Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Thomas Sangster (Read 12,976 times)
cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Thomas Sangster
15. Aug 2003 at 10:49
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
above pic is from 'Bobbie's Girl'.

He is barely out of shorts, but his bumbling manner and plummy tones are unmistakably familiar. This is the 13-year-old cousin of Hugh Grant. Grant - Britain's most famous bachelor at 43 - has based his 20-year career on playing the sociallyinept singletons featured in Four Weddings And A Funeral, Notting Hill, and About A Boy. But Thomas Sangster - who got his first break two years ago with a role in the TV mini-series Stig Of The Dump - has landed a part arguably more challenging than any Grant has tackled. South-London-born Thomas in his first major dramatic role - playing a 10-year-old Adolf Hitler in a new biopic about the Nazi leader. He won plaudits for his performance in Hitler: The Rise Of Evil when it aired in the US, the New York Post describing it as "first rate". The TV drama is due for release in the UK later this year. The young actor appears alongside Peter O'Toole, Robert Carlyle and Matthew Modine in the story  about the Nazi leader's rise to power. On the back of that part, Thomas - whose father is starring in The Lion King in Hamburg and whose mother is also an actress - has landed a further role in one of the most anticipated movies of the year, romantic comedy Love Actually. Cousin Hugh also has a part in it, albeit a more modest one. Set in contemporary London, Love Actually weaves together 10 separate love stories in the run-up to Christmas. Thomas stars as a boy with a troubled relationship with his stepfather, played by Liam Neeson. Uncle Hugh has a smaller role in the film, playing a Prime Minister who falls in love with a maid, played by Martine McCutcheon. The film also stars Billy Bob Thornton-Emma Thompson and Colin Firth. Unkind observers might say that Hugh's relationship with Thomas has given him a leg-up with his acting career, but that is far from the case. A friend of Hugh's said: "Thomas has talent far in advance of his years. He has managed to land some fantastic parts on the back of the few roles he has performed to date - and those parts appear to be getting more and more substantial. "For example, Hugh's part in Love Actually is in fact a lot smaller that Thomas's. "I suppose the inference would be that Hugh gave Thomas some kind help with his career - but that's far from the case. The interesting thing is that no one on the set of Love Actually even knew that Thomas and Hugh were even related. "I just spoke to Duncan Kenworthy, who is the producer, and Richard Curtis, the director, who said it was news to them."

The comments about Thomas' role in the Hitler movie are a bit odd..  I watched the movie a couple of weeks ago when it aired here and as far as I know Thomas only appeared during the opening credits.  It's possible that he appeared later on, perhaps during part 2, which I missed..

Has any one here seen both parts of the movie to verify one way or the other?

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Thomas Sangster
Reply #1 - 15. Aug 2003 at 20:06
Print Post  
I haven't seen the Hitler movie, but I did see Bobbie's Girl!  I remember thinking what a cute boy that was when I ran across it on cable one day, and then watched the rest of it (almost all of it).  I don't know how they can say that the Hitler movie was his "first major dramatic role", because he was pretty dramatic to me in Bobbie's Girl, and how can a movie about a lesbian couple who inherit a young boy not be a major role? Smiley

Really. That sounds like I'm jesting, but that was a good movie. See it sometime and tell me if you don't agree.

Thanks for posting this, Cal.  Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 16. Aug 2003 at 13:08
Print Post  
I certainly agree with Sir Jacob that Bobbie's Girl was a wonderful movie. Little Mr. Sangster is a heart stealer. I hope he gets lots more opportunities to appear on the screen.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 11. May 2007 at 07:52
Print Post  
Translated Russian TV Interview Script

[TV Host]

This year’s British Teen Choice Award was given to – the red haired prodigy of British cinema – Thomas Sangster.

Emma Thompson, Judi Dench and Rowan Atkinson all call him their favourite young actor. According to his extremely popular cousin, Hugh Grant, 'Thomas is truly a serious actor and a very precious relative' but Thomas is now more pre-occupied with his collection of model planes and getting his hands on a new petrol pump for his car.

