Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) benjamin britten (Read 48,353 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

benjamin britten
14. Dec 2003 at 06:10
Print Post  
from the gossip column of the daily mail :

i trust mail readers will be suitably outraged :
---
the late benjamin britten's opera peter grimes - about a fisherman who literally works his young apprentices to death, and which is considered to be paedophiliac in tone - has been chosen for the education programme in the 2004 schedule for the royal opera house.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

confirmed bachelor sir benjamin, who became baron britten of aldeburgh, died in 1976.
-------
meanwhile - from the guardian :

About a boy

As Benjamin Britten lay dying, he turned to his childhood works for inspiration. Paul Kildea looks at the darker side of nostalgic music

Saturday December 13, 2003

The Guardian

Musical resolution, but no redemption: Mahler's Kindertotenlieder is a lullaby to a dead child

One of the most intriguing pieces in the Benjamin Britten archive in Aldeburgh is a school exercise book dating from Lent term 1929, when Britten was a 15-year-old student at Gresham's. It contains essays on Wordsworth and Shakespeare, eye-catching historical lineages and a page given over to the earnest resolution "that everyone shall be able to argue, to debate, to read aloud, and to lecture". But the book's significance lies more in a number of pages towards the end, in which the literary make-up of a proposed Sea Symphony is sketched, with mooted texts ranging from Beddoes and Wordsworth to Melville and Milton.

Britten was a precocious musician; as a schoolboy he had composed the tone poem "Chaos and Cosmos" and drawerfuls of sonatas and songs. So an ambitious orchestral plan such as this should not necessarily be viewed with surprise. He also had the example of Vaughan Williams's 1903-9 Sea Symphony to emulate (or denigrate), a work inspired by Whitman's poetry and the older composer's upbringing near the more polite waters of the English Channel, not Britten's beloved bleak Suffolk coast.

Yet this proposed symphony was not a schoolboy work. The sketch dates from the early 1970s, the last years of Britten's life: 40 years or more separate the schoolboy and the dying man whose words are recorded in this exercise book.

The composer's choice of sketchpad for this proposed large-scale work is telling. In this period Britten, an invalid owing to an unsuccessful heart operation in 1973, dipped into his childhood memories in an effort to begin composing again. He revised the languishing operetta Paul Bunyan, wrote the Suite on English Folk Tunes "A time there was..." (a bleak, nightmare vision of a time passed), and looked at other early works. He even plotted a setting of Shelley's "Dirge" in his Sea Symphony - a poem he first set as a 12-year-old, using an armoury of suspensions and resolutions, diminished and chromatic chords, to evoke Shelley's moaning and wailing for the world's wrongs.

Such works have come to represent a type of English artistic nostalgia, a memory of something lost, which governs the structure, content and pathos of each piece. This nostalgia for childhood is not confined to these last, invalid years of Britten's life; nor is it something peculiarly English - indeed, the way different composers and artists used nostalgia inadvertently or as a dramatic tool is a study of significance in 19th- and 20th-century art.

Nostalgia is present in Britten's oeuvre from his earliest works onwards (think of the 1934 reworking of childhood pieces into his Simple Symphony, or the 1968 collection of juvenile songs published as Tit for Tat). In purely artistic terms, it's clear that Britten saw huge rhetorical value in nostalgia: the sanctity and drama of childhood had a pulse and power equal to that of ghost stories or horror films. And it had clear generic boundaries, the transgression of which only added to its power. We see the same in Mahler, whose Kindertotenlieder (Songs on the Death of Children) Britten knew in 1935. Mahler's crime, though - at least in the eyes of his wife Alma - was not nostalgia, but tragic prescience: their own daughter died only a short while after he completed this bleak cycle.

Mahler did what Schumann in his Kinderszenen didn't dare: he explored the tragic potential of childhood - its early termination rather than its transformation into adulthood. This was, after all, only a short step from the forests of German Romanticism, where the spectral figure of the Erlkönig teases and beguiles, before taking the life of the child it professes to love. And Mahler's lifelong fascination with the folk mythology of Des Knaben Wunderhorn - with its dead boy soldiers marching through the village streets - ensured that he was well attuned to the twists and turns of Romantic folklore, with its own logic and grim reality.

