Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Maya (2001) (Read 2,919 times)
cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Maya (2001)
30. Mar 2003 at 10:23
Print Post  

Although the title character is a girl, the focus of the film is equally divided between her and her brother.

The following review was stolen and rewritten (in parts):

India has produced a number of important films that focused on poverty and the plight of children often caught cruelly in clutch of the caste system.

Satyajit Ray's Apu Trilogy: "Pather Panchali" (1955), "Aparajito" (1956) and "The World of Apu" (1959) being of the primary interest to this group.

The title character, 12-year-old Maya (Nitya Shetty), lives with her wealthy aunt and uncle and gets along well with her slightly younger cousin/foster brother Sanjay (Nikhil Yadav). Together they love to conspire against adults for their own pleasure, like devising a little scheme to obtain a bagful of free candy.

Everything comes to a halt when Maya gets her first period and her aunt and uncle begin preparing for an elaborate and religious ceremony and feast for her coming-of-age.

Whenever Maya wants to go play, the answer is no. She must be fitted for a dress, or some other adult-oriented activity. Finally the big day comes and Maya is dragged screaming into a dark temple by four priests. Sanjay bangs at the door but to no avail.

The priests take turns raping the poor girl, and her cries become increasingly weary -- but no less pained. Afterward, the priests feast and boast to Maya's foster father about how promising she is.

The film leaves off with a few title cards explaining that this so-called "religious" ceremony is performed anywhere from 5,000 to 15,000 times a year.

The film focuses a lot on Sanjay and the sickening betrayal he feels from both the adults and from Maya.

I've made some caps from a TV broadcast, but the reception was a bit ordinary, so the caps are a little grainy.  I'll post a couple here and the rest in a gallery after I've created a profile page.

My Movie Rating: 8
My Boy Movie Rating: 8
-----------------------------
images expired
« Last Edit: 05. Jul 2008 at 04:10 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Maya (2001-India)
Reply #1 - 30. Mar 2003 at 11:39
Print Post  
I saw this a few years ago at a festival. The change in tone in the film is as abrupt as Life is Beautiful. The first half of the film felt like a mischievous Iranian movie. Very kid-centered and playful. The conclusion of the film brutally depicted the powerlessness of the weak - not only the girl; but also her cousin and his ally's futile attempts to stop what was happening or failing that to at least to strike back against the adults who perpetuated the abuse.  

This was a very powerful, moving film but I'm not sure I would want to see it again. I was literally shaking when the credits rolled.
-----------------------------
image expired
« Last Edit: 06. Mar 2004 at 23:43 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: Maya (2001-India)
Reply #2 - 20. Dec 2004 at 01:06
Print Post  
For anyone ineterested, Maya will have a R1 dvd release in mid January. Netflix will carry it.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Re: Maya (2001-India)
Reply #3 - 20. Dec 2004 at 08:13
Print Post  
Thanks for the tip, Zab. By mid-January I should be in the proper mood. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print