Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) greatest musicals (Read 5,985 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

greatest musicals
29. Dec 2003 at 02:39
Print Post  
last night channel 4 screened -100 greatest musicals.

apparently there was a nationwide vote.

but it can't have been well publicised because i wasn't aware of a vote.

julie dawn cole - the wonka star - was on duty again : discussing wonka; also acting as general pundit commenting on several musicals.

the results were quirky.

"grease" was voted best musical of all time.

HUH?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: greatest musicals
Reply #1 - 29. Dec 2003 at 08:40
Print Post  
how today's london evening standard reported the earth-shattering turn of events.
-------------
Grease is the word (and top musical)

Feelgood rock'n'roll love story Grease has been named the nation's favourite musical.

The 1978 movie, starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, topped a Channel 4 poll to find the 100 Greatest Musicals.

It pipped Christmas classics such as The Sound Of Music and The Wizard Of Oz to the title as the station counted down the favourites in a TV special.

Grease was the movie of the summer in the year of its release and its songs became ingrained in the minds of music fans by spawning a string of hit singles.

Two songs, Summer Nights and You're The One That I Want, went to number one and spent a combined total of 16 weeks at the top of the charts.

Other hits included Hopelessly Devoted To You, Greased Lightnin' and the title track, sung by Frankie Valli.

The film was based on the hugely successful Broadway musical set in Rydell High School in the 1950s with Sandy (Newton-John) having to ditch her straitlaced image to win her man Danny (Travolta).

Along the way the T-Birds and Pink Ladies are involved in spectacular scenes of dancing, car races and the climactic performance of You're The One That I Want, with Travolta mesmerised by Newton-John's transformation into a wild chick.

Grease is one of only three films from the past quarter century that makes it into the top ten.

Jonathon Holmes, senior producer of the 100 Greatest Musicals, said: "I think everyone will be surprised at the musicals that the public have chosen as their top ten of all time and in particular that Grease, a modern-day classic, got the number one spot and not an old favourite like Singin' In The Rain. But then again who doesn't know all the words to hits like You're The One That I Want and Summer Lovin'?"

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #2 - 30. Dec 2003 at 23:39
Print Post  
No way!   Shocked

'Grease' a better musical than 'Oliver'?    ???

Did I miss something?  Was Mark Lester in 'Grease', or 'Oliver'?

I noticed that 'Bugsy Malone' was number 19 on the list, too.  Can you imagine that?  That cute little movie that only a real movie buff would even remember?  Smiley

From that site:

<i> BUGSY MALONE FILM REVIEW

Kiddy gangsters fire splat guns instead of real bullets in Alan Parker's all-singing story of Bugsy Malone's fight for power against Fat Sam and Dandy Dan. Stars a young Jodie Foster

Alan Parker's first feature is a curious novelty, a knowing gangster spoof that casts children in adult roles and gives them guns that shoot rounds of ice cream instead of bullets.

That it works so well is due to a combination of Parker's invention as writer-director, Paul Williams's memorable song-and-dance numbers ('My Name is Tallulah', 'Fat Sam's Grand Slam', 'So You Want to Be a Boxer', etc) and the necessary precocious performances from its cast.

Verdict
Frivolous and sugar-coated this may be, but everyone involved is clearly having a ball, which makes for an entertaining confection.</i>

I can agree with that. Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #3 - 31. Dec 2003 at 18:54
Print Post  
"grease" was voted best musical of all time.

A sign of the times, I guess.  Tongue  In light of that choice I'm surprised 'Oliver!' made it to #9!

I loved 'Bugsy Malone' also.  I think Jodie Foster was the only 'pro' in that cast at the time.

My own choices for the greatest musicals would, of course, date me and 'typecast' me.  I would pick 'My Fair Lady' as the greatest in terms of sheer quality, even though I've gotten tired of it over the years.  Other than that, I don't really think of musicals in terms of greatness - just those I enjoy and those I don't.  I still enjoy the corny old 'music Man' which was cleverly conceived in its playing with music and themes.  It took me years to notice that the tunes '76 Trombones' and 'Goodnite My Someone' were just different tempos of the same melody!

I would place the movie 'Umbrellas of Cherbourg' among my top ten.  A very straight love story, but very haunting and moving.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 01. Jan 2004 at 04:28
Print Post  
my vote for favourite would go to one from the heart!

not many people have seen it.

i thought it was a wonderful musical :

but i'd have to give some serious thought before i committed myself to a list of favourites.

off the top of my head - i'd have to include a few - maybe most! -  of the astaire musicals.

[i wish i could dance with such aplomb!]

oklahoma - cuz i want to drive a surrey with the fringe on top.

oliver - cuz i wanted to be befriended by jack wild.

