Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Burning Snail, The (1995) (Read 10,596 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Burning Snail, The (1995)
30. Aug 2002 at 20:51
Print Post  

Staying geographically concise tonight, I'll add one more entry on my list from Germany. "The Burning Snail" was released in 1995. It stars Maximilian Haas as Peter. It appears that Tobias Nath and Michael Huml might also be performers of interest who are in this film. As with the other German films, Kino magazine provides the summary.

The film's action centers on 14-year-old Peter who lives alone with his mother. Peter, who is currently in the difficult phase of self-discovery, has focused all his longings on his mother. Her own unsatisfied longings mean that she is incapable of reacting accordingly to the needs of her child. Instead, she puts up a barrier without even being aware that she's doing it. Peter makes contact with a radical youth gang in his class. They are all children from the upper class. Peter's attention is directed to Axel, the gang leader, who similarly treats him as coldly as Peter's mother does. His mother becomes acquainted with a young man and, for a while, it looks as if this man has appeared in Peter's life at just the right time to help him in his self-discovery. The mother's longings are so great, though, that she takes up all of the man's time for herself and ignores Peter even more. Peter gets increasingly involved in the brutal activities of his gang and lets himself be manoeuvred into a dangerous rival position by the gang leader. Slowly but surely, Peter slips away from reality and heads for a fateful conclusion.

------------
image expired

I hope you enjoyed tonight's small survey of some of the many films Zabladowski thinks he wants to see.  If the response is good, I'll try to do this on a semi-regular basis.

« Last Edit: 29. Jun 2008 at 05:16 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

The Burning Snail
Reply #1 - 31. Aug 2002 at 00:01
Print Post  
Very cool mini-features on some interesting films, Zabladowski. I wish I had seen some of them so that I could comment on them.

It really frustrates me how difficult it is to see some of the films being made around the world. Even films like Cicadas, mentioned in another thread, which was made in the US but hasn't been played anywhere other than festivals and local screenings in Austin. With foreign films, there is usually a video or DVD available, but they are of no use to those of us who live in North America because of PAL/NTSC or region incompatibility. Even with the necessary equipment, it is sometimes impossible to find films with English subtitles.

By the way, I don't think Zabladowski is the only one who keeps an extensive wish list of potentially interesting films to see. I do the same thing and I know a lot of members here do too. In a way, all these films that we'll never see have a life of their own in our imagination and through the few caps we see of them online. It's kind of neat when you think about it.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

The Burning Snail
Reply #2 - 31. Aug 2002 at 00:15
Print Post  
Thanks, Zabladowski!

I certainly hope you'll do this again!  Smiley

If that boy with the pistol is Peter, I'm sure anxious to see more of young Maximilian Haas someday. He sure looks nice in a profile shot, even with a serious look on his face.

You're right, josephk. These films do have a life of their own in our imaginations, and if you guys keep posting these great reviews, I'm gonna have to get myself one of those PAL format players, too. Smiley

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

The Burning Snail
Reply #3 - 31. Aug 2002 at 08:43
Print Post  
Sir J said:

I'm gonna have to get myself one of those PAL format players, too.

I apologize for being slightly offtopic on this but has anyone here ever used any of the multistandard VCR machines which exist like the Samsung sv-5000w for example? It seems a machine like this might solve the format problem. I've been thinking about getting such a VCR but I haven't made up my mind yet.

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

The Burning Snail
Reply #4 - 31. Aug 2002 at 11:37
Print Post  
I have an Aiwa, Digital Converter System vcr, which will play NTSC and PAL formats without a problem. It automatically detects the format, and, at my choice will play it as it is, or will convert it to the other format.  I also have the choice of recording off cable to either NTSC or PAL.  Love it!

(Edited by MikeZ at 12:38 pm on Aug. 31, 2002)

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

The Burning Snail
Reply #5 - 31. Aug 2002 at 12:07
Print Post  
Germany produces many TV Movies that are quite interesting. Unfortunately, unlike in the USA, TV Movies are almost never made available on VHS. So I'm afraid the chance of getting to watch this movie is very small, even for those that are able to watch German television...

'soles'

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

The Burning Snail
Reply #6 - 31. Aug 2002 at 12:36
Print Post  
I've got this movie on tape...  however, it's been a couple of years since I've watched it.  It's not a fun movie at all but it is very good. Without revealing too much young Peter is subjected to peer pressure which results in some very serious consequences.

Rating 8/10
« Last Edit: 08. Feb 2004 at 01:15 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print