Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Au revoir les enfants (1987) (Read 8,253 times)
mbch331
Platinum Member

Au revoir les enfants (1987)
24. Jan 2003 at 01:07
Print Post  

It is january 1944, Julien returns to the boarding school he goes to. That night a new boy arrives. Jean Bonnet is the name. Julien and Jean become friends. But what Julien doesn't know is that Jean has a big secret: He is a jew. In France this means he isn't French. So when one day a few SS soldiers visit the school Jean is taken separate from the other kids. Nobody sees this except for Julien. One day Julien takes a look at Jean's books and sees that Jean isn't called Bonnet but Kippelstein. When he finds out that Jean is a jew he decides to keep it for himself. One day in the woods they are spotted by German soldiers. They fear for their lives, but they are lucky the soldiers drop them off at the boarding school. Everything goes well until one day a gestapo agent visit the school with some soldiers.....
What will happen now?
For the answer you must watch Au revoir les enfants.
IMDB: [url]http://akas.imdb.com/Title?Au%20revoir%20les enfants%20(1987)[/url]
My rating:
movie: 7
boys: 8
Starring Gaspard Manesse as Julien and Raphael Fejtö as Jean.
« Last Edit: 04. Jul 2008 at 00:08 by Zabladowski »  
IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Au revoir les enfants
Reply #1 - 24. Jan 2003 at 03:31
Print Post  
I wrote the following review several years ago:

Au Revoir, Les Enfants (Goodbye, Children)
France (1987): War/Drama103 min

Boy Actors: Gasparde Manesse as Julien, Raphael Fejto as Bonnet

A fatal glance... ( 5 STARS)

Directed by Louis Malle, based on his own childhood. It is 1944, at a Catholic boarding school in Nazi-occupied France. There are three new students, they are Jews, with new names and identities to hide them from the Nazis.
Eleven year old Julien (Gaspard Manesse) befriends one of the new boys, Jean (Raphael Fejto) who, like Julien is not very popular with the other students. The two boys play, study and look at naughty postcards together. We share in their everyday life, the classroom routine, the air-raid drills, the school discipline.
Julien eventually discovers that "Jean Bonnet" is not his friend's real name. They witness an anti-Semitic incident in a restaurant but Julien is far from being fully aware of the meaning behind it all. Later, when Nazis visit the school, in one fleeting moment Julien unthinkingly betrays his friend, an action that has tragic consequences, perhaps, the moment when he understands for the first time the horrible reality of racism.

This film is exceptional. It was nominated for an Oscar (Best foreign-language film). It also received a Best Original Screenplay nomination for Malle.

Gaspard Manesse as Julien is most impressive. Not just lovely to look at, he conveys a sensitive spirituality and the camera views him quite erotically at times. Even the school uniform, with shorts, beret, and cloak ads to the eroticism. Watch for the bath-house scenes.

My movie Rating  10/10
My Boy Movie Rating 10/10

IP Logged

del bosque
Silver Member

Au revoir les enfants
Reply #2 - 25. Jan 2003 at 19:56
Print Post  
Au Revoir Les Enfants is about what it is to be a human being and it is just coincidental that, from a BL point-of-view, there are beautiful boys in it as well.  This film is a major work of art and an historical record which people will be able to look at two, three ...hundred years from now and identify with what it was like to live through those war years and confront facism (sorry, I'm rambling).  But I do feel that Malle depicted intelligent, living boys and created a real feeling of extreme loss at the end of this incredible film.

IP Logged

dad
Silver Member

BA Member

Re: Au revoir les enfants
Reply #3 - 01. Aug 2004 at 00:30
Print Post  
thank you all for recommending this movie, it was exellent, and julien was the cutest actor ever, what beutiful eyes, at the end when he had a close up of him crying a little, because he new what was to happen to his friend, those big brown eyes had me in a trance, i hope they put that out in the u.s. on dvd or vhs, and whoever put the caps of this up, thank you,  i am saving the one in the bath tub Cheesy mabey i'll make that my screen saver Grin

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 03. Aug 2004 at 12:33
Print Post  
I'm very pleased to hear that you liked this movie.

It's one of the very best IMO.

IP Logged

Elliott
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 07. Aug 2004 at 20:43
Print Post  
This movie has been at the top of my wish list ever since I first heard about it.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #6 - 28. Apr 2005 at 11:16
Print Post  
Looks like it's FINALLY due for release on DVD:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

:bounce:

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #7 - 28. Apr 2005 at 15:39
Print Post  
Quote:
Looks like it's FINALLY due for release on DVD:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

It's not listed on Criterion's website yet - so I wouldn't hold your breath just yet...

It was scheduled for a UK DVD release a number of years ago, but I understand the copyright holder withdrew the rights from the distributor.

IP Logged

bardok
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 29. Apr 2005 at 15:37
Print Post  
This dvd will be released in france on May 10, 2005 but maybe with only a french sountrack.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print