Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Bobbie's Girl (2002) (Read 3,756 times)
devon
Ex Member

Bobbie's Girl (2002)
23. Apr 2003 at 20:59
Print Post  

Chian posted a great review of this movie just before the forum crashed on the other server, now the thread is gone. (*sniff*)

Anyway, here's a set of caps.

(Click the thumbnail for a full size picture.)

(Edited by devon at 10:55 pm on April 23, 2003)

« Last Edit: 03. Jul 2008 at 03:54 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Bobbie's Girl
Reply #1 - 23. Apr 2003 at 21:35
Print Post  
I think that does it. This forum is a little different from the other one. It's a challenge, but, hey, it works.

So here's my quick recap of the movie:

Bobbie and her girlfriend receive notice that Bobbie's brother and sister-in-law were killed in an auto accident. Bobbie is away on business, so her girlfriend, whose name excapes me, but let's pretend it's Cathy. Okay?

Cathy goes to pick up Bobbie's nephew, played by the adorable Thomas Sangster. Bobbie is unaware of this until she comes back from her business trip. When she arrives, she has a difficult time bonding with her nephew.

Meanwhile, Dave, Cathy's brother, becomes a hit with Thomas. (I don't remember his movie name either!)

Thomas has multiple problems. He thinks his parents' death was his fault. In fact, everything that happens he blames on himself. Cathy and Dave are the ones that help little Thomas adjust to the new family situation.

Some favourite scenes:

David is tending bar, and Thomas asks him about Bobbie's "sister-in-law", Cathie.

"Well, it's kinda hard to figure, like third cousins twice removed," offers David, warily.

"I think they're lesbians, Uncle David."

"Well, yeah, that could be it too." David wipes sweat from his brow.

Of course, you must remember, the bar that Bobbie and Cathy run is a gay pub, and David is gay too.

Another scene:

As a way to encourage Thomas's budding interest in theatre, Cathy and David decide to read plays with Thomas. They happen to choose "The Three Sisters."

"Are you sure it's okay for me to play a girl in the play?"

"Oh, yes. In Rome, women were never allowed to be in plays. Boys and men played girl's parts."

One more:

David and Thomas are discussing gender issues. Says Thomas, "I used to think I was a girl, but I finally got it figured out."

"Well, you're a step ahead of me," responds David, half to himself.

This movie is replete with heart-rending themes other than what I've discussed here. Originally made for television, this movie, available now on VHS, and possibly other media, is one you must see.

Do it.

Tell them Devon sent you.

(Edited by devon at 11:07 pm on April 23, 2003)

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Bobbie's Girl
Reply #2 - 24. Apr 2003 at 01:39
Print Post  
Thanks Devon...  I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie, it sounds like a must watch to me.

I downloaded a clip of young Thomas Sangster singing a song in this movie...  he doesn't have a great singing voice but his personality shines thu ...  he's a real charmer... and as cute as they come.

I've created a profile for this movie and put those great caps in a gallery.

Perhaps Chian could repost his review as well if he still has a copy of it.  I think the forum is stable now so I'm not expecting any more threads to get gobbled up.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
Ex Member

Hagrid's Helper

Bobbie's Girl
Reply #3 - 25. Apr 2003 at 01:06
Print Post  
I'll have to find this.  He's so cute.  It definitely sounds like a movie where you have to hear him as well as see him.  Thank you, devon Smiley

"I used to think I was a girl, but I finally got it figured out."

Love that!  It took me years and I'm still working on it, off and on :p  A classic line.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print