Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic *There Was No War in '72 (1996) (Read 3,875 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

*There Was No War in '72 (1996)
24. Jan 2004 at 12:49
Print Post  
[over the next few weeks, i'm going to post movies in this section about which i have very little information. some of these may turn out not to be worth seeking out, but others might turn out to be overlooked little gems. please feel free to contribute any information you might have on these by responding in their respective threads. i will flag titles from this series with an asterisk (*) in front of the title.]

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

There Was No War in '72 (1996) is a Hebrew movie, from Israel. The original Hebrew title is B'Shivim Ushtayim Lo Hayta Milhama.

It is available on video for sale at Amazon.com... for only $79.95 !!!

(In case anyone wants the link, here it is: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links))

Plot summary from IMDb.com:
Somewhat autobiographical, the film opens right after the 6 day war, when Israelis euphoric with victory and the kids dress up as the captured Western Wall in Jerusalem. Now it is 1972. The film centers on a young boy, who is failing in school, and grounded from going on Passover trips with his classmates. Instead he must visit private academies (including military school) with his parents, who want him to do better in school. Foreshadowing to the coming war in 1973 and the defeat of euphoria.

Review from Amazon.com:
Without giving away the story, the synopsis is as follows: Yoni was born in 1958; and a few years later he was joined by his two younger brothers, making a family of 5. His middle class family grew, as did the State of Israel. They celebrated the holidays, and in 1967, they were caught up in the euphoria of the State's 6-day war victories. So much so that in Purim 1968, Yoni and his brothers dressed up as the recently captured Wailing Wall and a fleeing Palestinian. It is at this Purim party that the movie opens and jumps ahead 4 years to Pesach 1972, after Yoni is expelled from school for failing all his courses. The film follows Yoni and his family over the next 2 weeks as Yoni seeks refuge from his family, his American born mother, and in particular, his bullying (or is he?) father, while he tries to overturn his father's decision to banish Yoni to an all-male, 'military-focused' boarding school in Rishon. Music by Aviv Geffen.

There are several actors listed on IMDb, but I have no idea which ones play Yoni. (I'm assuming there are more than one actors, because he grows from ages 9 to 14, based on the review.)

This sounds like a pretty good movie to me. I wish it were available for cheaper than what it's going for on Amazon.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: *There Was No War in '72 (1996)
Reply #1 - 25. Jan 2004 at 17:52
Print Post  
<i>I wish it were available for cheaper than what it's going for on Amazon.</i>

Me, too.  Sad

Thanks for mentioning it, and I hope we get a chance to see it. Maybe it will become available through a video store in Miami or something. I've found Hebrew films from stores there before. Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 26. Jan 2004 at 00:05
Print Post  
Thanks for starting this new feature joseph.

I had this movie on my wish list, but didn't know it was released on VHS. I'll have to start looking for it....

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 04. Feb 2004 at 06:01
Print Post  
I finally found a site that IDs the actor who plays Yoni:

Adam Abulafia...  first name on the IMBd credits.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print