Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Haley Joel Osment (Read 14,546 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Haley Joel Osment
20. Oct 2003 at 20:49
Print Post  
(posted on a newsgroup)

The Times, October 20, 2003

The Kid Stays in Pictures

By Ian Nathan

Adolescence can make or break the fortunes of a child star, but Hayley Joel Osment is managing his career as comfortably as his hormone rush. Let's hope it lasts

AH, THOSE fateful teenage years. That petulant brew of hormones that transforms a once delicate cutie-pie whose cherubic smile was a veritable sunbeam of delight into a lumbering creature from some Lovecraftian netherworld assailed by acne, mood swings and a voice that has landed three octaves lower than the late Barry White.
Remember the angel-faced tot from The Sixth Sense who kept seeing dead people? Recall the mystical sprite from A.I., the blond Pinocchio who dreamt of a mother's love?How about the fatherless moppet in the Kevin Spacey film Pay It Forward, who wanted to pass on benevolence and good will to all? Well, Haley Joel Osment has hit 15 and expanded into a gangly youth - as can be seen in his new film Secondhand Lions - who has ditched his pet geckos for Led Zep records and "hanging out" with his mates. And he rather fancies a shot at an action movie.

"Yeah, that would be good," he says in a disarming baritone. "I'm quite into that stuff now. Even a teen comedy if the script was good."

What's this? The funny thing about child stars like Osment is that you think they should be immune to puberty, forever frozen in the childhood sanctity of their screen beginnings. But life always catches up. And the next few years are make or break. Will you rise to the heights of Jodie Foster or plunge into the ignominy of Macaulay Culkin? "You hear of the negative stories," says Osment with the flip but polite ease of someone who had handled thousands of interviews by the time he was ten, "but I think there is more of the positive stuff; you just don't hear about it. I look up to those who've made it through young acting to adult acting and I just aspire to deal with my career in the same way.

"I look up to Ron Howard because of his segue into directing. Making it through that period of transition."

It seems there is one thing that hasn't yet slipped away in Osment's growth spurt: that preternatural wisdom. The sense of a sophisticated adult trying to escape from a child's body (well, teenage body now).

He talks of his "career philosophy" and an awareness of what is required of him to make it to the next stage: "With the film industry it is hard to predict that far into the future. The only plan you can have is to have certain ideals about how to get through the periods that are ahead. Sometimes it is harder to find that role, like the age between 13 and 18. You are growing so fast it is hard to fit a role for you."

So why not pick a role about growing up? The amiable parable of Secondhand Lions lands a taller but no less forlorn Osment in the company of his two eccentric uncles, played with delicious asperity by Michael Caine and Robert Duvall. He is seeking fatherly guidance, a light on the path to manhood. And, among their tall tales of derring-do, he finds the answers he needs.

It's the kind of cornball sentimentality permissible in a story played out against a dry-bed Texas of the Sixties. "The script expresses a universal significance," says its young star. "It sort of represents anyone's period of growing up."

The mirror image with life is obvious. Osment spent much of his time on set listening to the old timers recount the fiery days of their youth. It was a learning experience for the young actor. "They had so much to tell," he says with a laugh. "You couldn't help but learn things, these guys have done so much."

And lasted so long. It's a place well worth aiming for. Not that he is exactly a fledgeling; this is an actor with more than a decade of experience under his belt.

He began at the tender age of four, when his father, the actor Eugene Osment, wondered whether an expansive imagination might be best employed in acting. After a couple of commercials, his son clearly had a taste for it.

"I really enjoyed going to those large-scale auditions, even though I didn't really get what was going on. Being on set for one day of a commercial shoot I just got into it. Which led to my first movie audition for Forrest Gump, and I got that."

From playing Tom Hanks's son in one massive hit, he went straight into another. The supernatural thriller The Sixth Sense revealed a remarkable poise, and his performance as the fatherless Cole Sear (it's a theme), who could spot the walking dead, landed him an Oscar nomination.

