Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Where Eskimos Live (2002) (Read 4,572 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Where Eskimos Live (2002)
09. Nov 2002 at 20:03
Print Post  

I have the chance to see this tomorrow. I've listed a summary from Film Threat below; I only hope this is as good as it sounds.....

Think of a happy place,” goes the phrase when someone’s going through traumatic times. It’s harder to imagine a much more terrifying place than Bosnia circa 1995. Bosnia is generally nothing more than a vague notion or newspaper headlines from a far off war from most Americans. For the people living there, however, scratching out a meagre existence and just trying to stay alive in a land ripped apart by hatred, Bosnia is a shattered landscape of atrocities and unspeakable horrors. Vlado (Sergiusz Zymelka), a nine-year old orphan, dreams of Norway. This semi-frozen Nordic country is his personal happy place; an idyllic, nearly mythical land where the Eskimos live.
Sharkey (Bob Hoskins) has no such illusions. Using UNICEF as a front, Sharkey’s unsavory mission is to find one healthy boy and bring him to Poland alive. He first deals with a corrupt Colonel (Krzysztof Majchrzak) who bargains with Sharkey to bring his young daughter to safety. When the vehicle in which the girl is riding runs over a land mine planted by Vlado’s gang, the distraught and enraged Colonel assumes Sharkey was part of the ambush and resolves to track him down and kill him. Sharkey soon coincidentally crosses paths with Vlado and, unaware that they’re in danger, the unlikely couple begins a dangerous run for the border with the Colonel in hot pursuit.
Where Eskimos Live is an intense, gripping and oftentimes horrifying road movie. Director Tomasz Wiszniewski’s film doesn’t help us understand the whys and wherefores of the seething Balkans conflict — what film could? — but it does bring the day-to-day hardships the civilians suffered out into the open. It shines a light on the sheer insanity, cruelty and pettiness of that war and, in the process, makes its horror more concrete.
Lest I forget, Where Eskimos Live also evolves into an unusual buddy movie. Hoskins is a perfect choice for Sharkey. A burly and ill-tempered mercenary on the surface, Hoskins’ Sharkey displays just enough compassion when he lets his guard down to make the audience believe he might have a heart after all. Majchrzak is also excellent as the precocious and streetwise orphan who effortlessly makes the transition from victim to partner to something more.
Despite the death and destruction on ample and graphic display here, Where Eskimos Live somehow manages to be a film of hope and redemption; qualities that have been sorely lacking in that part of the world for centuries.

(Edited by Zabladowski at 5:13 pm on May 11, 2003)

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #1 - 10. Nov 2002 at 00:20
Print Post  
Wow, this does look good, Zabladowski!

Thanks for mentioning it. I want to see this one, too. Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 10. Nov 2002 at 23:46
Print Post  
I did get to see this film tonight. While I had a few minor gripes with the film as presented, (would you believe a homeless pack of Bosnian orphans would all speak English?) if you are prepared to judge the film on an emotional rather than on an analytic basis, you'll love this movie as much as I did.
Sergiusz Zymelka shines as a survivor in a war torn country. His character is brutal, defiant, vicious and calculating, but underneath all of these less than appealing traits there is a lovable little boy who has the power to melt the heart of any man. To be able to depict Vlado as such a complex character took a lot of skill on the part of the actor and director. This will make my top 10 list for the year.

Movie rating 9/10  Boy movie rating 10/10

IP Logged

Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Re: Where Eskimos Live (2002)
Reply #3 - 02. Jan 2006 at 14:16
Print Post  
Where Eskimos Live caught my heart. It made me laugh and cry. It is a stunning accomplishment, showing the cruelties of war bluntly and without glossing over the facts of inhumanity and destruction. It is a simple but very convincing movie, centering around two very different characters and how they learn to trust and love each other in the sinister world of death, child trade and deceit.

Sharkey (Bob Hoskins) is an obscure man who travels around war-torn Bosnia in 1995. He claims to be a caseworker for UNICEF, a camouflage he makes use of to get orphaned boys for a Russian mafia syndicate in Poland. He is in his fifties, apparently rough and callous; a loner always chasing an opportunity to make as much money as possible. Vlado (Sergiusz Zymelka) is a nine-year-old boy, orphaned by the war and now a member of a gang of pre-teen hoodlums who fool the military and steal food whenever they get a chance.

After Sharkey's unlucky encounter with a colonel, who now claims him responsible for the death of his daughter and is hard on his heels, he meets Vlado's gang. Eventually, the young boy follows him, as Sharkey pretends coming from Norway – that is where Eskimos live, and Vlado always wanted to go there. So the two of them walk off, heading for the border. Of course their journey is not as smoothly as Sharkey would have preferred it to be; they have to survive various dangerous adventures, in the course of which they gradually grow quite close. Having dealt with the colonel and managed to leave Bosnia, Sharkey and Vlado arrive in Poland. Now they have to face the Russians, which means new challenges. Sharkey's cunning deceit almost proves too daring, but again they manage to survive.

The movie is set and shot entirely on locations in Bosnia and Poland. The setting – both time and place – is the story's backbone. Thus it is a movie dealing with two characters and how they manage to survive amidst death and havoc in a war-torn country. The cruelties of war are shown in appalling images, visualized in all their crushing brutality and atrocity. Sharky and Vlado are surrounded by these images, by death and despair. They encounter deserters who are shot to death at a checkpoint on the street; they have to run for their lives when shells explode in their vicinity; they find piles of dead corpses, shot to death and terribly deformed. They are surrounded by these images and emotionally affected in a subtle but pervasive way, which leads to the establishment of an emotional bond between them that would have never attained its honesty and depth if it had not been for the hostile environment that makes them rely on each other.

The acting performances of the two protagonists are outstanding. Sergiusz Zymelka in particular delivers so genuine scenes that I was moved to tears occasionally. His handsome appearance, his vivid and bright eyes, his cleverness and his disarming charm make him shine. The scene when Sharky attempts to make a photograph of the boy for a new passport features an hilarious Vlado who makes faces and displays his childish gaiety. Apart from that I deeply appreciate his knowledge of English, which is remarkably well-developed for a boy his age.

Where Eskimos Live is a road movie; it lives by individual sequences that define its quality. The scene after the shooting of the two deserters is just awesome, so natural and authentic that I could almost feel the emotional scars inflicted in Sharky and Vlado. They lie down in the grass and scream – they have just escaped death, and it is moving how Vlado makes Sharkey release his pent-up emotions.

This movie is never stereotypical or corny. It tells the story of one man who was looking for money but rather found something that was worth much more – a boy who pins all his hopes on him, a boy who makes him a better person, and, above all, a boy who loves him. The movie won various awards, giving ample evidence for its essential quality. It is brutal, sometimes vulgar and thus hard to digest for young children, but flawless and never awkward. Honest authenticity and a wonderful father-son relationship make this low budget production a more than worthwhile experience that shows how two characters undergo challenges and changes, which strengthens their bond and deepens their love

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Where Eskimos Live (2002)
Reply #4 - 28. Aug 2013 at 20:49
Print Post  

Smiley I saw again this very good movie this evening. Sergiusz ZYMELKA  has a very good play, very moving, in part of Vlado. My movie rating is 7/10 !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print