Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Homerun (2003) (Read 7,632 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Homerun (2003)
09. Feb 2004 at 22:09
Print Post  

I figure the best way for me to show cal how much I notice and appreciate all of the catching up he's doing with database profiles is to put him further behind  Grin

Homerun is the latest feature from Signaporean director Jack Neo, who was responsible for I Not Stupid. It has played in film festivals in Tokyo and Moscow and I hope it gains wider exposure this year.

The synopsis of the film is lifted from the official site. Read it and see if it sounds familiar  Wink

Ah Kun, Xiao Hei and their gang are close soccer buddies from the same kampung. In an effort to have a chance to represent their kampung in a "National Youth Soccer Match", they seek alliance with a rich kid called Beng Soon and his soccer team. This will enable Ah Kun's team to productively share training resources with Beng Soon's team. However, both teams soon have irreconcilable differences in both strategies and tactics and are forced to go their separate ways.

One day, Ah Kun visits a grocery store to pick up grocery for the family meal, only to lose his sister's shoes-a disaster since his parents are eking out a meagre existence and can't afford to replace them. The siblings realize that revealing the loss would upset their financially strapped parents, so they decided to keep the loss a secret and leaving Ah Kun the burden of solving the problem.

Ah Kun now has two tricky problems on hand:
1) getting a pair of shoes for himself;
2) finding back his sister's shoes.

Alas, no matter how hard Ah Kun tries, he still couldn't find his sister's shoes. The two siblings have to share Ah Kun's old shoes since they attend school in separate shifts and could exchange when the sister returns from her morning shift. But this results in Ah Kun being late for school every morning.

The fact that Beng Soon's team has better training resources does not dampen Ah Kun's and Xiao Hei's morale. Both of them are determined to put in their very best and maximize their meagre resources in their own ways.

Meanwhile, an anxious Ah Kun searches for ways to get his little sister a new pair of shoes. He then chanced upon a national running race in which the third prize includes a free pair of shoes. He decides to join the race in order to win the pair of shoes for his sister.

This race draws an unprecedented crowd of strong runners, including Beng Soon and his gang. As Ah Kun gets ready for the most crucial race of his life, he has no idea that his sister is too facing the greatest trial of her life…

In essence, Homerun serves as a heart-warming meditation about familial and sibling love. It is a story of how love has the power to illuminate any stages of one's life and to warm any corner of the world.

The story also presents a fact…that is neither a victory nor a defeat represents the end result…but rather the beginning of another race…therefore…Run…Children…never stop until you hit a homerun!

By now you've guessed (I hope) that you are reading an Asian remake of Children of Heaven. Shawn Lee, who also appeared in I'm Not Stupid, plays the part of Ah Kun.

The website for the film is at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
                                I think this last shot is of the director and his star and is not from the film.
« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 20:01 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Homerun (2003)
Reply #1 - 16. Feb 2004 at 05:57
Print Post  
Children of Heaven is a wonderful film and probably not seen by as many people as it deserves.

I'll be keen to see what Homerun is like, and how it compares. IMBd comments don't seem to be all that favourable citing unnecessary political jabs at Malaysia, where the movie has been banned. I guess Malaysia doesn't concur with the ideal of 'free speech'.

Thanks for the alert on this movie Zab, it's the first I'd heard about it.

Profile added:
..and for those interested in comparing the two movies:

« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 20:01 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 16. Feb 2004 at 06:25
Print Post  
I've got some caps from I'm not Stupid, which I've unfortunately not had the pleasure of seeing as yet. The caps do not identify the actors so if anyone can help here are two of the actors from that movie...  I assume one of them is Shawn Lee from Homerun but I'm not  quite sure which one:

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #3 - 16. Feb 2004 at 21:52
Print Post  
My guess is that Shawn is in the bottom picture, but this question will likely have to be answered by socksoles. I believe he's the only one among us to have seen I Not Stupid.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #4 - 17. Feb 2004 at 03:08
Print Post  
Well.... I should have seen it by now.... but I still haven't...  Undecided

It's there, waiting to be seen, but there are still too many others movies waiting to be seen as well. Did you, by the way, know that after the theatre version a tv-series was made with 18 episodes? This series was released on VCD and is also still waiting to be seen.....  Shocked

Let me put it on top of the list and get back to you soon!  Smiley

'soles'

PS Zabladowski: I miss your emails...

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #5 - 18. Feb 2004 at 20:50
Print Post  
Uhhh 'soles,

check your box   Embarrassed

Smiley

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #6 - 09. Apr 2004 at 13:32
Print Post  
No.... no review yet for I not Stupid.....  Undecided

But good news anyway: DVD R3 of Homerun has just been released and can be ordered through (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) for quite a fair price.

English subtitles included.

'soles' :cwm39:

IP Logged

zork
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 11. Apr 2004 at 07:43
Print Post  
I found another official site for "Homerun":

And another poster from the Chinese website:

Smiley

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #8 - 11. Apr 2004 at 09:56
Print Post  
Thanks ...

That post has a clearer shot of his face...  both are worth keeping.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print