Although Mahler employed Schumann's tricks - the lullabies, the dream reveries, the childlike perspectives, the essence of fairy tale - they were never used as innocently as they appear in Kinderszenen, most likely because Mahler wasn't, in essence, a nostalgist. The gentle momentum and musical contour of the third Rückert setting in Kindertotenlieder mark it out as a lullaby, but it is a lullaby to a dead child: "When your dear mother comes through the door... My first glance does not dwell on her face,/ But on the spot closer to the threshold,/ There, where your dear little face would be..." Similarly evocative is the storm-set final song, when the self-reproach of a mother for allowing her children out of her house "in such weather" turns to grim resignation that her children now rest elsewhere, "as in their mother's house". There is musical resolution, but no redemption.

In Kinderszenen, Schumann was determined to give childhood its full term; he was temperamentally unlike Mahler, happy to wallow in the sentiment that childhood memories allow. Many artists and writers shared the same determination: Richard Dadd with his sickly series of fairy paintings, notably Puck and the Fairies (1841), with its shimmering colours; JM Barrie, with his fly-flitter creation Peter Pan ("I heard Father and Mother talking about what I was to be when I became a man. I don't want ever to be a man. I want always to be a little boy and to have fun"); AA Milne, with his toy-animal utopia created as an antidote to the war horrors he had witnessed and imagined; Lewis Carroll's single-handed invention of the Victorian childhood as a pageant of nescience and sublimated desire.

Each is a desperate attempt to re-create in art "a time there was". But it is precisely these sublimated tropes, buried deep in the consciousness of the writer or the landscape of the written, that make this view of childhood more chilling than that of Mahler or Britten. The experienced mien of the begging Boy with the Violin in Britten's Hardy cycle Winter Words (a musical and symbolic tribute to the organ-grinder at the end of Schubert's cycle Winterreise, bringing death closer with each rotation of his crude instrument), is somehow more honest in his poverty than Peter Pan is in his fantasy.

Not that there isn't fantasy in Britten's invented childhoods: the cabin boy who scuttles the enemy pirate ship in The Golden Vanity, with a crew more chilling than that sailing the Flying Dutchman's ship; the Victorian serenity of The Little Sweep (although the actual source is the earlier Songs of Innocence and Experience by Blake). And indeed, his early use of the literary and artistic iconography of boyhood - not least Christ's - was often as a substitute for real sexual expression, which is just as jarring in Britten as it is in Barrie. But Britten, for all his occasional wallowing, remained alert to the Mahlerian danger of childhood: the victorious cabin boy is left to die in The Golden Vanity rather than be given his adult reward; the polite Victorian family in The Little Sweep emancipates Sammy, the sweep boy, from his cruel adult apprenticeship. For every song of innocence, there is one of experience.

The Golden Vanity was written for children, to be performed by children, but the warning of this Boy's Own Billy Budd is clear: with little provocation, adult systems of protection break down in the institution of childhood. Puck in Britten's opera A Midsummer Night's Dream - a million miles away from the simpering Victorian creature in Dadd's painting - is only too aware of this. He is a mixture of childhood naivety (not quite understanding the motivations of the dull mortals scarcely older than him) and adolescent urges. Adulthood beckons, and it is certain that he will make a better job of it than those wood-bound mortals whose destiny he for this night controls.

This is the crux of Britten's version of childhood: it contains all the danger (and frequently the death) of Mahler's, yet sometimes Britten allowed his children to grow up, investing them in the process with the potential of sensuality, of the erotic qualities of adulthood to come. His nostalgia, then, was organic: fixed in time, but not for all time. And for this mixture of reminiscence, hope and gritty reality, he, like Mahler, provided a most refreshing antidote to the archetypal Victorian childhood scene.

· Paul Kildea is author of Selling Britten: Music and the Market Place (Oxford University Press) and artistic director of Wigmore Hall, London

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: benjamin britten
Reply #1 - 18. Dec 2003 at 01:27
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing a very interesting article, aaaa.  Smiley

I've read a lot about Benjamin Britten lately, and it appears that there are many who would like to tar and feather him with some revisionist history, with innuendo about him being a closeted pedophile.  You can't change the fact that a man has talent and produces lasting works of art, though, and sexual preferences shouldn't even be an issue, except in understanding how they can sometimes be the inspiration for fantastic creativity and expression.

