Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Together (2002) (Read 7,636 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Together (2002)
08. Dec 2003 at 13:43
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 07. Jul 2008 at 05:54 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: together with you.
Reply #1 - 09. Dec 2003 at 00:24
Print Post  
Hey, that looks good, aaaa!

Thanks for the post.   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 13. Dec 2003 at 05:10
Print Post  
playing along with china's changing tune.

[review by neil norman in the london evening standard - 11 dec.]

a grateful patron hands a fistful of cash to a young violinist after his performance at a banquet.

having failed to persuade the boy's father to accept the money, the benefactor grins at the child :

"at least you understand how life works."

this little exchange perfectly encapsulates the thematic conflict of chen kaige's latest film : this is the new china, where a class of go-getting, ambitious professionals is at odds with the old values.

raised by his peasant father, liu cheng (played by liu peiqi), in a provincial city, 13-year-old xiaochun (tang yun) is a gifted violinist.

eventually liu cheng resolves to take his son to beijing to further his musical career.

the boy auditions for one of the city's prestigious music academies but is rejected; he is disappointed to learn that he would have won a place has his father benn wealthier.

undeterred, liu cheng engages the embittered and cynical professor jiang (wang zhiwen) to teach his son.

jiang lives in a kind of self-imposed squalor in a small apartment.

he treats his pupil more like a skivvy than a musical prodigy and before long the boy turns on him.

when it is revealed that jiang is broken-hearted after losing the woman he loved to a richer, more successful man, the boy is overwhelmed with confusion.

he has to juggle his feelings of anger (at his teacher for abandoning hope); sublimated love (for his ideal-father substitute); and passion (for his music).

everything changes when liu cheng takes his son to meet a new teacher; the sleek professor yu (chen kaige), who takes the boy on even though he already has a star pupil.

the stage is set for a contrived final showdown between the rival pupils.

as an emotional drama about father and son, this veers dangerously close to soap opera, with a last-minute revelation shamelessly designed to tickle the tear ducts.

it is best read as a paean to the power of music - while it is playing, the film is at its most persuasive.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 20. Dec 2003 at 06:37
Print Post  
there are some interesting viewer comments at IMDb.

i'd never really noticed that section of the site before.

i shudder to imagine how many comments there must be for a blockbuster.

is it unlimited comments or do they stop accepting them at some point?
------------
remind me how to put the IMDb symbol in a post.

you told me before and i've forgotten Embarrassed

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 20. Dec 2003 at 09:51
Print Post  
aaaa....

The link for any movie or actor that we have on the database can be included in any post by typing in the number of the movie profile... or actor profile. (each profile has a unique number at the end of it's URL address)

The URL on our database for the movie 'Together' is:

The number at the end of the URL is 1203. So to create a link to the profile type:

(movie=1203)   but substitute square brackets [---] in place of the parentheses.

The IMBd link will appear automatically...  clicking on the movie title will take one to the profile on BA or alternatively one can click on the IMBd icon to go to the IMBd page.  Smiley

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 21. Dec 2003 at 07:32
Print Post  
thanks for crystal-clear explanation.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 21. Dec 2003 at 08:50
Print Post  
Quote:
there are some interesting viewer comments at IMDb.

i'd never really noticed that section of the site before.

i shudder to imagine how many comments there must be for a blockbuster.

is it unlimited comments or do they stop accepting them at some point?

I'm pretty sure the comments are unlimited. It does become a little ridiculous with some movies. There are 2936 comments for The Matrix right now. That's for the first movie only. Add 2605 for Matrix Reloaded and 1702 for Matrix Revolutions.

But it doesn't end there! If you scroll down to the bottom of the main page of any movie, you'll see a section called "Message Boards" where it says "Discuss this movie with other IMDb users" or something like that.

The IMDb database - which is HUGE to begin with - actually has an individual message board linked to each and every one of the thousands of movies, tv shows, actors, directors and everything else covered in the database.

So if after reading the total 7243 user comments for the films in the Matrix trilogy you're still not quite sure if you want to see them, you can go check out the message board for The Matrix Revolutions, where you will find 181 pages of arguments and fighting between fanboys and anti-fanboys, all on the subject of The Matrix Revolutions. With 25 threads per page, that means about 4500 threads. I'm not sure how many replies each thread gets, on average. Many of them have less than 10 but others have more than 50, and the thread "Persephane Vs Her boobs" had 169 when I checked and seemed to be still very active so I'm guessing there's only going to be more!!

Of course, not all movies generate as much discussion as the Matrix. But that gives you an idea of just how absolutely massive the whole IMDb can be! I think most people just navigate the surface of the database, without realizing that there are all these other layers of stuff underneath.

About Together : I saw it and it's good. Smiley

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 22. Dec 2003 at 14:03
Print Post  
thanks for the info, josephk.

had i but world enough and time - i'd delve deeper into IMDb.

but i haven't got time Sad

that was a good idea - thinking up IMDb.

who's the originator - do you know?

has it made him rich?

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #8 - 23. Dec 2003 at 07:43
Print Post  
I'm curious as to how many people are employed by the site...  there would have to be an army of them by now.

IP Logged

zork
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 25. Feb 2004 at 20:30
Print Post  
Two pics from the Chinese Website:

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #10 - 26. Feb 2004 at 17:09
Print Post  
Thanks, zork!

Those two pics do make this thread more colorful.  They also bring back memories of my desire to play a stringed instrument when I was a child, before I found out that I had no talent.  Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print