Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Song For A Raggy Boy (2003) (Read 7,108 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Song For A Raggy Boy (2003)
06. Jul 2003 at 16:14
Print Post  
Song for a Raggy Boy is an Irish film that also screened at the Sundance film festival. Since it is in English, I have hopes of an eventual theatrical release in the USA.
John Travers, who appears to be making his film debut, is the lead boy performer playing the role of Liam.

Ireland, 1939. A sadistic headmaster named Brother John has absolute control over the boys at a church reform school. He soon comes into conflict with a more humane teacher, William Franklin, who arrives at the school having been marked by his experience fighting alongside the Communists in the Spanish Civil War. The conflict between the decent man and the demonic embodiment of a perverse system is gradually worsened for the fact that the boys grow fond of the new teacher. As a result, Brother John only steps up his harsh inquisitional domination over them. He focuses above all on Franklin’s most gifted student Liam... This emotively intense and highly suggestive film is drawn from actual events. It realistically depicts the operation of such repressive institutions and their secret “educational” methods, portraying them with shocking openness. With exceptional urgency, the movie tells of the impossibility of surviving under conditions of raw humiliation and oppression. Its message is underlined by the fact that the harsh system of church reform schools in Ireland lasted until 1984.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #1 - 07. Jul 2003 at 10:54
Print Post  
Thanks for mentioning this one, and the others, Zabladowski.

The title of this one intrigued me even before I read your synopsis here, and this is the one of them all that I want to see most. I have a few other movies about sadistic headmasters and/or deplorable conditions in schools and orphanages, and it seems to me that no one could watch a movie like this and then turn a blind eye to what has gone on in days past in such places. Thus, I think this is one instance for sure where the making of films has had a lot to do with reforms in society's thinking. Public scrutiny brought about by the consciousness-raising efforts of certain filmmakers who tell stories with meaning, rather than just going for the quick profits of more formulated movie scripts, is the best cure I know for some of the world's ills, nowadays.

I hear that Charles Dickens had that same kind of effect on his society as an author in his day. From the synopsis if this movie, though, I don't guess the administrators of the Irish Catholic orphanages took the message in Oliver Twist to heart. :erm:

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 07. Jul 2003 at 23:15
Print Post  
You are right SJ, this sort of treatment was worldwide in Catholic institutions. I'm sure it still goes on in many countries though probably not in Catholic schools.  I, myself have vivid memories of the many beatings I recieved in such places during the 60s... and it wasn't just from the Brothers...  the Nuns were just as cruel.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Song For A Raggy Boy (2003)
Reply #3 - 10. Sep 2003 at 12:50
Print Post  
added a profile for this movie

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #4 - 05. Mar 2004 at 08:06
Print Post  
DVD R2 has recently been released in Denmark and can be bought through (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The DVD seems to include the original English version (with Danish subtitles).

'soles":cwm39:

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #5 - 23. Mar 2004 at 23:12
Print Post  
'soles, I can't thank you enough for letting us know where to buy this dvd.  I just watched it, and it's one of the most disturbing, yet powerful and moving, movies that I've ever seen.

The very first comment Brother John (Iain Glen) makes to Mr. Franklin (played by Aidan Quinn), the only "lay person" who'd ever been brought in to teach at this reformatory run by Catholic brothers:

"The creatures you are going to teach... are not to be confused with intelligent human beings.  The only thing these boys understand is strength.  Should you fail to employ that strength, they'll eat you alive."

The man who said that turned out to be perhaps the most sadistic and brutal person towards boys that I've ever seen portrayed in a movie.  Hate would be too soft of a word to describe how you'll feel about him when you watch this movie.  His performance was more than disturbing, so I guess he played the part well.

The boys in the movie were even better playing their characters, and no person who sees this film will be able to ignore their plight, or wish you could do something to protect them from the Brother John's of the world. The two that grab your heart the most and endure the greatest abuse are in the photo above that Zab posted, <b>Chris Newman</b> as Patrick Delaney 743, and <b>John Travers</b> as Liam Mercer 636. (Yes, the boys are known only by their numbers by Brother John and others of his ilk.)  I also got very emotional watching scenes that included <b>Andrew Simpson</b> as Gerard Peters 458, and <b>Michael Sloan</b> who played his little brother Sean Peters 568.  All of those boys were very good actors, and I believed that they really were their characters as I watched.

A song they sang as they walked through the town nearby with Mr. Franklin:

<i>Raggy boys are born in sin
Raggy boys are small and thin
Raggy boys are skin and bones
Raggy boys.</i>

My heart certainly went out to them, and it was good to see the note at the end of the movie that the reformatory and industrial school system in Ireland finally was closed down in 1984.  It's hard to sit and imagine the number of boys that were abused in those reformatories from the time of this movie in 1939 until then, though.   Sad

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #6 - 06. Apr 2004 at 16:15
Print Post  
Australia is next in the DVD release of this movie: 24 May. DVD R4 can be ordered through (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

'soles' :cwm39:

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #7 - 06. Apr 2004 at 21:58
Print Post  
Lucky bastards.

Grin

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #8 - 08. Oct 2005 at 11:56
Print Post  
Quote:
A sadistic headmaster named Brother John

In the movie, Brother John is not headmaster.  He is prefect (in charge of discipline).

The older, kinder, priest/brother is headmaster.  He says he did not want Brother John, but the Bishop appointed him anyway.

John Travers .... Liam Mercier 636
Chris Newman .... Patrick Delaney 743

more
Andrew Simpson .... Gerard Peters 458
Mark Butler .... Downey 913
Bernard Manning .... Rogers 855
Samuel Bright .... Ryan 126
Robert Sheehan .... O'Reilly 58
Caoimhin 'Tojo' Barra Doherty .... Murphy 338
Michael McGee .... Lynch 76
John Collins .... O'Connor 252
Michael Scott .... Flynn 144
Robert White .... Galvin 544
Michael Sloan .... Sean Peters 568

Juan José Ballesta .... Ernesto (in photograph)

IP Logged

psa727

BA Member

Reply #9 - 26. Jun 2006 at 00:09
Print Post  
A sad movie that made me angry.  I wanted to beat the bloody heck out of Brother John.  He was sick.  I had me own share of beatings, but certainly not like that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print