It seems from this article (I'd never read any of this) that Benjamin Britten was deeply affected by the sadder elements of childhood just as much as he was by the innocence and fantasy of childhood experience.  I think he'd have a whole new spectrum of sadness to deal with if he was here to experience society's attempts to deny men and boys deep emotional attachments to each other nowadays.  Undecided

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 18. Dec 2003 at 09:17
Print Post  
perceptive commentary, Sir Jacob - i couldn't agree more.
---
the evidence is clear - britten was a BL.

i haven't read carpenter's biography (yet) but it's all in the book.

according to the publishers' web site, a paperback version was released in the uk on jan 20 this year.

BTW - looking at the faber web site reminds me of a book i've read and can recommend to Boyactors readers.

it's a bit like a modern version of catcher in the rye.

albeit less literary and let down (IMO) by a very weak ending.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #3 - 18. Dec 2003 at 14:38
Print Post  
That book at those second set of links does look interesting, aaaa.  Smiley

Here's what one of the links said about the author:

<i>Pierre is like a grown-up version of his eponymous 15-year-old hero, Vernon God Little. His linguistic felicities (he refers to one disliked playmate as an "egg sac of a critter" and to himself as a boy of "big ole puppy-dog features like God made me through a crappity smacken magnifying glass") have been compared in their venom to Eminem, in their humour to South Park and in their explosive, colloquial poetry to Rabelais. As with Little, Pierre knows what it's like to experience "90 flavours of trouble riding on his ass," having been addicted to cocaine and run up such huge debts that he ripped off a friend to the tune of £30,000. Winning the most prestigious literary award in the country worth £50,000 will not counter the lesson of Pierre's past 20 years: that life is "a hard bastard" and "we should count ourselves lucky for just about everything, including drawing breath."</i>

I think I'll like his writing. Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 19. Dec 2003 at 03:56
Print Post  
yes - he's definitely got a distinctive style.

without spoiling the book for you, i think he should have received advice from a competent editor in regard to the conclusion.

it could have been searing and shocking; instead it's soppy and schmaltzy.

let me know what you think.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 03. Jan 2004 at 05:23
Print Post  
hear the author being interviewed.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 01. Jun 2004 at 02:45
Print Post  
June 01, 2004

Britten turned a strange infatuation into a virtue

Libby Purves

A FUNCTION of art is to express what otherwise might be inexpressible, irrational — or, from time to time, disgraceful. Together with religion and love it is one of the fragile threads that connect the banal reality of life with inchoate glimpses of a Truth beyond. I’m sorry to go all Platonic on you so early on a Tuesday morning, when you might reasonably be expecting a lecture on national obesity statistics: but I have just been watching the tape of a startling programme to be shown on BBC Two on Saturday.

On the eve of his Aldeburgh Festival, and in the month when his unnerving Death in Venice gets a rare performance in London, the 90-minute documentary is about Benjamin Britten. There are the usual pictures of reeds at Snape Maltings and fishermen dragging boats over pebbles, and plenty of choirs, musicians, busts, photos, devoted old colleagues and grainy archive film of the Master.

But John Bridcut’s brave and beautiful film, Britten’s Children, looks at the music written both for, and about, children; and charts unflinchingly, but without spite or prurience, the perilous history of his emotional relationships with boys. In the age of Michael Jackson and Operation Ore, when a teacher can find himself suspended more or less for ever on suspicion of the wrong kind of hair-ruffling, one can imagine senior BBC heads sinking into trembling BBC hands at the proposal.

They need not have. It not only illuminates Britten himself, but also throws much-needed light on to a subject of excruciating delicacy. Adults, gay and straight, do sometimes become besotted with beautiful children. They always have. Adulthood is a condition full of problems and compromises and shame; weak or damaged adults yearn for the simplicity and clean shine of childhood. Sometimes they conflate this longing with the sexual urge. That is hideously wrong. But sometimes the infatuation is wound up with the best of their altruism and creativity. What then?

