Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Liam Aiken (Read 8,899 times)
cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Liam Aiken
21. Oct 2003 at 11:49
Print Post  
Reposted From B.O.Y.S.

(posted there by Festus)

This is from Latino Review, interviewer is Julian Roman. Note the comments about "Lemony Snickett" in the last 2 questions.

An Interview with Liam Aiken

Liam Aiken is a pretty sharp kid. I think of myself at 13 and I was a blabbering idiot. He makes the most of his role in Good Boy and deserves a lot of credit for it. Liam is poised for Harry Potter-esque stardom with his next role. He’s won the lead opposite Jim Carrey in Brad Silberling’s “A Series of Unfortunate Events”. That’s the title for the big screen adaptation of the wildly popular Lemony Snickett children’s books. Let’s hope Liam stays on the right track and doesn’t end up an E True Hollywood story.

What was the hardest part of making this movie?

Liam: Probably acting every day, because these dogs don’t talk back, obviously. It’s kind of confusing. There was a guy in the corner who would say the lines. So sometimes you would look over to him, because that’s how you refer to people. It was confusing but I got used to it.

Did you treat them like normal dogs or is it all the trainers?

Liam: Well, when they were working they were pretty serious. They were like on the trainer. Looking at him the whole time. You could play with them, but not the main dog. They didn’t want us to build a relationship, because in the movie he’s kind of cold with me. They didn’t him like wagging his tail or anything. All these dogs were pets; they have never been in a movie before. They were so well trained it was incredible. They could make them sneeze on command.

This is based on a book right?

Liam: Yeah, but the director wrote [John Hoffman] wrote it.

What did you like about making this film?

Liam: Well, I liked it because it had a better sense of humor than most movies I’ve seen recently. It had a sense of humor that I’m sure adults would like as well. I think it’s a good all around movie for everything. My mom thought it was really good too. That says a lot.

Are you ready to be a big star? This is your first starring role.

Liam: Yes, it’s my first starring role. It should be interesting to see what’s gonna happen.

How was it working with Molly Shannon and Kevin Nealon?

Liam: (Laughs) Oh they were so funny! They would do things they weren’t asked to do and it made the movie funnier. Their reactions, I guess from working on SNL, they got a comedic sense of humor that really shines through. They’re good serious actors too. I guess they are not known for that, but that can do that too.

You’ve made a lot of films, but not really a comedy. How was it different?

Liam: It’s a lot more enjoyable. This was my first one. It was a nice little change. I really liked it.

What do you do when you’re not acting?

Liam: I like to skateboard, a lot of normal stuff, you know. Have fun, hang out with friends.

Do you have any pets?

Liam: Actually I got a dog after the movie. I got an Italian Greyhound. It’s like Nelly in the movie. [Note: The greyhound was a gift to Liam from the movie producers.]

Did you pick which dog you liked the best?

Liam: Yeah, I liked Nelly. It’s like a nervous little runaround dog.

Did you get the one from the movie?

Liam: No, I got its cousin.

How do your friends react to your job? I take it none of them are actors?

Liam: No they aren’t. I’ve been doing it for so long they’re like used to it. They’re like I’m gonna be gone again. In the beginning they were curious to see what I was doing. But now that they know they really don't’worry about it.

Why did you want to start acting?

Liam: (Laughs) I needed a college fund. So I started off doing commercials and it expanded from that really. I was just going to do a few commercials, but I liked it so much, so I kept going.

How old were you when you started?

Liam: I was six when I did my first commercial.

What kind of movies do you like?

Liam: I like comedies and action type films. I really do like comedies actually. I like to have a good time.

What’s your favorite movie from this year?

Liam: Hmm, from this year, I really thought The Italian Job was good. I really thought that was good. It was very entertaining, kept you going, never really lagged. I was never like, when is this gonna end? I thought it was quite funny.

What was it like seeing the film all put together, with all the voices added?

Liam: It was so gratifying and cool to see how it ended up. You work on it and it’s really interesting to see how it’s put together. I was really curious how all the muzzle shots were going to look. I think it turned out pretty good.

What’s a muzzle shot?

Liam: It’s how they make their mouth movie.

