Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic I'm The Father (2002) (Read 2,589 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

I'm The Father (2002)
18. Aug 2002 at 14:02
Print Post  

The description for this film also comes from the WFF website. If you speak German, the official site for the film is (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

VÄTER (I'M THE FATHER) Germany / 2002 / 35 mm / Colour / 102 min / Dir. Dani Levy
Marco and Melanie, a young married couple, are living a life of passion and chaos despite all the little frustrations of everyday existence. Their love for each other seems like a beacon over heavy seas. But career pressures, burnt toast and dirty laundry are eroding their tenderness toward each other, and they never seem to find enough time for their six-year-old son Benny, either. Their world seems to be falling apart when Melanie moves out and takes Benny with her. When she files for divorce, Marco suddenly discovers his love of fatherhood. He makes a decision that may change his life forever.
---------------------------------
images expired

(Edited by Zabladowski at 5:53 pm on May 11, 2003)
« Last Edit: 08. Feb 2004 at 00:22 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: I'm The Father (2002)
Reply #1 - 03. Mar 2004 at 05:18
Print Post  
I watched this movie on TV last night. I thought it was a pretty good treatment of how desperate and empty life can be when one loses those they love.

Most of the movie is seen from the father's point of view. No one was made out to be the blame... that was aimed at the pressures of modern day life and the enormous commitments that are imposed on career people.

The father Marco eventually resorts to the desperate act of kidnapping his own son from school just so he can spend a few days with him.

The boy played by Ezra-Valentin Lenz was very good indeed. Thoroughly believable in a role that had a couple of rather dramatic scenes.

I've rated the movie a 7/10 but that is a conservative rating and it probably deserves an 8.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: I'm The Father (2002)
Reply #2 - 03. Mar 2004 at 08:18
Print Post  
I saw this at a film festival two years ago. I thought it was very good. A story I can relate to in a way, so I thought it was very emotional.

I gave it an 8.

You're lucky to have movies like this on TV, Cal. I'd like to see this again. I was sure it would be released on DVD in North America, but that hasn't happened.

I like those caps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print