Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic A couple Sundance/IFC films this week (Read 3,238 times)
wwaabbiitt
Silver Member

A couple Sundance/IFC films this week
18. May 2003 at 19:33
Print Post  
Funny Games with Stefan Clapczynski airs early Monday morning, 2:05 a.m. on IFC, then later this month at the following times.  A disturbing film, imdb link below.

Funny Games  Thursday, May 22 2003 11:35 PM
Funny Games  Thursday, May 22 2003 3:15 AM
Funny Games (1997) Wednesday, May 28 2003 3:45 AM

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I caught a very odd film called Vakvagany, which airs again Friday, 5/23/03, 11:30 a.m. on the Sundance Channel.
One imdb (link below) reviewer commented:  (note: the “son” is only an infant, then a toddler, then not much older than maybe 6 or 7 in the scenes referred to)

The usual family moments are captured in the old family films, such as giving the new baby in the house a bath.
But the camera lingers lasciviously long on naked son Erno, a cause for concern for `expert witness,' Dr. Roy Menninger, who seems increasingly to be wincing as the film (and the old family footage) unfolds. There are moments in Vakvagany - old and new - that are apt to make virtually any viewer, even the most jaded, wince, as well.
Benjamin Meade's "Vakvagany" (or, variously, "Dead End") is eighty-plus minutes of very strange cinema. Love it or hate it, it is something new, and it feels dangerous and important.

EDIT: I've resized the two pictures from Funny Games so they would fit on the screen. Click them to see full-sized images. (Josephk)

(Edited by josephk at 4:18 pm on May 18, 2003)

(Edited by wwaabbiitt at 1:42 am on May 19, 2003)

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #1 - 18. May 2003 at 20:00
Print Post  
Thanks for the heads-up, wwaabbiitt. Though I don't get these channels, I'm sure others who do will want to check out these movies.

I've seen Funny Games and found it to be rather disturbing and pointless. I wrote a review for it, which you can read here: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links). Some people thought my review contained a few spoilers, so be aware. I think you should all read it anyway. Smiley

That second film looks like a really fascinating documentary, and not just because of that quote from the IMDb comment. I looked at the profile on IMDb and read all the other comments and it really sounds like an interesting experiment. Apparently the film is based on home movies that were stolen and then sold to the filmmaker. He then decided to find the people in the home movies and make some new footage of them (apparently against their will!) and then presented the whole thing to three "experts" - a psychologist, a writer and a filmmaker - for their analysis. Sounds kind of crazy, but I'd love to see it.

IP Logged

wwaabbiitt
Silver Member

Reply #2 - 18. May 2003 at 23:41
Print Post  
Thanks.  In the future should I re-size my images before posting, or go ahead and post them full-sized so it creates more work for you guys to re-size them so those wanting them full-size can get them?

Does my question make any sense????

I'll try to edit my post, too.  It should read:

"Funny Games with Stefan Clapczynski airs early Monday morning."

NOT:

"Funny Games with Stefan Clapczynskiairs early Monday morning."

I clicked on your review, josephk, and there's not a single sentence there I can dispute, especially this:

"I've seen Funny Games and found it to be rather disturbing and pointless."

What if the two psychopaths, after their weekend outing, went back to their jobs as government bureaucrats, meddling in peoples'/families'/childrens' lives?

Are you so sure it wasn't a film about ultimate quests for power/control/domination?  And who best represents that now?  And look at how they wink/smirk at the camera.

Would make your statement even MORE true:

"I've seen Funny Games and found it to be rather disturbing and pointless."

That's what I saw, for what its worth...

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #3 - 19. May 2003 at 00:48
Print Post  
I really liked that boy (Stefan Clapczynski) in Funny Games, but it was a very depressing movie. I don't know if I could watch it again.

I sure want to see that other one, but it's unconscionable that the filmmaker would intrude on people that he found by buying their stolen videos. Sad

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print