Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic About my TV listings, if you use them please read (Read 3,040 times)
Cameron
Ex Member

About my TV listings, if you use them please read
25. Dec 2003 at 10:18
Print Post  
I'm in the process of totally revamping the way I produce my weekly movies listings.  Up until now it's been a manual process each week.  But I have all kinds of information in my database and I'm going to semi-automate the report generation.

Not to get into to much technical detail basically I'll 'flag' a movie in my database and assign it a date/time and then generate a list.

A side effect of this is that with no more effort I can include all kinds of data that might be of interest.  Literally anything that I track in my database.

So, the question:  What would you all like to see included?  Some of the things I track in my database include

Genre (drama, comedy, scifi etc.)
Movie synopsis, country and year
Character name and age
Actor date of birth

Bear in mind that a given weekly list could get quite lenghthy if I start adding gobs of stuff; particulary the synopsis.  But on the other hand, that may not matter.

Thoughts?...

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Re: About my TV listings, if you use them please r
Reply #1 - 25. Dec 2003 at 17:03
Print Post  
I agree that the inclusion of a synopsis might add too big a load to the listing, but on the other hand, who cares how long a post is?  I don't. Would there be a technical problem on the board with regard to length?

All the other items you suggested would be very welcome and useful.  I can't think of anything to add.

Again, thanks for all your efforts in keeping us up to date.  Smiley

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #2 - 25. Dec 2003 at 17:26
Print Post  
I like the idea of as much info as possible, without becoming cumbersome. As far as the age of the actors goes, I think it's probably more useful to know the age of the character being played than it is to know the actor's birthdate.  But, I certainly appreciate any information that might make my viewing choices easier to make.  Smiley

Thank, Cameron!

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

wwaabbiitt
Silver Member

Reply #3 - 25. Dec 2003 at 20:07
Print Post  
Sure appreciate your weekly listings, Cameron.  And since you asked:

I'd like to see it listed if the film is available on DVD, regardless of region.  Not suggesting YOU personally go look up every single movie, but if you know, perhaps list DVD, and if you don't know DVD?  Then the database would accumulate that information over time, perhaps with assistance here from those who themselves go to see if it's available on DVD.

I'm more likely to watch/tape a rare film if it's NOT available on DVD, as that may be the only chance to see it.

IP Logged

Cameron
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 26. Dec 2003 at 16:16
Print Post  
W,

I've never tracked that, and I certainly won't go back and do research on 7000+ movies! that being the size of my database to date.  Oddly, for the last year or so I've maintained an owned to catalogued ratio of about 1:10 and I've added about 2000 movies to my database in that time.

I might not mind adding such an aspect to my database but of course it wouldn't be very useful for a long time as many movies wouldn't be reflected until I hit upon that fact and enter it.  It might even be worse in that many movies would not show as available when they actually are.  I'm going to hold off on this and not make a decision right now.  My first instinct is to not add this info but I might find it personally useful and that'd change my mind, wouldn't it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print