The winner that year (2000) was Michael Caine, who took time in his acceptance speech to laud the young professional.

"I don't think you can be born with it," says Osment modestly of his talents. "It is something you have to learn from other people. I just have a tendency towards that kind of thing."

Now the really big guns were taking notice. The rumour mill had him as a dead cert for Harry Potter, until J. K. Rowling demanded an English actor for the role. He claims not to have paid attention to the fuss. After all, Steven Spielberg wanted him for his mysterious Stanley Kubrick project known as A.I.

"That was such a huge honour. After The Sixth Sense came out Steven asked to meet me. He discussed very briefly the project he had in the future. A couple of months later we had a few more meetings, just about the script. And from there it just sort of happened."

It was another stunning performance: a life caught at the edge of humanity, something otherworldly and creepy. It also had people wondering if this was a very weird kid indeed. But as outlandish as the roles became, Osment is at pains to emphasise how run-of-the-mill and grounded his home life has been.

His education has been very structured: he has kept the same on-set tutor for years and never loses track of where he is in the school year. In fact, he is reputedly a straight-A student with a predilection for American history. He mentions going to college and exploring areas other than acting that could lead to a career. Although when pressed on what it could be, he sags and the teenager emerges from beneath the professional veneer.

"I don't know, you know?" he sighs. "There's nothing specific set, but I am only halfway through my schooling right now."

There is something gratifyingly down-to-earth about Osment. There is no sense of the potential peevishness that might stem from having reached stardom by the age of ten. This may be partly down to the steady upbringing: his father has guided his son's career skilfully to this point, while his mother is a teacher.

He has also been keeping good company. Duvall, Caine, Hanks, Spielberg and Spacey are not ones to play the games of entourage and demand. It's little wonder, then, that Osment prefers to talk about his craft than about girls and parties. Even at 15 you wonder if he has ever stayed up later than 10pm.

"You just enjoy what was good with the movie," he says sagely, "and all the bonuses that come with a movie being a success and not taking it for anything more than it was."

The future may indeed be an unpredictable thing, but surely it will make room for Osment. The lost boy of his early years will have to be jettisoned, but through the maze of acne, girls and indifferent slasher movies, there may just emerge a real actor.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Haley Joel Osment
Reply #1 - 20. Oct 2003 at 23:48
Print Post  

Nice piece Joseph... thanks for posting it.

I think I might spend some time doing a few more cut and pastes..  I've noticed that a lot of neat biographies disappear from websites due to kids getting older or changing agents or dropping out of the business...

..so I'm going to repost all the biographies I find in this forum before they disappear for good.

this is one from HJO's official site:

I first heard the name Haley Joel Osment in 1999, shortly after the release of his breakout film, THE SIXTH SENSE. Thing is, I heard it everywhere. Casting was in progress for PAY IT FORWARD, the film based on my novel of the same name, but I was not involved. I was just keeping my fingers crossed. I started getting calls and e-mails from friends who said, “You have to see ‘The Sixth Sense.’ You have to see this kid act. You won’t believe how good he is. They have to get him as Trevor. Tell them to get Haley Joel Osment.” I saw the film. I couldn’t believe how good he was. But it wasn’t my job to cast the role of Trevor. I could only hope.
A month or two later, I heard that Mimi Leder, the director of PAY IT FORWARD, had a meeting with Haley. On November 19th it was official. Haley was by then a respected celebrity actor, and I was lucky enough to see him portray my vision of the 12-year-old who changes the world.