[grown-up mark lester was on the channel 4 prog BTW]

at least one elvis movie - cuz he's my favourite singer.

terrible movies, on the whole - but there must be at least one worthy of the list.

i'll have to deliberate about the rest.
--------
BTW there's a bugsy malone production coming up on broadway!

catford broadway - south london.

and there was a programme yesterday afternoon on brit television - similar to the wonka programme -  detailing the life and times of the original bugsy stars.

i would have come out with an incisive opening question to jodie :

"would you have felt more comfortable if it had been a lesbian production of bugsy?!"

that burning question was never put - but jodie did say she was bored by all the girls having crushes on - making puppy-dog eyes at -  the boys.

especially on scott baio (bugsy) who played and was in real life, then and subsequently, a louche lothario.

he regarded himself as king of the castle and would stride around the set looking for fresh girls to engage in off-screen kissing.

florrie dugger (blousey) didn't like his arrogance - "he was a wiseass" - and wouldn't give him a proper hug.

but she said he's more mellow and personable today.

in the last scene, alan said he'd never seen such mayhem and destruction..

from a brown set to a white set in just a few minutes.

scott went on to star in `happy days` and `charlie's in charge`.

but now has a swedish fiance who "wont take my crap".

john cassisi (fat sam) is now a rotund construction boss with his own company, a wife and three kids.

sheridan russell (knuckles) is a painter and decorater - and into classic cars.

one of the british actors is now a stand-up comedian.

the movie took 3 months to make.

they were sad when it stopped because they'd bonded.

alan parker was a disciplinarian.

he had to be with 200 kids to control.

they tried shooting guns with custard bullets but too dangerous.

generally - viewers would see the guns fired but the result came from alan or a props man hurling a plateful of pie towards the victim.

the boys were embarrassed by jodie's in-your-face seductive numbers and would get their revenge by breathily intoning "my name is talleluh" whenever jodie hove into view.

there was some tension between the american streetwise kids and the more theatrically inclined british contingent.

alan parker had 4 kids so he thought he could do the movie.

his eldest son came up with the initial idea.

it took a year to cast.

he screen tested 10,000 kids.

jodie foster didn't really need direction.

even at 12 - she instinctively knew how to act.

johnny cassisi (fat sam) was cast when alan went into a school and asked the pupils - who's the naughtiest boy in this class?

john said in his brooklyn neighbourhood there wasn't a lot of time to be a boy; they had to grow into men quickly.

the cars were handmade and cost a fortune.

the kids loved them - but usually there were 3 or 4 adults pushing them in order to build up reasonable speed.

martin lev (dandy dan) contracted ME and committed suicide when he was 32.

florrie dugger (blousey brown) joined the air force medical corps.

jodie says the actors (at the reunion) were the same as adults as they'd been as kids : the same neuroses, foibles and character traits.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #5 - 01. Jan 2004 at 05:00
Print Post  
From that list of 100 my favourites in order are:

Cabaret (movie)
Rocky Horror (stage play)
Blues Brothers (movie)
Cats (stage play)
King and I (movie)
Sweet Charity (movie)
West Side Story (movie)
Saturday Night Fever (movie)
Greece.. oops I mean Grease (movie)
Singing in the Rain (movie)
Yankee Doodle Dandy (movie)
Meet Me in St Louis (movie)
Moulin Rouge (movie)
Hello Dolly (movie)

..and one of my favourite wasn't even on the list:
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

Although I liked the look of movies like Oliver, Bugsy Malone, Chitty Chitty, etc, I didn't like the songs.

..and I loathed Willy Wonka.

Hopefully Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will make up for the travesty.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #6 - 01. Jan 2004 at 12:17
Print Post  
<i>Although I liked the look of movies like Oliver, Bugsy Malone, Chitty Chitty, etc, I didn't like the songs.</i>

Well now!  Shocked

I loved some of the songs in Oliver.  I still sing those in the shower, and I must say they sound as good today as they did then.  Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 04. Jan 2004 at 04:17
Print Post  
young arthur - if you like my fair lady :

there's a new biography of audrey hepburn which has garnered positive reviews in the uk press.

[but where the heck's uk publisher sidgwick and jackson's web site?]

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #8 - 04. Jan 2004 at 05:45
Print Post  
My favorite at the moment is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Have seen the London West End version a couple of times now and every time it is a joy to watch.

Seeing Chitty flying around is really spectacular, the acting, singing and dancing is great. Favorite character for me is Jeremy Potts, wonderfully played by a.o. Daniel Bartlett. Also very much enjoyed the 'children of Vulgaria'.

If you're in London, don't miss this one! Link: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

'soles' :cwm39:

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 10. Jan 2004 at 07:32
Print Post  
hi chitty chitty bang bang fan,

here's an interview with the latest addtion to the cast
--------

Jason Donovan

by James Ellis, January 12th, 2004

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: In the late 1980s, Jason Donovan could have been dusted with gold: Neighbours TV star, perennial chart-topper and boyfriend of Kylie. But fame had a high price; he had drug problems and sued The Face for claiming he was gay. In the late 1990s he bounced back with The Rocky Horror Show. He is now appearing as Caractacus Potts in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: How's things?

Very happy. It's a good place in my life. Coming back to play the Palladium is amazing. My reputation is still very much intact here.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: Do you think it's not elsewhere?

I'm just having a laugh. It's not an easy show to do - I've probably taken on a little more than I thought I'd taken on but I'm going to be OK.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: Any nerves about going back on stage?