Usually, by transmuting it into protective parental or mentoring activities, afflicted adults handle it without violating any child or doing anything remotely inappropriate. If they guard themselves well enough to transform an instinct into a virtue, this is not wrong. How can it be? We do not choose our feelings. What we have to do is control how we express them, and maintain a sane perception of the other person’s needs (many paedophiles fail, kidding themselves that the child desires them equally). If you want something wrong, you have to resist your desires. We all do.

Obviously, there are people who have no control, or refuse to see what harm they do, and who assault or seduce children. The last thing I want is give aid or comfort to those who write to me (usually on prison notepaper) claiming that their Lolitas or little boys “led them on”. To hell with these creeps: let them rot. We need to be vigilant. But our vigilance is helped, rather than hindered, by trying to understand that these feelings do not in themselves make a man a monster. It does not hurt to contemplate calmly the path which led them to this pass, and identify what might have stopped them.

The story of Britten and the boys is told more fully in the film than it has yet been, not least because of the unearthing in Australia of a splendid old man called Wulff Scherchen, his first boy “love” and model for his anguished Apollo music. Wulff shared a raincoat with him in Siena at 13 and then reappeared as an 18-year-old, staying at the Old Mill in Snape when the composer was in his mid-twenties. Mr Scherchen is now a husband of 40 years and a great-grandfather, but with endearing and still boyish frankness relates how he was carried away by the music Britten played and by the man’s kindness and playfulness. Mr Scherchen was not seduced physically: he makes that quite clear in his remarks that affectionate hugs were fine but he didn’t like kisses — “it’s not what boys do!”

But the music, the affection, the sportiness, the fast cars and larky schoolboy energy of the man seduced him in every other sense. The relationship ended when Britten went to America, finding an adult love with Peter Pears which kept him safe for the rest of his life. Mr Scherchen got on with his own life; years later Britten inscribed a book to him with none of the earlier dears and darlings, but “To Wulff, of course”.

The pattern went on. Boy after boy steps forward now without a shred of rancour to relate how Britten made pets of them, drew out of them not only musical talent but a rich, strange unboyish emotional openness. His childlike nature struck sparks with theirs; anyone who sang his music at school will recognise that energy. In his darker works he played constantly with the image of the innocent child in danger: the “lovely boy plucking fruit by moonlight in a wilderness” in Nocturne, the victim of Peter Grimes, Miles in The Turn of the Screw.

Bobby Rothman remembers being kissed good-night chastely on the cheek, and later finding himself the dedicatee of a ballad with the line “You’ve tied me to a boy and I fear he is too young”. Others spoke of swimming naked at night in the North Sea, staying with him, “adoring” him. A succession of parents displayed — by today’s standards — a complaisant and almost reckless attitude, and when one father demurred at a relationship, Britten was no end offended.

But the boys insist there was no molestation and that they loved him. In the case of David Hemmings, his muse for The Turn of the Screw, colleagues admit to camera that they were terrified that the great composer might “behave inappropriately”, so besotted was he. Plenty of people knew that Britten was a disaster waiting to happen. But it didn’t. Hemmings, filmed shortly before his death, cheerfully says he never did a thing, and that the only reason they once shared a bed was because he was scared. And when Sir Charles Mackerras made a casual remark about Noye’s Fludde, which is a vast musical rabble of children, being a treat for Britten, the composer heard of it and summoned him in cold fury: “Am I a lecher just because I like the company of children?”

That word lecher is pivotal: it dates Britten, and defines the gulf of understanding that separates him from modern sniggerers. The age of sexual liberation has made us strangers to the concept of lechery as a vice. By and large, if we want sex we feel entitled to it. We speak of the right to “express” sexuality, and extend that right with reckless optimism to almost every orientation, age, and mental ability. We forget how new a creed this is, and how over centuries civilisation evolved codes to make “lechery” shameful.

Britten came from that old culture; in an interview about his operas once he admitted: “I supppose there is something in that idea of sullied innocence which does excite me or occupy me.” But it occupied him precisely because it was taboo. From the testimony of the boys it seems clear that he could have been a molester, and was not. We should understand that this is possible. We should weave understanding into our treatment of the borderline paedophiles in society.

