Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Kid from Chaaba, The (1998) (Read 4,527 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Kid from Chaaba, The (1998)
08. Sep 2003 at 22:37
Print Post  

A French movie about an Algerian boy living in the slums of Lyon in the sixties.

I haven't watched this yet, but I taped it from television this weekend. I was doing some work on the computer while it was playing so I wasn't paying a lot of attention, but it looks like a really good movie. I'll tell you more whenver I find the time to watch it.

Meanwhile, here are a few quick caps I made while it was playing. [shameless publicity]You will find a few more on my website, as well as a brand new journal entry for your reading pleasure. Click (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).[/shameless publicity]

Bouzid Negnoug
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Nabil Ghalem
« Last Edit: 07. Jul 2008 at 06:14 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: The Kid from Chaaba
Reply #1 - 08. Sep 2003 at 23:58
Print Post  
This one looks interesting!   Smiley

I like the way the new Journal at your site allows you to be more conversational and informal, too, and today's entry was very good. A lot of us are going to be stopping by there regularly to see what movies you're watching.   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 10. Sep 2003 at 13:32
Print Post  
I often tape movies but for one reason or another it is often weeks before I watch it. I guess the important thing is actually having it there to watch when the opportunity arises.

Thanks as always for the caps  ...and I'll go have a peek at your diary, errr, journal too.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 07. Mar 2004 at 09:37
Print Post  
I finally got to see this movie. It was shown here on our community TV station... which has a lousy transmitter so the picture was a bit snowy, albeit watchable.

I was very taken with young Bouzid Negnoug who played the central character Omar...  very natural and believeable performance. Gorgeous face.

Not a bad movie either, neo-realist style. I'd recommend it without hesitation.

My movie rating 8.5/10
Boy movie rating 9/10

I did make quite a few caps but they are pretty grainly so I'll just post a couple in reduced size because I was so smitten with Bouzid's sweet face:

The first cap is just after having a bath he is dressed in a white ceremonial gown and is contemplating his fate:

...his fate (in this instance) is losing something near and dear to him. No I'm not a raving anti-circumcision crusader but I did wince, grit my teeth and curl my toes when he let out a cry of pain during the procedure...  OUCH!!!

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #4 - 07. Mar 2004 at 13:23
Print Post  
I'd really like to see this one, and can only hope that if and when it comes out on dvd, they'll subtitle it in English.

I can't read French, but there seems to be a lot of information about it, and several more pics from the movie, at this site:

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #5 - 08. Mar 2004 at 06:13
Print Post  
Thanks SJ...

Interesting site...  seems to be a bit of a study guide for students.

I've translated a couple of passages:

Gone of Chaâba, the first feature film of Christophe Ruggia, plunges us in the heart of a small shantytown in the suburbs of Lyons. The film describes the life of Algerian children born in France after the first wave of the Algerian workers migrated to France, and one child in particular, nine year old Omar, with his joys and sorrows. In spite of the disadvantaged living conditions, the problems of people are never shown as something for us to pity.  It is a rather funny, sensitive and extremely human film which gives a message of joy and hope and at the same time a chance to discuss topical themes of poverty, integration and the benefits of a good education. Gone of Chaâba is an adaption from the  autobiographical novel of Azouz Begag.

Omar is nine years old and is French. He is torn between the French culture and the Algerian culture. He takes refuge in reading and is one of the best students at his school. The childhood of Omar is that of the author of the book (Azouz Begag) who is a famous writer today.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print