Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Edges of the Lord (2001) (Read 5,232 times)
socksoles
Silver Member

Edges of the Lord (2001)
17. Sep 2002 at 13:18
Print Post  

A few things have been said in the past already about Edges of the Lord, a Haley Joel Osment movie that has not yet been released on a large scale. Let me try to give you some of my own impressions including some interesting links.

Story (taken from the net)
The games children play, the stories they make up, and the things they do to each other are anything but innocent. They are attempts to make sense of a world that can be beautiful and baffling. EDGES OF THE LORD, set in an idyllic country village in Poland in 1943, is a deceptively picturesque fable of good and evil that views the horrors of the time through the prism of a touching and multi-layered coming-of-age story.

In a compelling performance filmed just prior to A.I., Haley Joel Osment is Romek, a twelve year-old Jewish boy from Krakow hiding out with a rural Catholic family. Romek soon finds himself in a fragile position with the children of the village, who don't know whether to view the newcomer as a friend or a rival. In a catechism class taught by the local priest (William Dafoe), Romek meets Maria, a precocious thirteen-year-old whose romantic interest sparks some of the film's surprising twists and turns. A tale of betrayal, murder, and revenge with religious overtones unfolds against a lush, pastoral backdrop.

Comments
It's amazing. 'Edges..' was shot in just a few weeks time in between Pay it Forward and A.I. And yet it's a very touching movie with another great role of Haley Joel Osment. His expressions, his Polish accent, it's just great to look at. The two boyactors who play the part of Haley's 'stepbrothers'  are great too, especially little Liam Hess. Unbelievable that the movie did not have a big release yet. Highly recommended. Really worth watching!

DVD
Most known edition is the Brazilian one: os Anjos da Guerra. Not many specials, besides the trailer. Languages: Portuguese and English. Another version is the Danish one (Guds Blinde Øje), available in both DVD R2 and VHS PAL.

Links
Original Brazilian website: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) DVD Brazilian edition can be ordered through   (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Website provides good service and has some other interesting (Brazilian) movies in stock (will get back on that soon!). Danish version can be ordered through (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Haven't tried this one yet, but expect to have good service as well. Interesting site for Danish VHS movies! Note: at the moment of writing payment by creditcard is not possible. Problem is expected to be solved in a few weeks though.

'soles'
----------------------
images expired
« Last Edit: 05. Jul 2008 at 21:38 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Review: Edges of the Lord (2000)
Reply #1 - 16. Feb 2004 at 21:51
Print Post  
bumping this thread to the top.

soles comments are worthy of being read again as a reminder to those that have not seen the movie.

« Last Edit: 05. Jul 2008 at 21:37 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Re: Edges of the Lord (2000)
Reply #2 - 23. Nov 2004 at 08:07
Print Post  
I just got a copy of this on DVD  Cheesy

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 01. Dec 2004 at 00:27
Print Post  
So now you can register your rating of the movie on the database   Smiley

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Reply #4 - 01. Dec 2004 at 11:41
Print Post  
I already have Smiley

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Reply #5 - 08. May 2006 at 14:11
Print Post  
Why did this motion picture take so long to be released? 

It's a great film, but could have done well in theatres, had it been released when HJO was most popular.

In actuality, Haley wasn't the shining star (or moon?) of this film.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #6 - 08. May 2006 at 16:00
Print Post  
Quote:
Why did this motion picture take so long to be released? 

I read some comment on that way back when.  It seems Hollywood has already done 200 movies on the Holocaust (or something like that, I forget the exact number mentioned) so it was thought that yet another one was unlikely to do well at that time.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Wojciech Smolarz

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #7 - 08. May 2006 at 18:30
Print Post  
I think a more simple answer is that the movie sucks. I got this DVD while it was still unavailable in North America - had to import it from Brazil - and was thoroughly disappointed. The acting was some of the worse I've ever seen, even by usually good actors like HJO and Willem Defoe.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #8 - 10. May 2006 at 17:22
Print Post  
I liked the movie but can't really see what all the fuss was about. I have to admit that most of my attention was focused on Richard Banel.

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Reply #9 - 10. May 2006 at 19:41
Print Post  
I have to admit that most of my attention was focused on Richard Banel.

And then the skies opened up, and Richard Banel was all but forgotten.  Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print