When he bought his banger of a car he became the coolest guy of the southern suburbs of London.

Now lets hear the story of the 16 year old indigo kid with Olga Tekueva, Andrei Ulianov and Lubov' Kamyrina.

[Thomas]

My favourite subject at school is drawing. I also like to paint but I like to draw more. Sometimes you have to wait for hours on movie stage before they say 'Action!' and all this time I draw. I draw everything I see and everything I like.

[Female reporter]

The sky, the plane, the boy. Light drafts made in confident strokes. He himself is only a draft yet: A draft of a self-confident man, a draft of a future Oscar or the Golden Globe winner probably and, no doubt, a draft of his own dream – a dream of a colour of indigo like the sky at dawn.

There are such kids (his mother told him) – indigo children, a strange new generation that appeared at the turn of the millennium, the children that came from the skies, born by wise people, out of stereotypes. They know themselves, they know everything about themselves and can feel their destiny themselves.

[Thomas]

People often tell me I'm somewhat different, and my mom makes up some funny terms to describe me – she takes them from books and TV shows. She says I'm like not from this world. I don't know what world I came from but I know for sure what I want. I want adults to talk to me as an equal, I want them to consider my opinions. I want to work myself.

My parents are both actors and I saw them act in some play on tour, I guess it was in Prague and I thought it would be fun to try. I was only seven then – just a little kid. I remember I asked a photographer we knew to make me a portfolio and then I sent the pictures to my parents' agent. And they asked me to shoot a movie. My Mum and Dad didn't know anything but they weren't surprised for some reason. They suggested that I enter a drama school but I still don't see any necessity to study acting. I got it all right away. I know what to do in front of the camera and I don't need any help.

[Reporter]

Of course, when your Mum and Dad are actors and your uncle is Hugh Grant, getting in a movie is a piece of cake: once you want it you're on screen. But that's the remark of uninformed sceptics. First of all, not once, twice or even three times this flamboyant boy has endured more than a dozen auditions before getting into the credits. Secondly, Hugh Grant is not exactly his uncle.

[Thomas]

I only met Hugh Grant for the first time in my life on the movie set of Love Actually. Well, we worked on different parts and at different times but we met at the parties and we drank coke together at the premiere. He is my relative but he's my – how do you put it – my grandma and his great-grandmother are sisters.

We had never met before the shooting of Love Actually. We didn't even send Christmas cards to each other. I reckon if we had met more often I wouldn't have had as many problems during my first auditions.

I tried to get the part of Harry Potter – but failed. But now I'm happy with it. Otherwise I'd get into the trap of this monotonous shooting. Besides, they shot 'Harry Potter' in studios mostly, and that's very boring. I prefer shootings on location, it looks more real. So if I had got that part I couldn’t do all the rest.

[Female reporter]

The rest is history - a dozen movies and one more in production. Thomas drives his career deftly, much better than he drives his retro foreign car. His old Citroen moves awkwardly in the yard under the supervision of his Mum.

According to British laws Thomas can't be given his driver's license – he's still a little too young for that. He'll be able to get his full driver’s license in a year – at 17.

[Thomas]

British laws are more strict than American – I'd be able to drive in the city myself and I could go to film shoots without accompaniment over there. But for now I have to bring my mum to the set – that's the law. Actually the question is who looks after who – she's such a light-headed lady.

And another strange thing, according to our laws 'Love Actually' cannot be seen by children under 14 and I was 13 at that time. They didn't even let me into the movie theatre at the premiere so I had to go up the red carpet and then go back. I was taken to a restaurant during the movie and after that we joined the premiere party and I even had a sip of Champagne. That was illegal of course but you won't tell anyone, right?

[Thomas]

During the shooting I actually made friends with the girl that was my girlfriend in Love Actually but nothing more than that and I was terribly frightened of our on-screen kiss.

When I read the script I thought 'Oh my god!' but when we began to shoot the part and they started doing the takes I got used to it a bit. It was just a kiss on the cheek and sometimes she didn't even touch me. So it wasn’t that difficult, it was a piece of cake, it was nothing, nothing to fear at all.

