Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Paul's Journey (1999) (Read 3,800 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Paul's Journey (1999)
30. Aug 2002 at 19:52
Print Post  

Here is one of the films from my wish list. This is a 1999 German film starring Niccolo Matteo Casagrande in the title role. I believe the synopsis comes from Kino magazine.

Devon, this story sounds like it would be something you'd like to see. I thought of you while I was reading the summary.

Four years ago, ten year-old Paul recovered from leukaemia. His parents' marriage did not stand up to this pressure. Since then, the boy has lived with his mother Barbara. Phone calls and postcards are the only contact he has with his lorry driver father Michael. The two rarely have any time together. Then Paul has a relapse. There's no way that he is going to go back into hospital. He hides in his father's lorry. Michael sets off for Spain. The new job is his last chance to pay off the debts to the bank for his lorry. While Barbara is desperately searching for her son at home, Michael doesn't find him until they are in France. Paul keeps his illness a secret from his father. At first, Michael wants to send him swiftly back home, but then Paul's journey develops into a far-reaching encounter between father and son. For the first time, Paul experiences his father in everyday life. Despite many disappointments and rejections, the boy remains true to his love for his father. Their first journey together also leaves its mark on Michael. His annoyance about the uninvited companion slowly evaporates, and he begins to understand that he is needed as a father...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Like all films I intend to post in this series, I welcome comment - particularly if you have seen the film.
« Last Edit: 01. Jul 2008 at 04:43 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Paul's Journey
Reply #1 - 31. Aug 2002 at 00:37
Print Post  
I saved my comments until last for this one, Zabladowski. Out of all of them you reviewed, this is the one that I'd like to see more than any of the others. I'm going to do a search for this one, and I guess I'll have to sign up for German classes if I can't find an English subtitled version of it.  Smiley

Thanks.

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Paul's Journey
Reply #2 - 31. Aug 2002 at 00:59
Print Post  
thanks Zab,

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Paul's Journey
Reply #3 - 31. Aug 2002 at 08:59
Print Post  
Thanks, Zabby. It does sound like one I'd enjoy.

I don't understand German, but that wouldn't stop the story from coming through.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Re: Paul's Journey
Reply #4 - 21. Sep 2003 at 04:24
Print Post  
Just found out that the VHS PAL of this movie has been re-released recently (8 September) in Germany. See link for more info: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Not sure if the movie will also be released on DVD, but there's a pretty good chance.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

'soles' :cwm39:

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Paul's Journey
Reply #5 - 23. Sep 2003 at 00:18
Print Post  
Thanks for that news, 'soles!  I do hope it comes out on dvd, soon!   Grin

Love,
Sir J