Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Home Sweet Home (2001) (Read 2,583 times)
socksoles
Silver Member

Home Sweet Home (2001)
31. Mar 2003 at 15:31
Print Post  

Story
Hem Ljuva Hem is the intriguing story of 13-year old Stefan (very well played by Anastasios (Stasse) Soulis), father Kent and mother Sara. At first sight a normal and happy family living in a normal Swedish town. But also a family torn by domestic violence.

One day both Stefan and Sara are fed up with Kent’s violent behaviour. Sara gets in touch with social workers and Stefan gives his dad an overdose of pills and puts a plastic bag around his head..... Once Kent doesn’t give any sign of life Sara and Stefan decide to dump his body by throwing it down from a hill.

However Kent miraculously survives the attempt to kill him, recovers and returns to his family; stuck in a wheelchair though. At first he gets completely ignored by Sara and Stefan but after a long while the family is able to pick up the pieces.

Comments
I simply love Scandinavian movies. Hem Ljuva Hem is one of them. And although the movie has no subtitles and my knowledge and understanding of the Swedish language is limited this movie remained interesting until the very end. I sure missed some of the dialogues but all in all the scenes were so fascinating and the atmosphere was so touching that words can easily be missed.

The story is a sad one, one of domestic violence and a family torn apart. Despite the sadness the movie was at times also full of subtle humour, also because the course of the plot is really surprising.  

Stasse Soulis does a great job. It was his second movie after his first appearance in Den Bästa Sommaren (a Summer tale). Up to now he starred in five movies. Alla älskar Alice (Everyone loves Alice), made in 2002, will have its’ Swedish DVD release in April of this year.

DVD R2
R2 DVD (No English subtitles) can be ordered through (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

'soles' :cwm39:
-------------------------------
image expired
« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 20:00 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Review: Hem Ljuva Hem (Home Sweet Home) (Sweden, 2001)
Reply #1 - 11. Jul 2003 at 11:54
Print Post  
Fairly good movie...
I saw this on TV today. It had English subtitles.

Young Anastasios is visually pleasing and gives a convincing performance. I didn't like the ending. I think most people who have been a victim of parental abuse will also find the ending very contrived.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 20:00 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print