Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) En som Hodder (2003) (Read 15,229 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

En som Hodder (2003)
24. Feb 2003 at 21:07
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

En som Hodder (Someone Like Hodder), a new Danish film, was the opener at the Berlin Kinderfilmfest. Since I was unable to make it to Germany for the premiere  Tongue it's now on my wish list. It stars Frederik Christian Johansen as Hodder. Maurice Blinkenberg and Anders Lund Kjeldsen co-star as Hodder's classmates. The plot summary is borrowed from the Berlin website.

Since the death of his mother, nine-year-old Hodder has been living with his father. Hodder’s Dad works at night and has little time for his son at bedtime. One night, a fairy appears to Hodder. She informs him that he has been chosen to save the world. But how on earth is a nine-year-old schoolboy to save the world? Hodder decides the world is far too big a place to handle and so, in order to carry out his mission, he pores over his school atlas to find the smallest island in the world – Guambilua.
Since he will probably need some help on his expedition, he decides that two boys in his class – the cleverest and the strongest – should accompany
him. But even this proves more difficult than Hodder had envisaged – one of the boys thinks Hodder’s nothing but a dreamer and doesn’t believe him, whilst the other has enough on his plate on account of his parent’s
constant rows. A neighbour, Lola, is the only one who stands by Hodder, who is beginning to think that his mission is just too much to cope with.
Just as he begins to lose heart entirely, the fairy appears to him again, encouraging him to do his best, in spite of the fact that his father, his fellow pupils and his teacher all refuse to believe in his mission. Hodder takes heart once more, but when his class gives him a particularly hard time on the last day of school, Hodder decides he’s had enough. He runs down to the
deserted jetty, where the water glitters and beckons like a silver path, making the trip to Guambilua look like child’s play. Hodder is just about to place his foot on the water’s sparkling surface when he is abruptly pulled back again – it’s Filip, the strongest boy in the class, whose parents are always rowing. He has run after Hodder and is prepared to stand by him. The following
night, a messenger appears, ready to take the expedition team to Guambilua. But Hodder and Filip have other plans......
« Last Edit: 28. Oct 2005 at 22:17 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

En som Hodder (2003)
Reply #1 - 24. Feb 2003 at 22:15
Print Post  
Hey, this looks like a good one! Thanks, Zab! :biggrin:

I have the same problem that Hodder did. No one ever believes it when I tell'em that a fairy told me to do something. Sad

I've got to see this movie!

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

pyjamaboy
Ex Member

En som Hodder (2003)
Reply #2 - 26. Feb 2003 at 13:00
Print Post  
Bedtime ?? I smell pyjamascenes... Smiley

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

En som Hodder (2003)
Reply #3 - 23. Mar 2003 at 07:15
Print Post  
Some extra pictures taken from several websites. En Som Hodder had its theatrical release in Denmark on 31 January. It's the first movie of Frederik Christian Johansen, who plays the main character Hodder.

'soles' :cwm39:

restored the images_cal
« Last Edit: 13. Nov 2003 at 20:02 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

En som Hodder (2003)
Reply #4 - 13. Apr 2003 at 01:40
Print Post  
These new pictures look sharp 'soles.
Thanks.
I missed them when you first posted them.

Hodder may have been Fredrik's first film, but he seems to have adapted to being a star Smiley

« Last Edit: 15. Nov 2003 at 20:26 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

En som Hodder (2003)
Reply #5 - 24. Apr 2003 at 08:25
Print Post  
Looks good.

I've finally added a profile for this movie. I sure wish they'd do similtaneous English versions when they shoot these 'kids' films because very few foreign language films aimed at kids get a distribution in English speaking countries.  Sad

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

En som Hodder (2003)
Reply #6 - 24. Apr 2003 at 08:56
Print Post  
There's hope for you Cal! That is: if you are able to view R2 DVD's. Many recently released movies have English subtitles, like Kald mig bare Aksel, Olsen Banden Junior, Ulvepigen Tinke (all Danish), Etre et Avoir (French), Obecna Skola (Czech) and Vovotchka (Russian). Just to name a few......

(Edited by socksoles at 9:57 am on April 24, 2003)

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

En som Hodder (2003)
Reply #7 - 24. Apr 2003 at 09:52
Print Post  
DVDs have been the best revolution in marketing movies, and it's great to see that many of them are coming out with English sub titles.  I guess my beef is more of a financial one than anything else, I just can't afford to order even a fraction of the movies I'd like to get hold of so I primarily rely on Cable TV channels or my local rental store.

The subtitled ones are great for we adults, but I think the problem still remains that very few kids will sit through a movie with subtitles so they don't bother airing most of the foreign language kids/family movies on tv because they theoretically don't  have much of an audience.  Sad

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Re: En som Hodder (2003)
Reply #8 - 09. Nov 2003 at 05:48
Print Post  
Finally En som Hodder has been released on DVD R2. See link: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #9 - 15. Nov 2003 at 20:34
Print Post  
I recently had the opportunity to see this.
What a wonderful, enchanting film Smiley.
The story is a bit sadder than you might expect from a children's film, but it worked for this overgrown kid.
Frederik Christian Johansen is in nearly every scene and does a fine job playing Hodder.

The DVD release looks like it has English subtitles, so I hope eventually all of you will be able to see and enjoy.

P.S. Note to Pyjamaboy:

You are correct there is a pyjama scene for you. Grin

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #10 - 15. Nov 2003 at 21:26
Print Post  
Thanks guys, it looks like a beauty of a film.  I'm thinking I should just go ahead and switch my DVD ROM to region 2 and track down all these wonderful movies I'm missing.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #11 - 16. Nov 2003 at 02:20
Print Post  
This week I received my R2 copy of the movie and yes... it has English subtitles.

Haven't watched it yet but will let you know my opinion on the movies when I did...

PS Thanks Cal for restoring the pics. I didn't have them anymore..

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #12 - 26. Feb 2004 at 21:56
Print Post  
Casperworld has put up a SPECTACULAR gallery of this film at

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #13 - 26. Feb 2004 at 22:28
Print Post  
Thanks for the alert Zab. Casper's World is one of the best resources on the net for galleries. I was trying to access his site earlier tonight and it was down,  but it seems to be working fine now.

That gallery is absolutely stunning!!!

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #14 - 27. Feb 2004 at 03:38
Print Post  
wow - impressive.

it must have taken a lot of work.

crystal clear pix too.

who's casper?

it's an incentive to brush up german language skills!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print