Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fais-moi des Vacances (2001) (Read 8,136 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Fais-moi des Vacances (2001)
02. Sep 2002 at 15:56
Print Post  

Thanks to all for the encouragement to continue this series!
Today's first film is French in origin, the English title is We Need A Vacation!
It features the talents of Aymen Saidi and Ibrahim Koma. The synopsis comes from the website of the Giffoni Film Festival, an Italian fest devoted solely to films for young people.

It’s the start of the summer vacation. Two boys around ten years old, Adama and Lucien, have to spend the whole summer in their rough neighbourhood. Their parents have no time to dedicate to them, nor money to take them on holiday. But everyone they know seems to be either talking about or going on holiday. So they decide to head for the sun on their own. Influenced by older boys – especially by Lucien’s older brother Jose – they use even the illicit means they have at their disposal. First they try to get themselves sent to Africa by saying they want to meet their parents there. Then they join in a small robbery in a shopping mall, sneak into a neighbour’s caravan just before he goes on holiday and when, to their disgust, they find themselves in a nudist camp, they set out on their own. Alone in the country they have to find somewhere to sleep and something to eat. But everything seems to be going right for them when a kind lady takes them into her home so that they can keep her son company. However, the police soon discover them and send them back home.

Director's comment
“I had an idea for a film on this subject: two kids who want to go on holiday. They see everyone else leaving, but they know that their parents have no plans. Djamila Djabri (the scriptwriter I work with) and I enjoyed writing the story, and our Producer convinced us that it could become a feature film. WE NEED A VACATION is not a film about life in the suburbs, it is about childhood in a difficult environment. The symbols of departure are everywhere! From the first of July all the children have to do is look around them. On TV, on the Radio, even the posters on the streets. Everyone is talking about holidays. The children have eyes just as we do, and the idea of a holiday becomes an obsession for them. So they use the same method as the adults to get what they want: I want, I take. Talking only about children would have turned the story into an anecdote. The children build a relationship within their own environment. Like little sponges they absorb everything they see around them".

You can find a downloadable trailer at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and 2 clips are available at the film's official site.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 20. Dec 2003 at 12:30 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Fais-moi des Vacances (2001)
Reply #1 - 03. Sep 2002 at 12:38
Print Post  
Looks like an interesting movie, worth buying.

R2 DVD available at Amazon France ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) and Cinestore ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links))

'soles'

(Edited by socksoles at 1:41 pm on Sep. 3, 2002)

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: Fais-moi des Vacances (2001)
Reply #2 - 19. Dec 2003 at 01:12
Print Post  
Good News!

This film will be getting an American DVD release.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #3 - 20. Dec 2003 at 12:31
Print Post  
Pictures restored to remind you all about the film.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #4 - 20. Dec 2003 at 21:35
Print Post  
Thanks for the reminder.

I'm gonna buy it!  :biggrin:

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #5 - 07. Jan 2004 at 12:50
Print Post  
Just watched this movie and must say that it's a definite must see. Good acting, especially by Aymen Saïdi, who plays the part of Lucien.

I thought it was a typical European style movie about the everyday life of two boys from less fortunate families who need something we all need after a long year of work/school: vacation. The only thing is that their parents do not have the means to do so. And therefore they decide to take care of it themselves.

Don't miss this one!

'soles' :cwm39:

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 07. Jan 2004 at 16:56
Print Post  
beautiful caps. thanks!

i hope i get a chance to see this one someday.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #7 - 09. Jan 2004 at 04:06
Print Post  
Gosh!  Beautiful indeed.

I've had this movie for a few months and still not got around to watching it.  I'm going to promise myself to watch it this weekend.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #8 - 19. Jan 2004 at 00:32
Print Post  
Those caps are stunning, 'soles. :bigok:

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #9 - 15. May 2004 at 09:30
Print Post  
US DVD release, July 20...

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #10 - 15. May 2004 at 10:59
Print Post  
Wow, great news! I am a bit surprised. This is not one that I would have expected to see on R1 DVD. This means there is hope for some of the movies on my to-see list after all.

IP Logged

boy55
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #11 - 15. May 2004 at 21:43
Print Post  
SYNOPSIS:

In We Need a Vacation! two ballsy, ten-year-old, city-bound, ghetto kids grow so tired of seeing billboards and TV commercials glamorizing the latest international vacation hotspots, that one day they decide to take a little trip of their own. But since neither has money, the boys attempt to con their way onto a plane to Africa. When that doesn’t work, they try stealing a car stereo to finance the purchase of airline tickets. When that runs amok, they stow away in somebody’s RV, which they think is headed for the beach, but which actually ends up in a landlocked nudist colony.

Whether breaking into houses, hitting on middle-aged women, or camping out in the woods, these young rascals of We Need a Vacation! are always endearing and frequently laugh-out-loud funny. A classic buddy/road movie, We Need a Vacation!also provides keen insight into some important social and class issues.

Region 1 DVD

Available 07/20/2004 $22.99

Features:

Other: Optional English subtitles, "Making of" short film, deleted scenes, casting sessions, trailer

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #12 - 21. May 2005 at 22:48
Print Post  
Now Available at Netflix. The boys are waiting for you to invite them over.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print