Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Haizi Shu (2001) (Read 3,080 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Haizi Shu (2001)
19. Oct 2002 at 13:41
Print Post  

Haizi Shu, which is known as "The Tree" in English, is a film from Signapore that I already had on my wish list, but thanks to socksoles prompting me to visit the production company's website, I now have enough info to profile.

A man is found dead on the road. According to the police officer, it appears to be a straightforward hit-and-run accident until a pathologist operates on the deceased and suspects otherwise. The only witness to the accident is a 9 year-old boy who is found hiding behind the branches of a tree on the night of the accident. He is the deceased's stepson.
As the investigation begins, the boy's mother is arrested for the murder of her husband when the police find the van that was involved in the accident.
The pathologist gradually befriends the young boy and starts to develop a bond with him. He realises that the boy yearns for his paternal father who has mysteriously left them years ago. Even now, the boy would sit on the branch of the tree, in hope that his father will come home one day. And he realises that the boy has an unusual bond with the tree; one he cannot explain or fully understand. As the boy gets to know the pathologist better, he starts to open up. The boy explains to the pathologist and the police officer what he had seen the night of the accident. It seems to suggest that the mother could not have killed the boy's stepfather. There is insufficient evidence to convict the mother, and she is released on bail.
Just when everyone's life is back to normal, a body is discovered by the pond beside the tree. The police identify it to be the boy's paternal father. The boy's mother is immediately arrested again. With her earlier suspected involvement in the death of the stepfather, the police now think that she could be responsible for the murder of her first husband.
Could she have fabricated the whole story earlier about the stepfather to save herself? Could she have killed her husband years ago? Is she who she appears to be?

Deng Mao Hui plays the boy.
------------
image expired
« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 05:08 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

The Tree (aka: Haizi Shu) 2001
Reply #1 - 22. Feb 2004 at 07:41
Print Post  
Profile added:

Official site:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The Tree was Maohui Deng's debut movie. It seems he's been quite a busy actor and has appeared in several TV shows in Singapore as well as a couple of movies.

The following pic is from a TV show called Blueprint:

Some of the other series in which he has appeared include:
Darling-In-Law, My Home Affairs, Hainan Kopi Tales and The Invincible Squad, and Here I Come (Wo Lai Ye).
« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 05:08 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Haizi Shu (2001)
Reply #2 - 22. Feb 2004 at 22:38
Print Post  
Well, it looks like a good little movie, and it surely has a cute boy in the lead.  Smiley

It's been out for awhile now, so it would be nice to know if they're going to be releasing it on dvd, with subtitles!  Otherwise, the beautiful pics here might be all I ever get to see of it.   Undecided

Thanks, Zab, and Cal!

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: Haizi Shu (2001)
Reply #3 - 22. Feb 2004 at 22:51
Print Post  
So far it has only been released on VCD with Chinese subtitles only! Nonetheless, I'm pleased to see it get a profile.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print