Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Collateral Damage (2002) (Read 4,184 times)
cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Collateral Damage (2002)
05. Oct 2002 at 07:24
Print Post  

I haven't read any reviews of this movie and I'm not even sure if it was a hit at the box office. Watching one of the little featurettes that accompany this movie on the DVD we are told that this movie is 'something different for Arnie'. They don't say what it is that is different. Oh yeah I get it now, Arnie's character is a fireman.

I only rented this movie because there are a couple of boys in it. As to be expected in a big budget action movie, the sets and special effects are first class, as are the stunts. The movie is fast paced with plenty of action, but for me that is not enough. The subject of terrorism is a pretty serious issue and if we are to ever understand the motives behind it all, we need to have movies with intelligent well balanced scripts. This movie completely fails to deliver on plausibility. Arnie does a 'Rambo' like impersonation. single handedly taking on the might of Columbian drug lords and a 'freedom fighter' militia group. This movie is full of scenes where I kept thinking 'bullshit, bullshit' to the point where I found the movie offensive.

The redeeming ingredient is the casting of the two boys. 6 year old Ethan Dampf played the part of 'Arnie's ill-fated young son in the first chapter of the movie. Later on, 9 y/o Tyler Posey appears as the son of the terrorist leader. Both of these boys are as cute as the sun is bright. So although this is not a 'boy' movie, there is enough boy content to make this one worth checking out.
« Last Edit: 22. Feb 2004 at 04:24 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Collateral Damage (2002)
Reply #1 - 05. Oct 2002 at 10:24
Print Post  
I saw this one when it was in theatrical release, but I waited for it to show up in the budget houses to minimize my investment. Perhaps because of that decision, I didn't feel cheated. This is a typical Schwarzenegger movie. I agree with your assessment of Ethan and Tyler. Ethan's character was required to be achingly cute and he delivered in his brief time on screen. Tyler received way more time but still was marginalized in the film by his lack of lines.

My vote: 5/10 for the movie, as a boy movie 4/10 because although the boys are cute, they are not the focus of the story by a long shot and lack significant screen time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print