Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Avalon (1990) (Read 4,730 times)
wwaabbiitt
Silver Member

Avalon (1990)
22. Nov 2002 at 22:58
Print Post  

I'm sure most, if not all, are quite familiar with Avalon, as its in the data base here (but with no picture available!) so I thought I'd post this, as I can't recall seeing DVD captures anywhere.  (How does one vote on a movie from the database?)

As stated from IMDb & here "A Jewish family comes to USA at the beginning of the century and they and their children try to make themselves a better future in the promised land."

I certainly enjoyed Elijah's performance in Avalon, it surprised me that he had so much screen time; I saw this for the first time a few days ago, though I had seen every other boy-Elijah movie in the year they were released or came out on VHS.  I had been under the assumption it was a film where he'd be a "little boy in the background."  Not so!

I found the film itself to be excellent, but a bit sad, about families growing apart due to, according to IMDb reviews, technology -- mainly the introduction of television.  The movie's anchoring points are centered on Thanksgiving and the 4th of July (never mind that Elijah never ages over -- what -- three or four years? when Thanksgiving goes from a big family gathering to t.v. trays on the living room couch.)  8 1/2 stars for boy content, boy REALITY, performance and cuteness (okay, 10 for the latter!)

I can post more captures, including more from the beach scene, if this goes to a second page -- I want to be nice to those with slow downloads.  Mindless "nice pics" or friendly insults, or "oops, duplicate post!" are  okay with ME  Smiley

If captures -- esp. improved by DVD -- of films that have been around for a while, and are well known, are appreciated, let everyone know.  I know I'll NEVER be able to compete with the excellent posters that advise of "new" and "upcoming" films!
---------------------
images expired

« Last Edit: 01. Jul 2008 at 04:37 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Avalon
Reply #1 - 23. Nov 2002 at 03:17
Print Post  
Oh, wwaabbiitt, thanks for posting these! :bigok:

I've seen this one a couple of times on cable, but I'd never seen any caps from it before, either. You're right, it's an excellent movie, and Elijah is as much the star of it as anyone else. Smiley

Playing with fire is a bad thing, huh?

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Avalon
Reply #2 - 23. Nov 2002 at 05:40
Print Post  
Thanks very much, Wwaabbiitt. You're right - a gallery of this one was long overdue! And yes, captures of well-known movies on DVD are definitely appreciated. We don't need yet another gallery of A.I. or some other obvious favourite, but there are plenty of excellent movies featuring boys on DVD that lack a nice gallery.

The quality of your caps is quite good, by the way.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Avalon (1990)
Reply #3 - 26. Jul 2013 at 21:53
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Smiley I saw this very good and moving movie this evening. I liked very much the very good play pf Elijah WOOD in part of Michaël and I liked also the play of Grant GELT in part of Teddey. My movie rating is 8/10 !

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #4 - 27. Jul 2013 at 12:29
Print Post  

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 27. Jul 2013 at 14:52
Print Post  
Smiley Thank's, hosenhaus, for this beautiful picture of Elijah WOOD and Grant GELT.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print