Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Noora (2003) (Read 2,611 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Noora (2003)
06. Jul 2003 at 15:19
Print Post  

Karlovy Vary, a resort town in the Czech Republic, is home to a huge film festival going on right now.
Looking over their website has caused me to add a number of new films to my wish list. Profiles of some of the most promising will follow.

Noora is the first of these. It is an Iranian film, so new that it has yet to have an entry in the IMDB. The synopsis comes from the festival site.

Ten-year-old Niaz lives in a lonely house in the woods with his parents, grandmother and little sister Noora. They are able to survive in poverty by producing charcoal. One day Noora begs Niaz to take her to the village without their parents’ knowledge so that she may witness one of the wonders of the “big world” – a train. But the little girl is badly injured in a fall and must be confined to bed. The entire family’s efforts focus on getting the money together for Noora’s treatment. Niaz, who feels responsible for the accident, decides to help his sister in a rather unusual way, corresponding to his childlike image of the world: he will do whatever it takes to secretly transport Noora to a holy place atop a dangerous and inaccessible mountain in order to ask God for help. His Supreme Omnipotence is quite obliging – if the stories Niaz heard from his grandmother are any indication…. Writer-director Mahmoud Shoulizadeh’s feature debut was shot with minimal dialogue and is set in majestic natural landscapes. This tale of two children’s steadfast yet naive fight against fate’s disfavour continues in the best tradition of the Iranian “film miracle” of the 1990s.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 19:05 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Noora (2003)
Reply #1 - 07. Jul 2003 at 09:01
Print Post  
Thanks for unearthing these Zab... 

I'll add these titles to my list too...  they look pretty good.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Noora (2003)
Reply #2 - 07. Jul 2003 at 17:47
Print Post  
Yeah, thanks Zab. I'll keep an eye out for these as well. Hope they'll play in festivals that are a little more accessible to me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print