Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic I Not Stupid (2002) (Read 3,712 times)
socksoles
Silver Member

I Not Stupid (2002)
22. Sep 2002 at 08:33
Print Post  

Story Outline (taken from official website)
Kok Pin, Boon Hock and Terry are classmates in EM3. In Singapore, that means that at the age of 12, the government has decided that they are not as academically inclined as their peers who have been placed in an express or normal stream. Kok Pin is creative and a born artist but his parents would rather he focus on his Maths and Sciences. Boon Hock comes from a poor family and needs to balance school and helping out at the hawker stall. Terry, a spoilt brat is just too lazy a student. Much misunderstanding occurs amongst the friends because Terry has been brought up to mind his own business and not stand up for his friends. But when Terry, despite his fear of pain, offers to donate his bone marrow to save Kok Pin's mother at a crucial moment, the boys realise their true friendship.

While the three children suffer from the pressure of school, their parents have another set of problems.

Kok Pin's mother is passed over for a promotion because she does not have a university degree. His father, a Chinese advertising copywriter is struggling to move ahead at work where Caucasian and the English language means authority at most advertising agencies. Terry's father family business runs into a crisis when a competitive "Ba Gua" company from Taiwan sets up a chain of shops in Singapore .

When Terry's father goes to an agency to seek advertising help for his ailing business due to a newly opened "Ba Gua" (Pork Jerky) store from Taiwan, he opts for a creative from the Creative Director rather than a better campaign by Kok Pin's father because of an unpleasant encounter with Kok Pin's father earlier. The Chinese New Year "Ba Gua" campaign ends up in a mess. Kok Pin's father decides to help Terry's father and convinces him to try his campaign. It was a big success.

Following the story of Kok Pin's and Terry's family, we see the different issues faced by Singapore families in a light hearted sometimes almost silly situation.

For the official site, take a look at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

'soles'
-----------------------
images expired
« Last Edit: 01. Jul 2008 at 04:35 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Xiaohai bu ben (I not Stupid) (Singapore 2002)
Reply #1 - 22. Sep 2002 at 16:21
Print Post  
Thanks soles!

My wish list just got bigger; I definitely want to see this one.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 02. Oct 2002 at 07:56
Print Post  
profile added.

thanks socks, this one looks like a 'must see'.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #3 - 15. Oct 2002 at 16:37
Print Post  
I just found out that the DVD R3 (including English subtitles) will be released tomorrow (16 October 2002). Price (including shipping costs) will be approximately 10 - 15 US$. Will keep you informed about the movie (play time 120 mins), the DVD version and where to buy...

'soles'

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #4 - 24. Feb 2003 at 15:51
Print Post  
Just wanted to bring this movie to your attention again, because since my first post about 'I not Stupid' the movie has been released on DVD.

Based on the movie a tv series (18 episodes) was made as well. And in the meantime the complete tv series has been released on VCD too! Smiley

Both items can be bought at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I not stupid now has an official website as well: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

'soles' :cwm39:

------------
image expired
« Last Edit: 16. Feb 2004 at 22:45 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print