None of this is to say that Britten was a saint. Becoming besotted with pretty children is a flaw, and a powerful man’s willingness to flirt with danger is not edifying. But curiously — and I suspect that many genuinely seduced children will recognise this with pain — his worst behaviour came at the end. There is a needy, selfish unreality in that kind of love: when the boys grew older he dropped them.

David Hemmings tells a chillling story about the day his voice broke during an aria. The orchestra was stopped, the curtain came down, the understudy came on. After being Britten’s pet for three years, the 13-year-old was out. Britten, he says, never spoke to him again. “Which is sad.”

Very sad. Reprehensible. But you can gain more understanding of this dangerous zone from one calm arts documentary than from a thousand psychological treatises or angry rants.

Join the Debate at <a href="mailto:comment@thetimes.co.uk">comment@thetimes.co.uk</a>

<i>the documentary's at 21.15 hours on saturday preceded by turn of the screw.

Turn of the Screw

Sat 5 Jun, 7:25 pm - 9:15 pm  110mins

Turn of the Screw has been filmed specially for BBC television and shot on location in an 18th century house.

Based on the story by Henry James, Britten's opera tells of a governess who takes charge of two children at a distant country house.

She begins to see the ghosts of the dead former governess and her valet lover. As the ghosts begin to have an increasing effect on the young children the governess realises she must either leave or confront the spirits.

Eventually she is able to exorcise the supernatural visitors, but not without tragic consequences.

The Turn of the Screw is directed by Katie Mitchell, the highly acclaimed opera and theatre director whose television debut was the very successful BBC Wales production The Stepdaughter (based on the first act of Janaceck's Jenufa).

The production designer was Alison Chitty (renowned for her work in opera, theatre and on Mike Leigh's films) and the piece was conducted by Richard Hickox (acclaimed for his recording of Benjamin Britten's Albert Herring).

Quint ...... Mark Padmore
The Governess ...... Lisa Milne
Mrs. Grose ...... Diana Montague
Miss Jessel ...... Catrin Wyn Davies
Miles ...... Nicholas Kirby Johnson
Flora ...... Caroline Wise

Directed by Katie Mitchell.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #7 - 01. Jun 2004 at 12:24
Print Post  
It's amazing that a journalist in today's society would have the courage to write this:

<i>From the testimony of the boys it seems clear that he could have been a molester, and was not. We should understand that this is possible. We should weave understanding into our treatment of the borderline paedophiles in society.</i>

I sure hope I'm able to see this BBC documentary someday.  Thanks for telling us about it, apple.  Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #8 - 01. Jun 2004 at 15:21
Print Post  
I have to say I usually skip most threads in this section of the forum, since I'm not really interested in boy singers and boy bands. But I'm glad I decided to take a look at this thread, as it is filled with fascinating articles and information.

Thanks for all that stuff, Apple. I'm now very curious about the books and music mentioned in these articles. I will probably check some of it out.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 03. Jun 2004 at 15:05
Print Post  
discussed on bbc radio programme tonite - thursday.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #10 - 17. Jun 2004 at 04:51
Print Post  
i've been reading humphrey carpenter's biography.

tomorrow i'll be paying a tribute to benjamin's favourite movie.

<i>"the most perfect and satisfying film i have ever seen or hope to see...a colossal achievement."</i>

anyone guess what it is?

ben then bought the book on which the film was based and thought of writing a suite on the main character.

clue - the main character's a boy Grin

some months later ben was similarly affected by another movie.

he went to see it twice and was impressed, harrowed and thrilled.

a reviewer at imdb says about this second movie:

<i>...It's about the suffering of unloved children.

