in 1996 he produced and made the film Scarpette bianche (together with Gianni Amelio, Marco Risi, Alessandro D’Alatri and Mario Martone) for the Rai and UNICEF. In 1990 he published the novel Vita segreta del signore delle macchine and the essay Pasolini, un delitto italiano in 1994.

MARCO TULLIO GIORDANA'S FILMOGRAPHY

* MALEDETTI VI AMERO', 1980
    * LA CADUTA DEGLI ANGELI RIBELLI, 1981
    * APPUNTAMENTO A LIVERPOOL, 1988
    * LA DOMENICA SPECIALMENTE, 1991
    * PASOLINI UN DELITTO ITALIANO, 1995
    * I CENTO PASSI, 2000

« Last Edit: 18. May 2004 at 23:41 by josephk »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print