Behind every “sudden success” is a long road spanning many hard years. I knew that Haley Joel Osment didn’t come out of nowhere to co-star with Bruce Willis in THE SIXTH SENSE. I had seen him in the T.V. sitcom THUNDER ALLEY, and playing the youthful version of Tom Hanks in the hit film FORREST GUMP. I had also seen him in BOGUS, the 1996 film that starred Haley alongside Whoopi Goldberg and Gerard Depardieu. Or maybe it’s more accurate to say they starred alongside him. The movie revolved around Haley’s character; he was on screen for almost the entire film. BOGUS could well have been his breakout film. But somehow it was THE SIXTH SENSE that got the attention of almost everyone on the planet. A supporting-actor Oscar nomination followed, and woke up the one or two who might have been left over. When he was first cast in PAY IT FORWARD I would say, “Haley Joel Osment…” Pause. “…the kid from ‘The Sixth Sense.’” Then the praise would flow. By the time PAY IT FORWARD premiered, I just said, “Haley Joel Osment.” There was no time to say more before the praise started. There was no need.

But the story goes back further--all the way back to a shopping trip Haley took with his mom when he was only four. They passed a video screen test-people in search of new talent. Haley asked his mom if he could give it a shot. He stood in front of the camera and read some lines. Soon after, he got a call for the Pizza Hut commercial that launched his career.

In addition to his early movie work, he also did TV guest appearances on MURPHY BROWN as Murphy’s son, Avery, and on ALLY MCBEAL as the dying boy who sued God. He also completed two made-for-TV movies, THE LAKE, and CAB TO CANADA.

When I first met Haley, we were on the set of PAY IT FORWARD. The Las Vegas shooting had wrapped, and the cast and crew were shooting interiors in a version of the McKinney home built on a Hollywood sound stage. The E.P.K. (electronic press kit) crew was on the set that day, and after my own interview I was invited to watch Haley’s. A little crowd gathered, just listening to him--and being impressed. How could someone so poised, so articulate, so calm and professional, be eleven? He seemed almost like a grown man in a kid’s body. By the time I left that day I’d watched him chase Kevin Spacey back and forth across the set, I’d watched him jump onto Kevin’s back declaring, “I am Leech Boy, and you can’t shake me off.” (Not entirely true-he ended up hanging head-down from Kevin’s waist before it was all over.) I watched him take off on his bike across the lot. Before Kevin Spacey left to chase him in a studio golf cart, he said of Haley, “He’s a forty-year-old midget.” I’m not sure which impresses me more-that Haley has an intelligence and professionalism far beyond his years, or that underneath it all he is a genuine, spontaneous, fun-loving kid.

Since then we’ve seen him blow everyone out of the water yet again as the non-human David in Stanley Kubrick’s A.I., the Steven Spielberg-directed drama about artificial intelligence. From the minute they showed his face on screen, I had goosebumps. The real challenge of this role is that David began as a machine with no emotions at all. When his “mother” programmed him with a series of random words, he was nothing but emotion, and his love for his mother became the driving force of his existence. Yet whether he played artificial intelligence with or without emotion, I was always able to see that in his face. He never just played the role as a human boy. Can another Academy Award nomination be far behind?

In 2002 we’ll get to see EDGES OF THE LORD, which he filmed in Poland shortly after completing his Trevor role.

Now the only question is: In what role will Haley amaze us next? I’d have to say: Just about any role he wants.
                                                                          -- Catherine Ryan Hyde, Author of "Pay It Forward"
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #2 - 21. Oct 2003 at 02:04
Print Post  
Thanks for those articles, guys.  Haley does have a special quality of control and level-headedness for a kid his age.  Not to mention intelligence - I don't remember hearing an adult use the word 'segue' in conversation!  (a couple years ago I went scurrying thru 3 dictionaries and couldn't find it)

I'm sticking with my hunch that Haley will someday be a successful actor-director.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #3 - 21. Oct 2003 at 22:55
Print Post  
I appreciate the articles, too.  Smiley

HJO is always going to be one of my favorites, even as a teen.  Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 22. Oct 2003 at 06:19
Print Post  
haley behind the wheel!
--------------------------
It was the Hollywood Awards Gala ceremony Monday night, and that means plenty of stars to see, including honorees like Anthony Hopkins, Drew Barrymore, and Goldie Hawn.

