Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Christmas Tree, The (1969) (Read 3,616 times)
MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Christmas Tree, The (1969)
25. Mar 2003 at 09:56
Print Post  

This simple yet intensely poignant film tackles the subject of how to face up to death with remarkable compassion and good humour.  Largely overlooked until recently, the film certainly merits a serious re-evaluation and deserves a higher profile than it currently has.

Although the film’s first half is pretty ordinary fare, the latter part of the film is compelling, as entertaining as it is moving.  The combination of tenderness (captured in the fine performances of William Holden and the angelic Brook Fuller) and light comedy (from Bourvil) creates some undeniably stirring moments.
« Last Edit: 01. Jul 2008 at 04:33 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

The Christmas Tree
Reply #1 - 25. Mar 2003 at 20:23
Print Post  
We discussed this movie a bit in a thread a couple of years ago, about the movies that had moved us the most. This is one that I mentioned that had really been moving to me, and I fully intended to name a son of mine either Brook or Pascal (his character's name) after falling in love, and crying, over this boy. It took me years of searching, but I finally found a copy of it on vhs. (It was in a clearance bin for only $2.00, after all of that searching! Pre-Internet days, of course.)

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

The Christmas Tree
Reply #2 - 26. Mar 2003 at 13:21
Print Post  
It's clearly one of the most moving films I have ever seen.  The ending just totally blew me away, and still does everytime I watch it.

I think I will run it again tonight!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print