Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Billy Gilman found me (finally!) (Read 9,975 times)
YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Billy Gilman found me (finally!)
30. Aug 2003 at 17:22
Print Post  
After hearing so much about him, I finally broke down and got 2 of his CDs, 'One Voice' and 'Dare to Dream'.  Naturally, I see why he was (is) so popular -
a lovely boy, great voice, loaded with talent and, yes, I'm in love Smiley

I notice that these 2 albums seem to contain only original songs.  I'd love to hear him doing some of the oldie traditional ballads, folk songs, or whatever.

Can anyone suggest any of Billy's albums that might cover some of the older popular stuff?

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Billy Gilman found me (finally!)
Reply #1 - 30. Aug 2003 at 22:39
Print Post  
His Christmas Album is excellent..  it has some fine versions of traditional Christmas songs.  Some of the songs have a bit of a jazz feel about them, which Billy handled very well.  I was hoping he'd get away from the country stuff in later work, but alas it wasn't to be. I'd really have liked Billy to head more in the direction of Harry Connick Jr rather than Dolly Parton. Anyway I don't want to be unkind to him, it's his choice what he sings.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #2 - 31. Aug 2003 at 14:53
Print Post  
I wish he'd record that new song he's been working on:  "Sir J is the Best J of All!".    Grin

Well, he sang about dreams, didn't he?  I'd say we should let the boy Dare to Dream.   Roll Eyes

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #3 - 31. Aug 2003 at 18:59
Print Post  
I do plan to get his Xmas album Smiley

I love his laugh toward the end of 'I Wanna Get to Ya.'  So darn cute.  Sounds like he really enjoyed that one!

(Sir J, stay out of that poor kid's dreams  Shocked)

IP Logged

Deano

BA Member

Reply #4 - 06. Oct 2004 at 05:30
Print Post  
You should also listen to Billy Gilman's tribute Cd "Music Through Heartsongs: Songs Based on the Poems of Mattie J.T. Stepanek" (dscd)

Here is a short bio of Mattie:

Mattie J.T. Stepanek was a 13-year-old young man who was born with a rare neuromuscular disease called dysautonomic mitochondrial myopathy. His disease is one of the 43 types of diseases being researched by the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

One of the things Mattie did to help him cope with loss and continue celebrating life is to write. Since the age of three, Mattie was dictating, recording, and writing poetry, short stories, and essays about many topics, such as grief, nature, love, disability, hope, life, and peace. He put together his first collection of poetry at age five for a school contest. At age 11, he became a New York Times bestselling author when his volumes of poetry were published. Now, he has had five books of "Heartsongs" poetry collections reach the New York Times bestseller lists. His second book, Journey Through Heartsongs, reached all the way to number one!

In addition to writing, Mattie loved public speaking. In his role as the National Goodwill Ambassador for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA), Mattie did a lot of speaking about how the MDA helps kids and adults with neuromuscular diseases.

Mattie was very lucky to have met many wonderful people during his journey through life. He became close friends with lots of great people, including Jimmy Carter, Oprah Winfrey, Larry King, Christopher Cross, Lance Bass, and Billy Gilman. During 2003, Mattie and Billy Gilman collaborated on a CD project, Music Through Heartsongs. On the CD, Billy sings 12 of Mattie's poems that have been put to various styles of music, including Celtic, soft rock, Hawaiian, country, jazz, and pop-Christian style. One of his favorite tracks, I AM/Shades of Life, was made into a music video, where Mattie had a cameo part.

Mattie felt very blessed just to be alive at age 13. Children born with his disease do not usually live very long. Mattie knew that each day was a gift, and he made the most of it. He said he got his strength from God and his mom, and also from the people that became part of his circle of life. "People tell me I inspire them. And that inspires me. It's a beautiful circle, and we all go around together, with and for each other. What a gift," said Mattie.

UPDATE ON MATTIE:  Mattie died at Children's National Medical Center in Washington D.C. on Tuesday, June 22nd 2004, according to a statement from the hospital. He had been hospitalized since early March for complications related to the disease that weakened most of his body's major functions. Mattie was 13 and is survived by his mom Jeni.

"Mattie was something special, something very special," entertainer Jerry Lewis, who chairs the Muscular Dystrophy Association, said in a statement. "His example made people want to reach for the best within themselves."

After the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon, Mattie's site will be updated and maintained in his honor and to keep his messages of hope and peace alive and spreading.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Mattie JT Stepanek RIP

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #5 - 07. Oct 2004 at 11:50
Print Post  
Thanks Deano...

Mattie sure made an impact...  a very special kid.

..and who better to sing his messages than BG.

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12. Jul 2012 at 00:59
Print Post  
cal-Q-L8 wrote on 30. Aug 2003 at 22:39:
His Christmas Album is excellent..  it has some fine versions of traditional Christmas songs.  Some of the songs have a bit of a jazz feel about them, which Billy handled very well.  I was hoping he'd get away from the country stuff in later work, but alas it wasn't to be. I'd really have liked Billy to head more in the direction of Harry Connick Jr rather than Dolly Parton. Anyway I don't want to be unkind to him, it's his choice what he sings.

He lived the 1st 7 years of his life of a farm, I think that's why Counrty music comes so naturally to him!

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12. Jul 2012 at 01:01
Print Post  
Sir Jacob wrote on 31. Aug 2003 at 14:53:
I wish he'd record that new song he's been working on:  "Sir J is the Best J of All!".    Grin

Well, he sang about dreams, didn't he?  I'd say we should let the boy Dare to Dream.   Roll Eyes

Love,
Sir J

read the Forward on the album cover to the "Dare To Dream" CD he mentions that very thing, his dream had come true!

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #8 - 23. Oct 2012 at 03:50
Print Post  
I've been listening to a lot of BG's songs recently... I have nearly all of his albums (idk if I have the latest)... they are all amazing.  And it's nearly Christmas, so I'm sure I'll be breaking out his Christmas album again soon. It's one of my favorite for the season.

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 23. Oct 2012 at 04:57
Print Post  
TheSwede wrote on 23. Oct 2012 at 03:50:
I've been listening to a lot of BG's songs recently... I have nearly all of his albums (idk if I have the latest)... they are all amazing.  And it's nearly Christmas, so I'm sure I'll be breaking out his Christmas album again soon. It's one of my favorite for the season.

I had 2 of his albums, One Voice and Dare to Dream, I lost them when my mobile home burned, I walked away with ONLY the clothes I was wearing! Cry But my biggest loss was the loss of my cat Cry
Note the boy in my profile pic, Aaron Carter, another amazing voice and talent!! Grin

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #10 - 23. Oct 2012 at 05:03
Print Post  
Quote:
Note the boy in my profile pic, Aaron Carter, another amazing voice and talent!!

sorry to hear about your cat... and the rest of your stuff :/  Aaron is great... but it doesn't look like your profile pic has changed... still David Tom?

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 23. Oct 2012 at 05:22
Print Post  
TheSwede wrote on 23. Oct 2012 at 05:03:
still David Tom?

On my end it's showing Aaron Carter as my profile pic, Hmm! I wonder what's going on?

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #12 - 23. Oct 2012 at 18:25
Print Post  
Quote:
On my end it's showing Aaron Carter as my profile pic, Hmm! I wonder what's going on?

ok, NOW it's aaron Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print