Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (2003) (Read 11,103 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (2003)
27. Aug 2003 at 04:23
Print Post  

star-studded premiere - sept 3.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 05. Jul 2008 at 04:02 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: dickie roberts : former child star.
Reply #1 - 29. Aug 2003 at 16:40
Print Post  
Ah,  man! They stole my idea! I always wanted to write a screenplay about a fictional "former child star" dealing with the repercussions of childhood stardom and subsequent abandonment. I guess I was going more for a drama, though, whereas this looks like a comedy.

Interesting movie. Thanks for posting those links, aaaa.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #2 - 29. Aug 2003 at 16:56
Print Post  
Looking at IMDb, I just realized Scott Terra is in that movie. Cool.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #3 - 29. Aug 2003 at 22:03
Print Post  
Hey, I didn't realize that Scott Terra is in it, either. That's good to hear!  I read the link the other day when you first posted it, aaaa, and intended to come back and comment when I had a chance. It looks like they got just about all of the recent child actors who had problems after they grew up to be in it.

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 31. Aug 2003 at 06:15
Print Post  
more about dickie.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #5 - 31. Aug 2003 at 12:20
Print Post  
fascinating article aaaa

thanks for the link.  I hope the movie is a good one, it certainly sounds interesting to say the least.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 06. Sep 2003 at 09:08
Print Post  
all is not lost - for anyone who failed to make the premiere but still wabts to hobnob with frankie muniz.

frankie will be chatting with fans at a special party :

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #7 - 06. Sep 2003 at 10:47
Print Post  
Here's an interesting review of the movie at BoxOfficeProphets :

Quote:
More important to the plot is the presence of Sam and Sally, the precocious blue-eyed, blond-haired children. They are there to humanize and eventually redeem the selfish Hollywood actor by showing him how the real world works. As much as I would like to mock their presence, child actors Scott Terra and Jenna Boyd are the best part of the movie.

There's another review, a little more enthousiastic than that one, on the same site. At the bottom of the page, click on the link that says "Read what she said".

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #8 - 07. Sep 2003 at 12:33
Print Post  
Good to see a review that actually says nice things about the kids in a movie. I wonder why so many critics/reviewers are often so disdainful of kid actors?

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 24. Sep 2003 at 04:48
Print Post  
corey feldman interviewed in today's metro.

i tried to dig up the lyrics to megaloman but couldn't find them :

about song mentioned in interview - from the web :

From frostedcupcake:   How do you feel about Michael Jackson now?
I can't talk about Michael in any way, except to say I'm saddened by the public display. I'm not a supporter of Michael, and I wrote a song with my wife called "Megaloman." It's on my album, Former Child Actor, and it is a message to him. Michael got the point, which is all that really matters.

From bnixer:  What do you remember about him when you were a kid?
Michael and I had a lot of good times together, and I very much enjoyed our friendship while we were friends. However, children tend to block certain things out that you come to terms with when you mature. Not in a sexual way. You don't think when you're a 12-year-old boy that you're hanging out with a 35-year-old man, you only know you're relating to someone.

Off the wall: Feldman's disc includes a song called "Megaloman," which he wrote as a dis to his former pal Michael Jackson. The two fell out over an argument they had on Sept. 10, 2001, after Jackson's big anniversary concert at Madison Square Garden, Feldman told the Orlando Sentinel.

The next day, as Jackson and his entourage were frantically trying to leave New York after the Twin Towers disaster, Feldman tried to get on the bus. Michael refused at first, but then his brother Jermaine snuck Feldman aboard.
--------------------------------------

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #10 - 31. May 2004 at 04:49
Print Post  
former child stars.
---------

As the magic fades, what happens to child stars when they grow up?

When the first Harry Potter film opened four years ago, Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint were all propelled to super-stardom. Yesterday, the third instalment opened in London, with the youngsters almost young adults. Two actors explain how difficult it is to live up to early success

31 May 2004

Actor who quit for life in academia

Adrian Hall: 'Be the same as everyone else'

By Terri Judd

Adrian Hall has one piece of advice for any youngster seeking a career in acting - don't. Be a vet or an accountant instead, he says.

