Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hard Goodbyes: My Father (2002) (Read 9,561 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Hard Goodbyes: My Father (2002)
20. Aug 2002 at 00:55
Print Post  

Although the complete list of films to be screened at the Toronto International Film festival won't be listed until tomorrow, some of the titles have been announced early. Among these is Hard Goodbyes. The plot synopsis is from the website of the Greek Film Center.

Elias, a ten year-old boy who lives in Athens in the late '60s, suddenly loses his father. The members of the family try, each in his own particular way, to deal with the unexpected event… except for the little boy. He cannot shoulder the burden of this separation. He cannot grasp what has happened. He refuses to accept that his father has really died and continues to behave as though he is waiting for him to return from one of his usual business trips. He starts acting strangely with the aim of keeping his father alive inside him. He lies, sends letters to his grandmother as though they are from his father. He continues to play their favorite games with him, acting out both roles of the game. And worst of all he is absolutely sure that his father will return as he had promised so that they can both watch the Americans landing on the moon for the first time on television. But his father cannot keep his promise, which was to be his last. The moon landing takes place. Man takes his leave of his planet, the earth. And so does the little boy who takes his final leave of his father for the first time. Only then does Elias realize that he has been left completely alone. At first he gets angry but in the end he understands. His father could not have done differently. He won't wait for him any more. He grows up abruptly. A new era begins for man but also for young Elias.

« Last Edit: 13. Dec 2003 at 20:47 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #1 - 20. Aug 2002 at 11:46
Print Post  
Zabladowski,

Thanks for posting the info on all these very interesting looking films.  Sounds like a great festival. 

It is encouraging to see so many new and interesting films being made that feature boys.  Smiley

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #2 - 20. Aug 2002 at 23:46
Print Post  
Oh yeah! Thanks!

That's a cute boy.  Smiley

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #3 - 21. Aug 2002 at 00:10
Print Post  
Cal,

I agree that it's nice to know that these kinds of stories are being made into films. Now, if we could just do something about their distribution, or more specifically, the lack thereof.

Zabladowski  

(who's working real hard to figure out how to ditch out of work Thursday so he can get to Montreal this weekend!)

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #4 - 05. Oct 2002 at 22:48
Print Post  
I have a new favorite film of 2002! Today I was able to see Hard Goodbyes. Wow! This movie is everything it's synopsis suggests and more. Yorgos Karayannis, who plays Elias, delivers the best child performance of the year. It took a lot of skill to play the role of Elias, who goes through a grieving process which is far longer than normal because he refuses to believe that his beloved father will not return. Thankfully the director found a boy up to the challenge. I wish I could find a review that could explain to you all just how good this film is.  Since I can't find one, for now you guys are stuck with just my ratings: movie rating:10/10 boy movie rating 10/10 Must See Film!

While looking for that elusive review, I did find out that Yorgos won the best actor award at this year's Locarno Film Festival (which incidentally is NOT a children's film fest), where the film debuted in August. I was also able to find one still of Yorgos in character.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
AND one shot of him showing off his award in Locarno.
« Last Edit: 13. Dec 2003 at 20:47 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #5 - 06. Oct 2002 at 00:30
Print Post  
Thanks for the update, Zabladowski. You've really made me want to see this one now!  Smiley

IMDb doesn't have too much information on it:

I really think they could use your input. They don't even say if it has English subtitles or not, though I suppose it must, if this is the International English title.

Great review, yourself, and I'm glad you're here to share with us, even if you couldn't find any other good reviews of it. Smiley

I'm glad young Yorgos Karayannis won an award for his performance. Maybe that will ensure that we'll see it on video someday.

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #6 - 07. Oct 2002 at 22:47
Print Post  
Sir J,

I'm happy you are enjoying reading about these films.

The print I saw of Hard Goodbyes had English subtitles. Also, I do attempt to add info to the imdb occasionally. Usually I stick to films I see on VHS for this type of work, so I can freeze frame the credits to get all the information down accurately.

I'm generally pessimistic about these types of films getting wider release, which is one of the reasons I make such an effort to see them in whatever venues they are being shown in, but I truly hope that this movie is made available for you (and everyone else) to see someday.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: Hard Goodbyes: My Father (2002)
Reply #7 - 13. Dec 2003 at 00:52
Print Post  
The chances that my favorite film from 2002 will end up on video have just gone way up. :bigok:

Hard Goodbyes: My Father is getting a release (probably very limited) in the US.

It now has an official website at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Check it out and make sure you see this movie when it becomes available to you.

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 13. Dec 2003 at 14:07
Print Post  
Hey, Zab, that link leads to a nice site. The opening page sure grabs the imagination.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #9 - 18. Dec 2003 at 01:54
Print Post  
You can download their entire presskit at that official site. Smiley

Here's the poster from it:

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #10 - 20. Dec 2003 at 06:24
Print Post  
Glad to see something happening with this movie...  it's on my 'must see' list.

Nice of the site to allow us to download the press kit.

Pity there is no trailer...  yet.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #11 - 24. Apr 2004 at 00:03
Print Post  
Finally got to see this movie today. It's very good indeed. Believable script, realistic looking film with a truely wonderful performance by young Yorgos Karayannis as Ilias.

My rating is 9/10

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #12 - 26. Apr 2004 at 00:57
Print Post  
Thanks a bunch for these caps, cal. Since this film has yet to be released on video anywhere, I've never seen anything other than the official production stills.

I'm glad someone else here finally got to enjoy Yorgos' performance as well. If we had television networks in the states like the ones you have in Oz, I'd probably stay home more.  Smiley

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #13 - 26. Apr 2004 at 10:39
Print Post  
With all the great caps from movies shown on TV that Cal has been posting lately, I'm seriously starting to consider moving to Australia. Smiley

IP Logged

boy55
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #14 - 26. Apr 2004 at 11:22
Print Post  
Cheesy Shocked  :lol: Great Pictures;Thank for sharing!!!   Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print