Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Magnifico (2003) (Read 6,204 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Magnifico (2003)
06. Jul 2003 at 16:04
Print Post  

Magnifico is a film from the Philippines which is in competition at Karlovy Vary. Jiro Manio is the name of the actor playing the title role.
Having just seen the Filippino film "Small Voices" a few months ago, I'm guessing their audiences have a taste for tearjerkers. Reading this plot synopsis, makes me think that's precisely what kind of a film this will prove to be. One of the publicity images suggests not, I guess we'll know in time.

Magnifico is a nine-year-old boy who tries to live up to his name, however, deep inside his soul, he is ashamed of it. All the attributes and expectations his father invested in naming his second son – “brilliant, magnificent, admirable, excellent” etc. – acquire absurd dimensions in their humble environment of poverty, sickness and suffering. Magnifico is the bright light in a family in which each member represents a different kind of torment. Magnifico tries to soothe their woes with his child-like good nature, while his father tries resignedly to solve his Rubik’s cube. His older brother, in whom his parents have high hopes, loses his scholarship. His youngest sister Helen is afflicted with cerebral palsy, and the expense of medicines or possibly even a funeral for his seriously ill gran jeopardises the family budget. Magnifico promises Helen, who can’t walk, that he’ll take her to the carnival. He hopes to earn some money to buy a wheelchair from a rich neighbor but, in the end, he has to carry her on his back in order to fulfill his promise. He also begins fondly making a coffin for his gran which, however, awaits a different occupant…

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 19:23 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Magnifico (2003)
Reply #1 - 05. Sep 2003 at 14:07
Print Post  
Updates:

* movie profile added
* profile for actor Jiro Manio added

« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 19:22 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 07. Sep 2003 at 12:30
Print Post  
Excellent.  As this is a serious film I'm hoping that SBS or World Movies will show it.

IP Logged

Rembrandt
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 28. May 2005 at 22:49
Print Post  
I just saw this film and have one word for it: Magnifico! I was not expecting the ending that happened and I cried. The film was not a high budget film but it did not have to be that way. The film is about relationships with others and how the boy affected so many others with his love and concern, mainly for his family.

IP Logged

MarkL02
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 29. May 2005 at 07:55
Print Post  
I saw Magnifico recently and I really liked the title character, who seemed like the most perfect child ever shown in a movie.  Like you, I didn't see the ending coming either, but that made me like the movie a little less.  It was too much of a surprise ending that didn't really tie in with the rest of the film.

If it had been a true story that would have been different because life is full of surprises like that.  But in fiction you expect there to be some connection between the plot development and the end of the story, and I don't think that happened in Magnifico.

4 stars for Magnifico the boy, 2 stars for Magnifico the movie.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #5 - 14. Apr 2007 at 16:31
Print Post  
Not sure anyone noticed (I sure didn't until now) but Magnifico is released on DVD outside the Philippines now: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) or other shops..

'soles :cwm39:

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Reply #6 - 19. Apr 2007 at 20:28
Print Post  
Having just viewed the end of this, (after all the talk), it was disappointing.  Because in reality, that would not have been the outcome of this story.... or at least it is difficult to imagine.

Manio is an enticing little guy, he has charm and acting charisma, but it would be nice to see him in a role that isn't quite so 'cute', most of the time at least.

It's worth a look, but not worth the dvd price.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 30. Jan 2013 at 21:40
Print Post  

Smiley I saw again this very good movie this evening. I liked very much the play of Jiro MANIO in part of Magnifico also the one of Joseeph ROBLE in part of Carlo. My movie rating is 9/10 !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print