Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Butcher Boy, The (1997) (Read 4,858 times)
mbch331
Platinum Member

Butcher Boy, The (1997)
18. Nov 2002 at 15:23
Print Post  

The butcher boy is an impressive movie, about a 12yr old Irish boy who grows up with a drunken father and ill mother. His mother dies rather quickly after which he starts to get into trouble. He hates Mrs. Nugent, the mother of one of his classmates. One day he decides to act upon his hate and pulls down his pants to shit on Mrs. Nugent's floor. He gets interrupted by her coming in the room after which he gets sent to a juvenile center. There he meets the holy virgin Mary. Because he has seen here he befriends the headmaster of the juvenile center, a priest who turns out the be a pedophile. When one day Francis acts upon a rage and attacks the headmaster he gets released from the juvenile center to find out that his best friend has become best friends with Philippe Nugent. The son of his archenemy. Then he takes a turn for the worst.
Starring Eamon Owens as Francis 'butcher boy' Brady.
If you want to know why he is called the butcher boy, see the end of the movie.
---------
image expired
« Last Edit: 01. Jul 2008 at 04:31 by Zabladowski »  
IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

The Butcher Boy (1997)
Reply #1 - 18. Nov 2002 at 17:49
Print Post  
Thanks, mbch331. You got enough in here to make anyone want to see this one. Smiley

I have this one on vhs, and I thought Eamon Owens was outstanding in it. The director of this film, Neil Jordan,  is one who has done many movies that are better known (The Crying Game, Interview with the Vampire, and Michael Collins). As much as I enjoyed each of those movies, both for their historical settings and their development of the psychology behind the actions of the main characters, none are better than The Butcher Boy in my mind. The relationship between Francie and Joe in this movie, and the way it unravels because of their social circumstances (as well as because of the obvious psychological problems that Francie has) is as good a treatment of a complex relationship as we can get in a movie. That the relationship is between two boys is what interests those of us in this forum, but any psychology student would appreciate it, too.

If you look up Neil Jordan on IMDB, here's one of the quotes he made about himself:

<i>"I'm fascinated by monsters [and] monstrous people and fascinated with illogic and irrationality."</i>

You might see a little of that in this movie, but the reasons for it will be apparent with the way this story's told. Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

The Butcher Boy (1997)
Reply #2 - 18. Nov 2002 at 19:30
Print Post  
Thanks for reminding us of this one, mbch331. It's a great movie and I agree with Sir Jacob that Eamon Owens' performance is amazing. Alan Boyle, who plays Francie's friend, Joe, is also good - plus, he happens to be remarkably cute! I can't believe we haven't seen more of him in other films.

By the way, I also wrote a review of this film, if people want to read more about it: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Butcher Boy, The (1997)
Reply #3 - 16. Jun 2011 at 21:57
Print Post  

Smiley I saw this movie this evening and I very liked the play of Eamonn OWENS in part of Francie and the one of Alan BOYLE in part of Joe. My movie rating is of 7/10 !

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print