Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Sokkotanssi (Blindfolded) (Finland 1999) (Read 5,805 times)
socksoles
Silver Member

Sokkotanssi (Blindfolded) (Finland 1999)
20. Oct 2002 at 09:23
Print Post  

One of the movies that I added to my wish list. The following text has been taken from the net:

Matti Ijäs is certainly best remembered for his many television films, such as Lahja or Pala valkoista marmoria. In them, he has shown his skill and his phenomenal ability to make tragedy and comedy simultaneously. In such a fashion that the viewer does not always know whether to laugh or cry. Sokkotanssi is part of this same category. It is a moving account of the childhood of two boys, Jontti (Walter Gröhn) and Länki (Mikko Vanhala), in the Finland of the 60's. These boys are 9-year-old rascals who have always got something going on. Both good and bad. The boys are united by the lack of a father. Länki has never had one, while Jontti's is an irresponsible slacker who will rather flirt with the woman at a record shop than take care of his son. Ijäs sketches a beautiful picture of the Finnish society, about its truth and the underlying tensions. There is a lot of discussion about manhood and boyhood in his story, and as always, his people look very real and genuine. All the images have the feel of life to them. Perhaps Ijäs is untying the knots of his own life in this film, so male is the perspective. Female roles are automatically left on the side. Sokkotanssi is full of good performances: besides the little boys, convincing roles are played by Martti Suosalo as Jontti's capricious father and Sulevi Peltola as a hated teacher. Pirkka-Pekka Petelius wildly plays a barber, and Vesa-Matti Loiri is in his element as a nasty wino.

Haven't found the DVD or VHS on the net yet. Hope I'll succeed on this one.

'soles'

------------
image expired
« Last Edit: 06. Mar 2004 at 20:40 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #1 - 20. Oct 2002 at 20:56
Print Post  
I hope you'll be able to find this one on dvd too, soles. Thanks for sharing it. If I did a movie, I think most of the females in it would be bit players, too, or at least nothing more than money-grubbing parasites.

Oh sorry. Does the bitterness from the divorce still show? Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 20. Oct 2002 at 22:04
Print Post  
This has to have been released somewhere.  It is available for rental in the US and to buy from anywhere at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
but only in its original language.

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Re: Sokkotanssi (Blindfolded) (Finland 1999)
Reply #3 - 13. Apr 2005 at 22:14
Print Post  
I like reveiw for film and never know about any film from Finland before. 

I wonder if any body seen film.

Zabladowski do you know where film on dvd is?  This post almost three year old so if you dont remember film its ok.  I like to read old reveiws and this one look like good movie and from different country.

It say image expire so dont know what it is like.  Mabey can find in data base.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #4 - 13. Apr 2005 at 23:31
Print Post  
I haven't forgotten the film Jasen, but I've never seen it.  Sad

I just did a quick search with the one online dvd shop I'm aware of in Finland and it doesn't list this movie as being available on DVD. I never bothered to rent the CVMC copy because it doesn't have any English subtitles.

Finnish films don't get very good distribution, it's quite possible this is one film we'll never get to see.

If you just want to find a film from Finland to watch, you might look for The Man Without A Past as it is available on DVD in the US.
If you were looking for an on topic Finnish movie on DVD, the best one I've seen is Kahlekuningas (The Handcuff King) available on DVD (but its PAL Region 2) at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

That film was also reviewed by Socksoles in this forum at
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Rembrandt
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 14. Apr 2005 at 12:17
Print Post  
Thank you for the link for Finnish films. That was one I was missing.

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #6 - 14. Apr 2005 at 16:46
Print Post  
Thank you Zabladowski.  I never know Finland have very many movies.  I know sweden got lots and its near Finland.  So do Denmark.

Its funny how denmark is much more little country but got lots more movies than Finland.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print