I figure that whatever happens, no one is going to die. There's a certain apprehension about being right back in the West End - it doesn't get more West End than being at the Palladium, but no one is going to get seriously hurt. I'm just going to enjoy it.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: You're replacing Gary Wilmot. I'm sure you'll add a few ladies to the queues.

Gary's been gone for a while so essentially I'm replacing his understudy - but mate, you know I can't really answer that question.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: Was doing Joseph all those years ago a help or hindrance?

A help. The show was amazing - they had to block off the streets outside the Palladium, there were so many people wanting autographs. For a year there wasn't an unsold seat in the house. I'll tell you what though, by the end, I was sick to death of it. I needed some real time out.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: Can you justify the Beatlemania scenes around Neighbours?

Not really. The core of the craziness was the whole thing. A TV show with 22million viewers mixed with pop culture. It was a very potent cultural moment, but to try and explain exactly what the mix was? I'd be a very rich man if I could do that.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: What did you think of Dominic Mohan's Sun campaign two years ago to get you re-signed to a label?

I take my hat off to The Sun, Dominic and his team. It was a very nice gesture but it's one of those things you just can't take too seriously. No disrespect, but if my career depended on a newspaper campaign, I may as well be doing something else.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: A change for a red top to be positive though.

Yes, but I think that's because I've always been very honest about what's happening in my life. If I'm wandering in the wilderness, I'll tell people, as I will if I'm doing well.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: Have you been too honest with the cocaine and grass revelations?

Perhaps I have, but life is a pretty rich tapestry. You shouldn't be condemned for being honest. I don't know how much it hurt my career but the opportunities I've had are not things I dwell upon. The one thing that I have never ever done is actually advocate the use of drugs.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: When you sued The Face, you returned the money to stop it folding. Why?

It was never about money. It was about an issue and the right to be interpreted in the right way. I think I made my point clearly.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: You sold more records than Jimi Hendrix in the UK. Why do people only remember Especially For You?

That record sold more than a million copies which is pretty much up there with the best selling singles in the world. It was with Kylie - an artist who is now incredibly successful, so it's an easy one for people to pin on me remembrance-wise.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: Would you like to go back in the studio?

I do record a lot of music it just doesn't get commercially released. I can't focus all my energies on just getting a recording contract; there are things like Chitty and I've just finished a very successful TV series in Melbourne. If I were just to sit around and wait for the perfect opportunity for my music career I probably wouldn't have worked for the last ten years. In music, you're either incredibly fortunate or driven. My career has taken me to musical theatre and back to acting - had I had the opportunity to concentrate on music and maybe have more creative control earlier, it may have been more fruitful for me now.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: You seem very happy. What's the secret?

At the age of 22, my dreams came true. The bottom line is I was smart enough to invest a bit of money and be able to say to you, at 35, that I'm not panicking that I haven't achieved enough or that I'm not comfortable. I have beautiful houses both here and in Australia, I can travel well, I have two wonderful kids, what more could I ask for? Achieving a certain level of fame is great, but it also has big trappings with it. I've been through all that. Sure, I'd love to work on an A-list film in Hollywood and if it came about then great, but it's not something that I'm going to chase.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: Could you not get Guy Pearce to put in a word for you?

Er, well no. I see Guy quite a bit and he's a great person but it's not my style to beg for favours.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: You, Kylie, Guy, what was it about that talent pool?

Australians have a raw ability to be different and we're not this little country at the end of the earth any more. We're a serious player in the world. Does that explain why we all did well? No. I think we were young and very enthusiastic. Also, in the UK, people crawl over each other to get where they want. In Australia there's a lot more loyalty.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: If you were doing it today, would you stay at home and not come over here?
I don't think you can. What you still need is something under your belt from home that does well. Mel Gibson had Mad Max, Guy had Priscilla, Kylie and myself had Neighbours. You need something to get you in there. I'd love to say to you that I love my job but I'm very rich as a family man -I'm quite happy growing vegetables in the back garden at home.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: What veggies do you have in the patch?

It's a turn of phrase - you know what I mean. It's just that I am not obsessed with the celebrity behind it all. Being a father changes you totally. You become a less selfish person who is much more dedicated.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: Would you encourage your children to go into entertainment?

This business has made me happy and wealthy - I couldn't turn around and say: 'Don't do it.' It's their decision. If they want to, fine, but I won't be dropping them off at auditions. They can find their own way there. I can only tell them my experiences and then they can work it out for themselves.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: Given the career ups and downs, ever thought about writing a book of advice?

I have thought about it. I was going to call it Pop Stars and Prop Stars but I finally decided people would figure it out for themselves.

60 SECONDS EXTRA!: What would Pete Waterman say if a young Jason auditioned for Pop Idol?

I've no idea. I wouldn't go on Pop Idol. I was asked to do Reborn In The USA and turned it down flat. I don't need to do that stuff - I'm not the sort of person who is still in search of celebrity.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #10 - 11. Jan 2004 at 16:48
Print Post  
Thanks aaaa. Won't be able to see him perform though. Do will be able to see Oliver Twost though, that will start on 20 February.

'soles'

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print