Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Koktebel (2003) (Read 4,361 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Koktebel (2003)
06. Jul 2003 at 15:32
Print Post  

Another film that looks really interesting is called Koktebel. This is also a brand new film, whose only reference in the IMDB at this point is the title, which seems to be the name of a city in Russia and the site of Russia's most well-known nude beach - according to google Smiley
Although reading the plot summary makes me think of many other films, this particular mix sounds promising to me. I hope it receives good enough marks to make it to my side of the world. The summary is again courtesy of the festival site.

He built planes in Moscow, then his wife died, he began drinking, he lost his apartment, and his son started to wander. So he decided to set out on a journey across Russia to Koktebel in Crimea, to his sister Marina’s. The penniless father and son, knapsacks on their backs, head south by train and on foot. They look for odd jobs on the way, and soon enough an eccentric man hires them to fix his roof. One evening the father doesn’t resist the man’s persistent offers, and one vodka follows another. The drunken homeowner accuses the father of stealing money and in a deranged moment, he shoots him. The man and son escape into the woods and in a nearby village a lonely healer named Xenia takes them in. The man becomes closer to her but the boy, not content to just hang around, escapes. An affable driver takes him all the way to Crimea. It’s still summer in Koktebel but the boy can’t find his aunt. The boy spends the night on the shore of the sea he longed to visit, and in the morning his father is sitting on the pier beside the helpless child.... This story of fatherly love and children’s egoism incorporates the theme of unwitting good and evil in the people the duo meet on their pilgrimage to save themselves. All this takes place against a backdrop of nature and small pockets of life in a immense country whose people are trying to cope with difficult lives and fulfill their dreams of happiness.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(Edited by Zabladowski at 9:50 pm on July 7, 2003)
« Last Edit: 27. Nov 2004 at 07:50 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Re: Koktebel (2003)
Reply #1 - 30. Dec 2003 at 05:02
Print Post  
Now availabe on DVD (PAL) but without English subtitles. It is my guess that without subtitles a lot of the movie will be missed, so I wouldn't recommend buying it, unless your Russian is perfect. Nevertheless I thought I'd mention the release on DVD.

Available through (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) This store is based in the USA so don't let the Russian text discourage you: ordering is quite easy.

Note: the webpage includes a 10 minute clip of the movie!

'soles' :cwm39:

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #2 - 30. Dec 2003 at 23:10
Print Post  
I think you're right, socksoles.  Smiley

I watched that clip, and even that 10 minutes worth without subtitling was almost enough to put me to sleep.  Shocked

It might be a good movie, but those Russian filmmakers know how to keep things at a slow enough pace, even if you can understand what they're saying.  Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #3 - 09. Feb 2004 at 22:59
Print Post  
Koktebel was picked up by the Berlin Film Festival, so it can't be that bad.... Either that or the programmer at Berlin saw this publicity still and booked it immediately  Smiley.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 27. Nov 2004 at 07:19
Print Post  
Caught this one on TV tonight, on the World Movies channel. It was shown back to back with two other 'boy' movies, Kamchatka, Kikujiro, and 'Unfair Competition' which looks like it might qualify as well.

This movie is another Russian gem for discerning movie watchers who are looking for quality.

Typically slow paced and character driven. Great visuals. I'll watch it several times.

Gleb Puskepalis as the boy is very good.

Those who prefer Hollywood action flicks may be advised to give it a miss.

A cap from the TV airing:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print