[Female reporter]

And have you fallen for anyone in real life?

[Thomas]

Nah, I don't really fancy anyone, besides I don't have time for that.

[Thomas]

What do I want? I want to fly. My grandpa could fly. He was a pilot in the war and I remember the first time when I cried watching a movie was when I was watching Apocalypse Now. Actually I almost never cry when I watch movies. My mum cries all the time but I only did once.

There is a part in Apocalypse Now when the helicopters fly towards the coast and the music is beautiful and it just takes your breath away and tears appeared in my eyes just like what happens in the strong wind. That's a very strong feeling.

When I was 16 my mother gave me the best present, my most important present – a course at a flight training school. That's when you get into a tiny little plane and when it takes off the runway and lifts a bit in the air the pilot gives you the steering wheel and you can fly a little bit by yourself.

[Female reporter]

British sky is low. It seems like it's just a stone's throw from here and you could fly without any special effects. The young star Thomas will take off and fly for sure, higher than the roofs, he knows that. The miracle is possible, it ain't over till it's over.

[Thomas]

I would like to keep on acting. I love that of course and I know my future will be connected with cinema. I think I can combine flying with it like John Travolta – he's got his own plane, he's a great pilot and a famous actor.

And besides, when you do a movie you feel excited but at the same time you get butterflies in the bottom of the stomach, and you don't know what to expect – just like when you take off in a plane. When the filming is finished you have to go back to school. It’s good to see your classmates and to have a bit of rest and then set out again.
Translated by bar_chonok / Vadim

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 11. May 2007 at 08:01
Print Post  
A large gallery of caps from "The Last Legion" can be found at:

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #5 - 26. Mar 2008 at 20:03
Print Post  
Thomas did a great job in "Love Actually" but it wasn't a tremendous amount of screen time.  What a shame.

Anyway, I was going to say:

I wish I could get my hands on "Bobbie's Girl."  A British TV movie is difficult to find in here in the US!

IP Logged

Gatekeeper
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03. May 2008 at 02:34
Print Post  
Yes, Thomas Sangster is one of my all-time favorite boy actors.

The Miracle of the Cards.
Bobbie's Girl.
Love Actually.
The Last Legion.
The Feather Boy.

I have seen them all, The Last Legion a few times.  Thomas makes any role memorable.

In the Pantheon of Boy Actors Thomas is right up there with Mark Lester, Ricky Schroder, and others.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #7 - 03. May 2008 at 11:53
Print Post  
Quote:
Yes, Thomas Sangster is one of my all-time favorite boy actors.

The Miracle of the Cards.
Bobbie's Girl.
Love Actually.
The Last Legion.
The Feather Boy.

I have seen them all, The Last Legion a few times.  Thomas makes any role memorable.

Station Jim
Entrusted
Nanny McPhee
Stig of the Dump

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) stig6e.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Gatekeeper
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03. May 2008 at 18:58
Print Post  
Oh, yeah, Entrusted.  How could I forget that film?  I have seen both the shortened and the extended versions.  I prefer the extended, of course.  And, also of course, I have seen Nanny McPhee.  Are the other two films you mentioned, hosenhaus, released in the U.S.?

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #9 - 03. May 2008 at 20:26
Print Post  
Quote:
Are the other two films you mentioned, hosenhaus, released in the U.S.?

Is UK TV normally released in the US?
Actually, "Station Jim" was on DVD in the US.
But not, I think, "Stig of the Dump"

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Station_Jim_01.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #10 - 03. May 2008 at 20:30
Print Post  
The information I have is that the Stig of the Dump which is getting a UK DVD release at the end of this month is the Thomas Sangster version

IP Logged

Gatekeeper
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04. May 2008 at 01:42
Print Post  
Some British shows make it to the  U.S. via BBC in America.  One can only hope "Stig of the Dump" eventually shows up on our TVs.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #12 - 13. Aug 2012 at 13:38
Print Post  
Smiley I like very much the good play of Thomas, in particular in part of Simon in Nanny McPhee and in part of Romulus Augustule in The Last Légion. Very good boy actor !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print