He was eight years old when he starred as Jeremy, the son of Dick Van d**e's Caracticus Potts, in the film of Ian Fleming's book Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. He found himself in the world of Hollywood, a whirl of press interviews and camera flash bulbs. He met the Queen at the film's premiere and was showered with toys.

Today, aged 45, he lives in West Sussex. His job? To teach budding stage managers. He tours the country lecturing aspiring actors. "I spend the two hours telling them not to do this," he says. "If 99 per cent of the audience listen, I believe I have been successful. And the one per cent who don't are probably the right people to do it, because of their determination.

"The profession is like betting on a three-legged horse. Who would take those odds? It is ridiculous, crazy."

His Chitty Chitty co-star, Heather Ripley, who, aged eight, played Mr Hall's twin sister Jemima in the 1968 film, paid a high price for her brush with stardom. She returned home to Scotland, her natural accent erased by elocution lessons, to teasing from school mates. For many years she blamed the film for the collapse of her parents' marriage. It was, she says, "the worst thing that ever happened to me". In later years, she lived the life of an eco-warrior and a single mother. Yesterday she said that stardom was a "terrible thing to inflict on a child".

She added: "It created an almost permanent sense of complete isolation. I was separated from my friends and family at an age when I think they are more important to you than anything. I still have a feeling of separateness hard to describe. I have huge difficulties in close relationships because of that."

Mr Hall credits his easy transition back into normal life to the grounded world in which he grew up. The son of an engineer and a nurse, he had been sent to stage school as a cure for his shyness. His family lived close to Pinewood studios during the filming. "It was easy for me," he says. "I was not away from my friends or my family. Every evening I would go home and go out on my bike. Heather had problems because she was away from home for 14 months. I was her only friend. You can't do that to a child. They start to believe that that is the real world."
Thanks to "outstanding" tutors at Pinewood, the young Mr Hall returned to school a year ahead of his age group. Although he endured some teasing, he was secure enough to cope with it.

In the ensuing years, he enjoyed a moderately successful West End career and married Barbara Ward, an actress. But their jobs never brought enough success or stability, particularly when they had their sons, Daniel, 26, and Nicholas, 23.

Mr Hall says: "When one of us wasn't working the other one was. But one year both of us didn't work and I decided it was time to take an ordinary job."

Fifteen years ago, he took a job teaching drama. Today, he is head of the production school of the Guildford School of Acting Conservatoire. Mr Hall says: "The job I am doing is the best job in the world. I would not be doing this job if it wasn't for the film. It all dominoed from there."

But Ms Ripley is keen to go back to acting. Now living in Scotland and with two grown-up children, she is about to start rehearsals for a film in Dundee.

When the West End stage version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang opened, the former child stars were given a taste of what life might have been like.

Mr Hall says: "We drew up outside the London Palladium and the road was packed so we got out of the car. Instantly, 30 or 40 people from the press started shouting "Adrian, Heather". I had a great time that night but I was back at work the next day, back in my office, where people just think of me as the boss. You have got to accept that it is not real life."

He worries about how the young Harry Potter actors cope with the adulation being showered on them. Whereas Mr Hall and Ms Ripley were paid a couple of thousand pounds for the film, Daniel Radcliffe, who plays Harry Potter, is said to earn a seven-figure sum.

Ms Ripley says: "My advice to the Harry Potter stars would be make sure you have the best possible lawyer and financial advisor you can find that you are sure you can trust. Expect to be exploited, and make sure you get decent qualifications at school."

Mr Hall says: "I hope they have people looking after them that are equipped to do this. My advice would be take three months off every year and do something real so you understand what it is to have to work, to have to find money and to have to deal with people who are not all telling you how wonderful you are."
---------

Actress who built successful career

Jenny Agutter: 'Don't take it seriously'

By Danielle Demetriou

The morning after the premiere of The Railway Children 34 years ago, Jenny Agutter found herself sitting on a train opposite a man reading a newspaper. Her picture adorned the front page.