As such, it is certainly one of the inspirations behind Kubrick's and Spielberg's "A.I..."</i>

ben frequented news cinemas in london (there used to be quite a few cinemas located at railway stations etc which showed newreels and cartoons) - but most of all he loved relaxing with a good book.

he was a fan of arthur ransome.

also liked barrie's little white bird.

h.a.vachell's the hill

and hugh walpole's jeremy at crale.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #11 - 17. Jun 2004 at 12:39
Print Post  
while everyone's waiting - in a state of heightened tension - for revelations re ben's filmic fulfillment - here's some amusing extracts from the biography :

<i>some of britten's own tastes were still that of a small boy.

he loved jig-saws and at easter 1931, when he was seventeen, wrote in his diary :

"it's good to get back to sweets after six weeks of lent"!...

when he heard a broadcast of <u>tannhauser</u> in june 1932 he was disappointed by the soprano who sang the role of the shepherd lad - "why not a boy for this?"

and he was sufficiently attracted by robert graves's poem `lift boy` with its evocation of boyish carelessness ("nothing in my pockets but a jack-knife and button"), to make it one of a pair of part-songs he composed during 1932.</i>

lift boy :

Let me tell you the story of how I began:

I began as the knife-boy and ended as the boot-man,

With nothing in my pockets but a jack-knife and a button,

With nothing in my pockets.

@

Let me tell you the story of how I went on:

I began as the lift-boy and ended as the lift-man,

@

I found if very easy to whistle and play

With nothing in my head or my pockets all day,

@

But along came Old Eagle, like Moses or David,

He stopped at the fourth floor and preached me Damnation:

`Not a soul shall be saved, not one shall be saved.

The whole First Creation shall forfeit salvation:

From knife-boy to lift-boy, from ragged to regal,

Not one shall be saved, not you, not Old Eagle,

No soul on earth escapeth, even if all repent-'

So I cut the cords of the lift and down we went,

With nothing in our pockets.

here's an entertaining extract; interested persons can detect a a <U>CLUE</u> to ben's favourite film - cuz the youthful protagonist of that movie sort-of follows in the footsteps of the great investigator mentioned below :

<i>frank was headboy or senior prefect and in charge of our dormitory.

he had his own little room or cubicle.

one night he was supposed to have checked that we were all in bed.

and i had gone into a friend called Gamble's bed.

i knew nothing about sex at the time.

it was to tell him a conan doyle story.

the headmaster, seale, came in with a torch in his hand and found me in bed with this other boy.

of course, it was his bed.

so i was the guilty one.

seale had me in his room the next morning and asked me what i was doing in Gamble's bed.

i told him i was telling him a story.

"a story, what story?", he said.

so i told him it was the sherlock holmes story, <u>the speckled band</u>

he gave me six of the best for my trouble.

"that will teach you not to tell stories", he said.</i>

[`six of the best` is brit colloquialism for six strokes of the cane - when sado schoolteachers were allowed to administer corporal punishment.]

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #12 - 17. Jun 2004 at 13:46
Print Post  
<i>"the most perfect and satisfying film i have ever seen or hope to see...a colossal achievement."

anyone guess what it is?</i>

Well, I could take a guess, but I'm always wrong when I guess things like this.  I'll just look forward to your post tomorrow.   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #13 - 17. Jun 2004 at 15:30
Print Post  
it's almost tomorrow now - so here's the amazing news Grin

ben's favourite movie was emil and the detectives.

the original 1931 version.

there were three subsequent remakes.

childactors's link below is about walt disney version.

he also liked "the man who knew too much" because of nova pilbeam - "a little darling...so lovely to look at".

although nova was a girl Shocked

the second major movie he liked was <u>poil de carotte</u> - because of "glorious" robert lynen.

according to imdb there seem to be a lot of remakes of that too.

there's a dramatically premature end to robert's life - see french link. Sad Cry

for those who aren't fluent in french, i append below a machine translation which provides the gist of the web page.

it would take me too long to personally cobble together a decent translation.

i'm tired.

the book only came out a couple of years ago; i don't suppose there's an english translation.

google search for book.

François Charles, Life and dead of carrot Hair. Robert Lynen, actor and resistant 1920-1944, The Blue Cloud, Strasburg, 2002. In this year where the national Competition of the Resistance and Deportation concerns the engagement of the young ones in the Resistance, the work of François Charles, devoted to one of the " resistant young " the most famous one, falls to peak. Sacred child prodigy of the French movie to 12 years, for his incarnation of the hero of Jules Fox in the adaptation of Duvivier, Robert Lynen knows a heroic and tragic destiny during the occupation: it is involved himself as early as 1940 in the clandestine action to Marseilles, then becomes agent of the network Alliance of Bride madeleine Fourcade. In 1943, his destiny tips: it is stopped at the same time the whole sector marseillais of the network, tortured, transferred in Germany, condemned to death and executed in April 1944.

