Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Matthew Harbour (Read 4,434 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Matthew Harbour
26. Dec 2003 at 01:26
Print Post  
As I mentioned in another post, Matthew Harbour is a Canadian actor who I first came across in the 2002 Montreal film festival, starring in the film Two Summers. The interview that follows is taken from the press kit for Silent Night, a Canadian telefilm.

Although he is young and innocent, 12-year-old Matthew Harbour is not a newcomer to the film world. He has acted in many feature films and television movies, among them, Two Summers,  Equilibrium, After Amy, Forgotten Attic, Growing Pains Reunion Movie  and No Ordinary Baby.

Harbour has the ability to put himself into the skin of his characters. That is exactly what he did on the set of Silent Night when he played Fritz Vincken. “I tried to imagine what a boy would do if he saw all these Americans and Germans come raging into his house. I imagined how it would feel to have them in our house and at the table during the dinner. I tried to think of it not as a movie but as something really happening.”

Director Rodney Gibbons was immediately taken by Harbour during the young boy’s casting call. “He is a naturally talented young actor who exudes enthusiasm, energy and confidence. Moreover, he has a beautiful face and expressive eyes,” says Gibbons.

Harbour says that acting in Silent Night was easy. What was difficult was the German language. He had to learn to speak German – and to speak English with a German accent. " I found the pronunciation of the words and the German accent pretty difficult,” says Harbour. “I had to learn to pronounce from the front part of my mouth.  I sometimes got confused with the ends of some words, such as ‘ick’ and ‘ich’,” Harbour recounted. But Harbour worked really hard with his German dialogue coach Jurgen Buche, even off the set. “Jurgen put every German line of the movie for every character on his website and I constantly went on that site to learn my lines perfectly,” he says.

Harbour already speaks fluent French and hopes to learn other languages. He is in Grade 7 in a French language school and is learning Latin, which is on the curriculum. Harbour became interested in acting when he visited his brother on a movie set. “I was very attracted by all the free chocolates, chips and candy,” he says. A year later, at the age of nine, he had an agent and his first role in Time at the Top, a film for Showtime. Harbour has never had acting lessons. His life is very full with school and work. But if he wasn’t working in movies, he says, he would be skateboarding in the summer and snowboarding in the winter. He also enjoys break dancing, “anything that involves speed,” he says, and has a brown belt in karate.

Harbour hopes that millions of people will watch Silent Night and learn from it. “This story about Fritz and his mother giving shelter to enemy soldiers is very important,” he says. “The film shows that soldiers, beneath all their armour, weaponry and clothing are just normal people.”

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The top two pictures are from Silent Night,  the others are DVD caps from Equilibrium.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Matthew Harbour
Reply #1 - 26. Dec 2003 at 03:42
Print Post  
Very nice post, Zabladowki.  Smiley

Remarkable young man, too!

Thanks.  Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 26. Dec 2003 at 10:13
Print Post  
thanks Zab...

profile added

I've guesstimated his year of birth as 1989.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #3 - 29. Mar 2005 at 22:00
Print Post  
It was a good guesstimate cal, but I've found a more definitive biography with the correct info.

Matthew Harbour was born on March 19th, 1990 in Montreal, Quebec. "Thankfully" Matthew did not grow up within the city of Montreal but in a more rural area where he could (and still does) own many animals.
Matthew currently owns and cares for two dogs, a cat, a white ferret, a mallard duck, a cockatiel and a white cockatoo parrot.
Matthew lives in Otterburn Park, Quebec (approximately 35 minutes from downtown Montreal) with his pets, older brother James and his mother.
Matthew's father died when Matthew was nine months old and his mother never remarried. "I know what it is like to miss a parent. Missing a parent leaves you wishing for a part of you that is not there", admits Matthew.
Matthew's father was an only child as was his mother, so Matthew does not have any aunts, uncles or cousins.
Matthew has always been quite shy and accident-prone and acting has helped him gain self-confidence. Matthew says that "Acting has put me in touch with my feelings and it lets me express them without being self conscious about it".
Matthew is very solitary by nature and he has only one or two good friends, with whom his favorite activity is playing video games. Matthew and his friends are the self-proclaimed "kings of video games".
Matthew's other passions in life are karate (he is a brown belt in the sport), break-dancing, skate boarding, snow boarding, and basically anything that involves high speed.
Matthew's first exposure to acting came when he accompanied his older brother James during James' first professional job as an extra in a film. James was one of twelve children acting in a birthday party scene for the film. Each child in the scene received copious amounts of candy and chips, and there was clown on set who was entertaining them. In addition to all this, James was being paid. From that point on, Matthew could not wait to get into the business. So, Matthew and his brother joined a talent agency and started landing acting jobs the very next week.
Matthew started his acting career with voice work and commercials, and then a casting agent who believed in Matthew persuaded director Jimmy Kaufmann to give Matthew a chance for an upcoming film project. Without any previous on-screen film experience Matthew landed the lead role in Kaufmann's feature film "Time at The Top". Matthew then went on to appear as a lead or principle character in several feature films including: "Witness Files", "WWIII", with Vanessa Williams, "The Growing Pains Reunion Movie", with Joanna Kerns, Tracy Gold, Alan Thicke, and Kirk Cameron, "The Forgotten Attic", Directed by Michael Landon Jr., and "Librium", starring Taye Diggs and Christian Bale. Matthew also has television acting experience in various projects including: "Kids Discover the World".
Matthew admits that being an actor is not all fun and games and he maintains a very calm and mature attitude towards the business. "Being an actor entails having to face constant self doubt and rejection. You go to tons of auditions only to get the occasional role. You have to believe in yourself and never give up, which happens to be our family motto", says Matthew.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 29. Mar 2005 at 23:01
Print Post  
GosH! a bio that actually tells me something.  Smiley

Many online bios of kid actors seem to be made up out of thin air by who knows who. Probably someone who's never even met the actor.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print