Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Fading Light (2000) (Read 2,705 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Fading Light (2000)
20. Sep 2002 at 12:32
Print Post  

To Fos Pou Svinei is another Greek film, which I had the pleasure of seeing last year. Its English title is "Fading Light". The film connected with me in the exact opposite way that Frailty did. Christos is presented as a boy whose beauty is all internal, but his story was interesting enough to hold my attention throughout the entire film. You will particularly like this film if you admire "underdog" films, although this one definitely strays from the formula established by American filmmakers for such stories (no ending where every problem presented is happily resolved before the credits roll). When this gets added to the film list, my vote is 8/10 for the movie, 8/10 as a boy movie (visual value low, emotional value high, boy presence high). The summary comes from the film's official website (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
The only reason for viewing the website is to download the trailer.

Twelve year-old Christos Myrisiotis lives with his mother Eleni on a remote picturesque Aegean island. The boy has been doubly singled out by fate. He has a remarkable musical talent but at the same time is condemned to going blind as a result of a rare disease. Now an eccentric loner, Christos finds an outlet in nature and the dream world of a cave where his heightened hearing enables him to collect natural sounds which he then turns to musical compositions for his violin. His only friends are his classmate Angeliki and the old lighthouse keeper Soursoumis who teaches him not only the violin but also about life in general. Everything changes when the new schoolteacher Maria arrives on the island. She develops a great interest in Christos' exceptional abilities even though he keeps on being indifferent to school. On her own initiative Maria ensures his participation in a music contest. Christos' traumatic family and personal experiences cause him to mature as an artist. The future belongs to him, as long as he admits it and forges ahead, breaking his social isolation. "I'll see through my music..."
-----------------
image expired
« Last Edit: 29. Jun 2008 at 05:14 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print