The big one deserve this biography - the first one that is consecrated for him - is to give us the keys to understand this traverses exceptional. Not that his resistant itinerary be it: of young others of his age, as Philippe Viannay or Serge Ravanel, will see entrusted themselves national responsibilities in the clandestine organizations, without commune measures with this that one knows activities sum all " ordinary " liaison agent Lynen: anthology of pieces of information on the occupying, mail transportation and of émetteurs-récepteurs, recruitment. But to the cœur of this moving destiny , there is the question of the engagement, an engagement remarkable by his precociousness.

Classical question for the first rebels of 1940, that were only a handful : how do they trouvèrent-ils in them moral even the springs to drag itself from general despondency? She puts herself doubly in the case of a " child star " movie ÿ - the film of Duvivier had had an international success, of the " clubs of fans " had constituted themselves to Japan! - Of which the career was again some to become.

After the shooting of two other roles of child (The small king, Without family), Robert Lynen, enter into the adolescence, had been able to unhook only some first roles in very secondary films, except maybe The Small Thing of Maurice Bell, and apparitions fugitives in two œmajor uvres (The Beautiful Equipe, Dance Notebook). The occupation could offer to him - she the fit for all a new generation of actors - the timeliness to be done a place to the sun , profiting from it recreation thirst of the French obsessed by the scarcities, air call created by the exile or the exclusion of already consecrated talents, and, eventually, juicy contracts of the German Continental firm. What the poussa therefore to refuse all (except shooting Épisodique of two films minors, no financed by the Germans) and to risk his life?

The explanation holds a lot to the so unique history of the family Lynen. Placed in appearance under the sign of a " life of bohême " away from the realities of the era, she reveals herself to the examination carrier of experiences more complex , deeper and stronger that certainly prepared the young man to confront the major choice of his existence.

His father, of alsatian origin, loosened the industrial drawing to traverse europe on foot while painting. In 1905, it embarked himself for the United States , where it met the soul on, Mildred, also artist (song and piano ) and voyageuse as him. After five years of pérégrinations to two, they had the luck to secure itself friendship with a rich heir of the even soaks that them - indifferent to money and crazy in love of art - charles-james Onimus. Accommodated in one of the onimus villas on the azure Coast, living of sale of pictures and of piano lesson in a worldly environment and artist , they had two first children, Edgar and May.

The friendship of the trio rests on choices deep lives. In 14, lynen-père and Onimus assume all two the same option antibelliciste: the one does to reform itself and tries to work with the Red Cross, the other is involved itself as nurse. After the war, the Lynen abandon without soul state worldly life for student of the goats and cows in a farm jurassienne to Nermier , that onimus puts at their disposal. This is there that Robert passes the three first years of his life, to the narrow contact of the nature; and his education will remain unique, even after the return of the family to Paris. Lynen-père is itself determined to loosen partially his paint for the industrial drawing, in order to make his family live, but Robert will not go to the school before 9 years, his mother assuring his apprenticeship.

One cannot prevent oneself from think that the personal choices of the parents, this manner to be indifferent to the social position, to accept a goes out favorable material or no, provided that it leaves entire the liberty to devote itself to its passions, infused very early with Robert. Recruited by chance for Carrot Hair (it had just been registered by his mother to the school of the Children of artists and not never nothing had turned), it seems to have lived his film career of child prodigy with a total, exempt detachment of all cabotinage. What one some judges by this dialog with Louis Jouvet, that was his partner in 1938: " You know it my small Robert , that you are bad as a cow? - Oh yes, m'sieur Jouvet. - And you yourself in crazy? - Oh no, m'sieur Jouvet, but me, the movie, that does not have fun me. This that I like, this is the camping ".