Haley Joel Osment was there to present and has a big, new project in the works. He says, "I am getting my driver’s license pretty soon."

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 22. Oct 2003 at 07:52
Print Post  
I love it when boys grow up and remember their roots (and their AF benefactors).

I'm glad he got the role SHL. It'll be really nice to see this movie.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 23. Oct 2003 at 07:11
Print Post  
wolverine haley -
--------------------------

For the event, the Philharmonic commissioned a piece by Tan Dun, who won an Oscar for the score of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." Dun thrilled the school children with "Inventions for Paper Instruments and Orchestra," a musical examination of the Chinese invention by creating unusual symphonic instruments from sprawling sheets of paper. The program also included a performance of Sergey Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolff," narrated by "Sixth Sense" star Haley Joel Osment.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #7 - 23. Oct 2003 at 09:03
Print Post  
interesting...   

I wonder how much Haley get paid for a gig like that.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 24. Oct 2003 at 03:20
Print Post  
michael caine interviewed in today's metro :

You grew up fast because your father went off to fight in World War II when you were only six. Could you identify with your co-star Haley Joel Osment - a famously precocious child?

Oh yes. He's an old soul. He's been here before as my mother used to say. People ask if it's difficult working with a child actor and I say: 'I don't know, I haven't been working with one. I've been working with a mature actor who happens to be a child.'

What do you think about child actors?

It's not necessarily a great idea but Haley's been lucky with his parentage and his own maturity. But for the little ones, it's a bummer. All that attention when you're so young. It makes them feel so important. I remember when my daughter Natasha was three and came onto one of my movie sets for the first time. I had a long speech and someone said: 'Quiet, rolling.' As I started, I heard my daughter say to my wife: 'Why do we have to be quiet just because Daddy's talking

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 29. Oct 2003 at 07:41
Print Post  
interview with haley.

why does the interviewer automatically assume haley is interested in meeting girls?

he might be gay!

BTW - i know the name of haley's school : shall i disclose it on the board?
-----------------------------------

Hayley Joel Osment

by Lesley O'Toole, October 29th, 2003

YOUR 60 SECONDS EXTRA STARTS HERE: At just 15, Haley Joel Osment is considered the best young actor of his generation. Starting out in commercials at five, he played Tom Hank's son in Forrest Gump and came to fame in The Sixth Sense, which earned him an Oscar nomination. He also appeared in Steven Spielberg's Artificial Intelligence: AI and his latest film, Secondhand Lions, is out on October 24.

Your colleagues say you're very mature and professional. Do you still feel like a kid?

I guess I don't pay a lot of attention to age. I just try and do my best on stage. Age is never really a factor. That's obvious in this film, where you have two very different generations. In acting everyone is on the same playing field, especially when you're working with such generous actors as Michael Caine and Robert Duvall, who greet every actor with the same respect.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: What was it like working with the lion in Secondhand Lions?

Everyone thought it was going to be really dangerous and it probably was. But it never made itself look like it was going to attack anybody. I was ready to go jump in the cage with that lion. I think I was one of the least afraid people on the set.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: What do you want to do when you grow up - continue acting or turn to directing like Jodie Foster, another famous child star?

I think it's very possible to do both, and Jodie has continued to act. I'd really enjoy getting behind the camera eventually, so I'll see how much that appeals when that moment comes.

What about college?

School has certainly broadened the interests available to me. And college, which I'm definitely planning on going to, is a big opportunity for me to see what else is out there. I'm planning on acting too, but it's not the only thing. I'll just have to see what I enjoy most later in life.

Do you have a tutor on set?

Yes, but when I'm at home I go to a normal school.

Are people at school phased by your movie star life?

It's something they had to get used to. But I think from the beginning all the other kids at school understood that I was just a kid like them. And I was really lucky to meet people like that. They just knew it was about who we were as fellow students, not about the acting business. We can talk about it, and that's fine, but it's not something they get taken with.

As an actor himself, does your Dad Eugene constantly give you advice?

