Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Paperboys (documentary) (Read 6,965 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Paperboys (documentary)
19. Feb 2004 at 18:41
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Looks interesting. Will post more info if I find any.

Synopsis:

People often ask "are there still paperboys?" For filmmaker Mike Mills, this was the underlying theme of the film: how traditions stay alive and how they mutate. Were these kids aware that they were part of a long tradition, and how they were changing that tradition? In the film, the almost Norman Rockwell image of the paperboy blends in with the contemporary Eminem influenced teenage boy. This hybrid of contemporary television/rap oriented teen and American icon of "good old days" is full of contradictions that happily live together. The film attempts to show the bigger cultural picture through the smaller, personal culture of each boy: where they live, what music they listen to, how they dress, what they value, what their rooms and houses look like, how they organize the world, what they think the past meant, and what they think the future will bring. Also included on the DVD is the reknowned short film Deformer, chronicling the life and artwork of top-ranking skateboarder Ed Templeton.

from Palm Pictures ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links))

Available on Amazon :

« Last Edit: 04. Apr 2004 at 02:26 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Paperboys (documentary)
Reply #1 - 19. Feb 2004 at 21:15
Print Post  
Thanks for mentioning this one, josephk.  I'm very interested in seeing one about paperboys, since I was one of the best!   Grin

Seriously, a glimpse into the real lives of real boys sounds very refreshing.   Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #2 - 20. Feb 2004 at 14:06
Print Post  
That does look interesting, Joseph - and that piece on the skateboarder looks intriguing too.  Very decent price listed at Amazon. 

We have a long tradition of paperboys where I live that survives to this day.  Come to think of it, we have never had paperboys here who deliver from bikes, but you hardly see anything else in movies (or, I guess, in the more developed parts of the world  Smiley)  Unlike Sir Jacob, I never advanced farther than helper to another kid - who I still think skinned me alive in sharing the profits Grin  I'll never forget the Scotsman at one house who berated me for 20 minutes when his paper flew apart when it reached his doorstep.  Its a good thing I couldn't make out half of what he was saying!

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

if you see it
Reply #3 - 20. Feb 2004 at 15:09
Print Post  
If you see it, let us know what you think of it.
This is at one of the video rental places here, and I have wondered whether to get it... or whether it is interviews with 20-somethings remembering their past exploits.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - 20. Feb 2004 at 15:49
Print Post  
I think it's worth a rental. I haven't seen it and kind find much information on it, but I would rent it if it was available somewhere around here. (I'll actually look for it.)

I have a feeling the teenagers in the movie might be older than 15, though. Hard to tell.

Also of interest (perhaps) is a feature film by the same director, currently in post-production, called Thumbsucker. The director seems to like stories about teenage boys. (He also uses a picture of himself as a boy on his profile at the directorsbureau.com website...... hmmm.)

IMDB: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Lou Taylor Pucci (18 at the time of fimling) plays a teenaged compulsive thumbsucker trying to find a cure for his problem. There are some good actors in the movie (Tilda Swinton and Vince Vaughn), as well as one big name (Keanu Reeves) who hopefully has a very minor role.

There's a picture of Lou at this page (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and I must say he looks very cute (even for an 18-year-old - for those of you who stop paying attention once they reach 15). Smiley

I'm trying to find a picture of Chase Offerle, who plays his younger brother in the movie.

Here's an interesting article: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 20. Feb 2004 at 15:53
Print Post  
Check out this website too: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Lots of pics of Lou there.

I also found this on the news page from that site, about Chase, who is apparently 12-years-old:

"...they picked a "Joel" . He's a 12 year old Beaverton Actor named Chase Offerle ( lou and chase were reportedly seen playing Laser tag in and around Beaverton."

Must find a pic...

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #6 - 20. Feb 2004 at 22:05
Print Post  
I think Lou is very cute too - brown hair, blue eyes.  Smiley  In my case, it seems as I get older the age threshold for attractive males goes up. 

Hey, I see that Vincent D'Onofrio is in the cast of 'Thumbsucker.'  I thought he did a great turn as Orsen Welles in 'Ed Wood' and did an effective job in 'The Cell', although he wasn't nearly as cute as his younger self (Jake Thomas).  I wonder if he ever got all that blood makeup off?

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #7 - 26. Feb 2004 at 17:19
Print Post  
<i>If you see it, let us know what you think of it.</i>

hosenhaus, I got my copy of Paperboys, and I enjoyed it.  The boys in it are of all ages between 11 and 17.  It was an interesting glimpse into their lives at home and as paperboys, and into their dreams and aspirations.

About this:  <i>Also included on the DVD is the reknowned short film Deformer, chronicling the life and artwork of top-ranking skateboarder Ed Templeton.</i>

I thought that little "reknowned short film" was a lot of self-absorbed trash.  But, maybe that's just me.  He might not think of his art or his skateboarding as anything less than spectacular, and his penchant sharing his daily thoughts with us through recorded "notes to self", and for laying around with his young wife taking nude Polaroids of each other, might be very fulfilling for someone so inclined to think so highly of themself.

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #8 - 10. Mar 2004 at 20:29
Print Post  
Tyler

Brandon

Nick

Andrew

Donnie

Greg

ages, according to the closing credits...

Tyler 12, Brandon 11, Nick 13, Andrew 13, Donnie 11, Greg 14.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #9 - 11. Mar 2004 at 05:14
Print Post  
Thanks for the pics hosenhaus...  it's nice to be able to put some faces to this movie.

I hope this movie turns up Downunder.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print