Agutter recalls: "He didn't recognise me at all. I found it quite hard because I wanted to shout 'look, look, look that's me'. But I didn't, of course."

For today's child stars, whose images are beamed around the globe, to travel unrecognised on public transport may be impossible. But the perks and pitfalls of the life of a child star are unlikely to have changed much over the past three decades, according to Agutter.

The 51-year-old actress should know. Having landed her first film lead at the age of 11, she went on to win the affection of the nation with her performance as Bobbie in E Nesbitt's The Railway Children. While she has since established herself as a serious actress with more than three decades of success in stage, film and television, she is well aware that she will always be most remembered as "the girl from The Railway Children".

Agutter says: "Being a child star is not really a normal life. It's not something I would necessarily want for my son, who is 13. I would say to anybody who is really interested in being an actor: do not even approach it until they are of a mature age."

But it was at the age of just 11 that Agutter was plucked from her dance school to play the lead role in the film Ballerina. A handful of films followed in quick succession, ranging from Those Were Happy Times to Walkabout, until at the age of 16 she received the offer that would change her life. Then in 1968 she appeared as the innocent, bobble-hatted Roberta in a television production of The Railway Children, before reprising the role in a feature film two years later.

For Agutter, adapting to life as a child star was made easier by the fact that she had already travelled the world from Ceylon to Cyprus with her parents, who were in the services. The protection of her publicist Theo Cowan was also instrumental in her transition from schoolgirl to child star. She says: "I was with him from the age of 11 and the blessing for me was that this man removed any responsibility of any sort. My family were also very supportive without being very impressed. It's difficult in terms of pressure when there's a lot of money being invested in a film so it is terribly important to protect a child from this in that world." School was a different matter. When she started making films, she quickly became conscious of the negative reaction of her peers at Elmhurst Ballet School. She says: "I had a fantastic time making East of Sudan, tearing around Shepperton Studios. I wore a dark wig and said things like 'Oh look! Giraffes!' in a posh voice. But I never referred to it at school. I found that after the first film the kids treated me as if I was a bit snotty or snobby."

Agutter also became aware at an early age of the insecurity of life in the acting world. She says: "When I did my first film, it was an odd experience, as people were telling me I was going to be a big star. But, a few years later I was told my career was effectively over. It was still a game to me at that stage. I had only got the roles for fortuitous reasons, not on the basis of my acting skills. But by the time I got the role in The Railway Children, I was a bit older and I knew I wanted to act."

Agutter believes the fact that she was in her late teens made her better-equipped to deal with the nation's attention in the aftermath of The Railway Children. But it was at that point, ironically, that she found herself struggling. She explains: "There were no films being made in the UK at that time and I just found myself out of work and out of school. If you're a child actor, it's hard to get passed off as an adult actor."

The next three years were spent working on stage, culminating in performances at the National Theatre, before she moved to Hollywood. It was during her 16 years in America that she managed to escape from the shadow of her past and establish herself as an actress. Agutter, who now lives in Cornwall and Camberwell, south London, with her husband and son, says: "It was only when I came back at the age of 37 that I realised people in the UK still thought of me as the girl from The Railway Children."

But for the new generation of child stars emerging from the Harry Potter films, Agutter believes it is essential that they keep their success in perspective. She says: "It can be extremely hard for them to balance the success with real life. It's terrific if you have talent but don't forget to get on with your life. The difficulty with Harry Potter is that it has so caught the imagination of everyone. So I would say make sure you absolutely enjoy yourselves but do not take it too seriously."

31 May 2004 10:41

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (2003)
Reply #11 - 19. Nov 2013 at 15:02
Print Post  

Smiley I saw this afternoon this very comic movie. I liked very much the play of Scott TERRA in part of Sam. My movie rating is 7/10.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print