The anecdote , retrieved by the scriptwriter Carlo Rim, is not harmless; its former friends indicate the recurrent distance that it will post with regard to the trade of actor, in spite of an evident natural talent. Robert looks for itself Really: to 16 years, the moment a first role to the theater was proposed for him , it tried to run away to be involved itself as foams on a boat to Rouen. The uncertainty on his deep being worsens itself of the two family dramas under the sign of which ones it grew. In 1925, Edgar,le brother elder, dead east of an injury to the poorly cared one for knees. Ten years after, this is his father that committed suicide, doubtless despaired to begin losing the view and to meet eternal money problems.

This from that time his brother-in-law Rock Henneguier, married to May, that plays a little the role of family boss and, with respect to him, of elder brother. Henneguier maintained with Robert the family taste of the nature and trips, while the taking to camp and go boating " on all the France rivers ". But this is also him that the brought back Rouen, to the moment of his attempt of runs away. At last, Henneguier is, on the eve of the war, journalist to tonight, aragon the newspaper, support of republican Spain.

What his brother-in-law be for Robert an instigator or a model becomes evident during the France country. Robert wants to follow them in the frank body where Henneguier carried itself voluntary - in vain, evidently, seen his age. Also when, after armistice, Henneguier musters some friends to Marseilles for " to do something ", Robert wants right away some to be.

At first , one gropes: thanks to a friend banker, the small group creates Azure Transportation , a transportation corporation by trucks, that it hopes well to do to serve to clandestine activities. The group succeeds in conceal weapons , does to pass pieces of information to the the one father of them, Reemerged Gimpel, linked to the Polish network F2, broadcasts the clandestine leaf The small Wings of the movement " National Liberation ", that Maurice Chevance did for him to know. All happens again in a semi-clandestinité sort : the anesthetized atmosphere of the free zone encourages to little to hide its sympathies , by desire to meet at last others rebel as much as by provocation.

The year 1941 east a turn for Robert: after having been called for the Youth Work-sites in the spring, it chooses to the fall to be part of the theatrical turns of John Rock Aumont. Economical reasons, first: Azure Transportation is not very profitable. Maybe also does it perceive as the henneguier initiative attained its limits, including from the viewpoint of the organization and clandestine activity? In December 1941, it learns the arrest of his brother-in-law and the dismantling of his group; it interrupts immediately his turn. Henneguier quickly will be liberated, but entretemps, Robert will have pulled , all alone, the lesson of this first period. It seizes timeliness that offers him the network Alliance, conscious to integrate henceforth a clandestine structured organization , linked up directly to London and able to employ it to multiples missions on the whole territory.

Each of the two friends will follow henceforth separately the destiny that it chose themselves, squarely cause knowledge. The one of henneguier will bring it to succeed in 1944 certain ones of the most important sabotages of the parisian region, at the head of the frank groups of the military Delegate Rondenay. The one of Robert Lynen will drive it to the death, after to have it without any doubt revealed to himself.

Bruno Leroux

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #14 - 17. Jun 2004 at 19:16
Print Post  
This has been a great thread, apple.  Thanks for taking the time to share all of this.  :bigok:

Thanks for the early expose of the favorite movie, too!   Grin

<i>ben's favourite movie was emil and the detectives.

the original 1931 version.</i>

If that one was in English, I'm sure it would be one of my favorites, too!

I'm glad you mentioned his second favorite, too.  I hadn't known about 'Poil de carotte' before (well, at least I hadn't remembered it), but it was great to find out that at least there's a vhs version of it at Amazon that is English subtitled!  I'm now looking forward to seeing that one, myself. Smiley

I like Benjamin Britten more and more all the time, since you started sharing things about him.  Now I want to investigate the short life of Robert Lynen in greater detail, too.  I noticed that he played Remy in the 1934 version of 'Sans Famille', and I have the 2000 (TV) version with Jules Sitruk as Remi (that name is spelled differently at IMDb, so I suppose it's right each way).  I can't imagine him being any better or any cuter than Jules Sitruk, but I'm hoping to see him in that someday, too. Smiley

I just wanted to let you know that your efforts in sharing all of this is certainly appreciated!  Maybe we should move (or at least copy) this thread to a forum where it will be read by more people.   Tongue

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Print