What kind of film would you like to make?

Liam: I would like to make films like Good Boy. I thought it was fun. I kinda like that sort of movie, funny with serious tones. I really liked the way it turned out.

Did you know which actors were going to voice the dogs?

Liam: It’s funny kind because it happened as we went along. I know they had Matthew Broderick and Brittany Murphy. I know they wanted Carl Reiner. They were talking to all these people and then you find out they get them. It’s interesting to see. It was good. I liked it.

What’s it like being a child star?

Liam: It’s pretty interesting. Now that I think about it, if I was in school all year I’d be like restless. I’d want to be doing things, because it’s something I really like. You really do get restless. You want to do it.

Do you go to public school? Do you have any brothers or sisters?

Liam: Yeah, I go to public school. I don’t have any brothers or sisters. I’m an only child.

Who’s you favorite pro skater?

Liam: I like Eric Carson. He’s a great street skater. I like him the most.

Do you have another project lined up?

Liam: Yes, it’s called A Series of Unfortunate Events. We start filming in December. I play Klaus. We’re filming with Jim Carrey and Brad Silberling’s directing. It should be a lot of fun. It’s a big one, Lemony Snickett. I’ll be taking time off. It’s going to be a long shoot, four to five months. It’ll be a fun one.

Those are unbelievably popular books.

Liam: I know. We actually went out and saw the set work. It’s, when you see it, it’s like Lord of the Rings caliber. I thought it looked fantastic. I was like oh my god it’s so big. I read the books before I auditioned. It’ll be fun.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Liam Aiken
Reply #1 - 21. Oct 2003 at 23:45
Print Post  
That was an interesting article.  Smiley

I could kind of see Liam sitting there with his cute grin.  He does have one, don't you think?  Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 22. Oct 2003 at 07:46
Print Post  
Indeed, it's hard to think of a more impish grin than Aiken's. It reminds me of a lad that lived down the block some years ago. He used to come over and play with my son. He had a smile that was much like Liam Aiken's.

It was a funny situation too. My son was five years old, and the other boy was ten. Despite their age difference, they were inseparable. Both had "stinky" sisters, as they referred to them. Of course, the sisters were both precious little girls, but I thought it was so proto-boyish how they referred to them.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 19. Apr 2013 at 22:29
Print Post  
Smiley I saw Liam in several movies. I liked his very good play !

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 20. Apr 2013 at 22:04
Print Post  
Wow, this one's certainly been bumped. I thought Liam was excellent in 'Good Boy' and I'm not always keen on doggie movies. He was good in 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' though his part as Klaus was rather muted. It didn't give him much opportunity to express his acting abilities. The only other film I have of him on DVD is 'The Road to Perdition' but it's only a small part as the tragic young brother.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #5 - 22. Apr 2013 at 14:24
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I first saw Liam in

which I went to not knowing there was a boy in it...

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 26. Apr 2013 at 20:36
Print Post  
Got to admit Liam looks as cute as a button in that pic, 'hosenhaus'.
I note what you said about going to see a film and not knowing a boy was in it. I bought the DVD set of 'The Mummy' films starring Brendan Fraser. I was pleasantly surprised to find in 'The Mummy Returns' that Rich and Evie O'Connell have a ten year old son played by Freddie Boath. He is not credited nor is there even a picture of the boy on the DVD cover.

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #7 - 26. Apr 2013 at 21:55
Print Post  
Cinefan wrote on 26. Apr 2013 at 20:36:
Got to admit Liam looks as cute as a button in that pic, 'hosenhaus'.

Cheesy

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 13. May 2013 at 15:28
Print Post  
Cinefan wrote on 20. Apr 2013 at 22:04:
The only other film I have of him on DVD is 'The Road to Perdition' but it's only a small part as the tragic young brother.

I thought he did great, despite the small part he had, I actually didn't know it was him til I was on my third viewing of the film.

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 13. May 2013 at 15:31
Print Post  
Cinefan wrote on 26. Apr 2013 at 20:36:
He is not credited nor is there even a picture of the boy on the DVD cover.

Isn't that irritating when they completely disregard a boy actor like that!? it is for me!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print