Yes, he taught me how to act and still works with me today. He's been the biggest giver of advice since I started doing commercials when I was five. That was the same year as Forrest Gump - my first film.

What's the coolest thing you've bought with your earnings so far?

The money made by anyone under 18 in films can't be used until you're 18. So there haven't been any big purchases yet.

Do you get an allowance?

Sure yeah. I'm not a big shopper so I don't have too many needs. There's no set amount. It's pretty much what I need to get by.

Will you buy a car at 16?

Yes, probably, just to get to school. But I wouldn't expect anything too extravagant. Every 16-year-old wants a Porsche but it's very doubtful that I'm going to get that. I think I'll just have to save up for my car like a regular 16-year-old.

What about being a role model for other teenagers? Do you feel you can't have a beer in case a tabloid gets hold of the photo?

It's all about being confident with who you are and what you've been doing, that stuff shouldn't bother you. And nobody takes the tabloids too seriously. I can't say right now how I would react to that but I don't think it would bother me.

Is it difficult meeting girls?

Well, not at school because I know everyone. It's different in public, where recognition is a factor. But with the people I know, when you get to know somebody that goes away.

Do you do any sports?

This past summer I've been running six days a week with a cross-country team. I think right now I can do three miles in 18 or 19 minutes. I'm hoping to drop my time this year. I love it. It's the hardest thing I've ever done physically. When you're running, everything hurts. I think it's important for people to get to that level. It changes you.

Aren't you also an avid golfer?

Yes, and that's a lot less strenuous. My Dad's been my coach in that too. We try and get out there as much as possible. With golf, you can never get out there enough. It's weird. I think getting that little white ball into a hole so small just grabs you.

It sounds like you enjoy a challenge in life.

I do. And golf's really addictive. It's like slot machines. You know you're not always going to win but the one time you get a birdie, you know you have to come back for more

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #10 - 29. Oct 2003 at 17:44
Print Post  
aaaa, about the name of his school, I'd say unless it's a piece of information that is readily available to anyone (like, for example, if HJO is himself mentioning it on his personal website or something), then yeah. But otherwise, I'd rather you didn't mention it on the board. It's not really information that is of use to anyone here, I think, so we might as well avoid causing ourselves (or HJO) some potential trouble.

Thanks for the interview, though. It was an interesting read (as are all the articles you post here).

IP Logged

whillenwolf

Lost in beyond......

Reply #11 - 25. Apr 2004 at 20:44
Print Post  
Wow! Osment can run 3 miles in 18 minutes! Wow, he must be atheletic, I mean most people run 2 miles within 18 minutes! Well, I got to say, "He is a talented actor." Although he is talented, I wonder what he is like at school. I mean, schools everywhere, students have rankings of themselves, such as jocks, preps, geeks, nerds, punks, goths, and so on.  ??? Well, hope to see him in more movies, lol, but I think he puts his education first, so I bet after he passes high school and then university, he'll be acting more, unless he goes into a different profession. Smiley

*Whillenwolf*

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #12 - 15. Aug 2012 at 17:36
Print Post  
Smiley I saw Haley Joël in many movies, in particular Edges of the Lord and A.I which I saw recently. Very good play !

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05. Sep 2012 at 23:01
Print Post  
Haley is a fine actor, they just don't come any better! And it's because he loves acting, nobody could be that good, and hate what they do, I'm sure he will be a success in life and career!

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04. Oct 2012 at 21:37
Print Post  
YoungArthur wrote on 21. Oct 2003 at 02:04:
Thanks for those articles, guys.  Haley does have a special quality of control and level-headedness for a kid his age.  Not to mention intelligence - I don't remember hearing an adult use the word 'segue' in conversation!  (a couple years ago I went scurrying thru 3 dictionaries and couldn't find it)
He's getting there! I saw him last night on the promos for a new tv show, he had a baird! Shocked
I'm sticking with my hunch that Haley will someday be a successful actor-director.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print