Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Broken Wings (2002) (Read 5,820 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Broken Wings (2002)
12. Mar 2004 at 19:53
Print Post  

A Hebrew film now playing in theatres. Distributed in North America by Sony Pictures Classic.

Synopsis (from (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) : The winner of nine prizes at the Israeli Academy Awards and a hit in its home country, the award-winning BROKEN WINGS is the extraordinarily moving story of the life and loves of the Ullman family, an ordinary Israeli family coping with everyday life. Nine months after her husband died, Dafna Ullman (renowned stage actress Orli Zilberschatz-Banai) has just gone back to work as a night shift hospital midwife. 16-year old Yair (Nitai Gvirtz), has dropped out of school, abandoned a potential basketball career and now hides inside a mouse costume, distributing flyers on the subway. 11 year-old Ido (Daniel Magon), deals with his building aggression by trying to break the world free jump record (and practices into an empty swimming pool), while six year-old Bahr (Eliana Magon) begins a lonely first day of school. So, it's left to 17 year-old Maya, (lovely newcomer Maya Maron), a gifted budding singer/song writer, to act as a surrogate mother to her youngest siblings. Everyone tries to navigate their daily lives as best as they can - jobs, romantic involvements, a car that won't start ... - but when Maya forgets to pick up little Bahr from school, it's an incident which causes a major upheaval in their lives … Told with sincerity, drama, and self-deprecating humor, Nir Bergman's feature debut has a remarkable freshness and a keen sense of observation of the contemporary family. Shot entirely on location in Haifa and Tel Aviv, BROKEN WINGS reveals an Israel very different from the televised news images and violent world politics, and also portrays a truly universal experience. -- © Sony Pictures Classics

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Watch the trailer here: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IMDb profile: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Check out the official website: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

NOTE: I didn't create a profile for this one on the database yet. The boy is only one of four children. Including the mother, that makes five central characters, each with its own storyline, some of which may be more important than the one involving the boy.

Personally, I think the movie looks really good and is definitely worth seeking out. But because I'm not sure how much screentime the boy gets, I didn't know if it was worth including in the database.

Opinions welcome.
« Last Edit: 04. Jul 2008 at 17:09 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Broken Wings
Reply #1 - 12. Mar 2004 at 20:53
Print Post  
Thanks for the alert  Joseph...

I'm certainly keen to see it. I've only seen a handful of films made in Israel.

I couldn't get the trailer to play...  has anyone else had any success in doing so?

------------------------------------

Solved the problem:

The follow site allows people to download the trailer:

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 12. Mar 2004 at 21:58
Print Post  
I saw Broken Wings last fall.
My notes state I gave it 3 stars (good) and that Daniel is the only boy character.
My recollection is that Daniel's character was memorable to me, but his screen time is not extensive.
I'd probably rate it 7.5 or 8 as a movie, but only 5 or 6 as a boy movie and then only because Daniel's character has an important plot arc in the last segment of the film.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 13. Mar 2004 at 05:54
Print Post  
These caps come from the trailer:

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #4 - 13. Mar 2004 at 13:39
Print Post  
Thanks for the alert, josephk, and thanks for the additional caps from the trailer too, cal.  :bigok:

I'm impressed with those of you who are smart enough to make vidcaps from trailers and things like that.  I hang out mostly with people who wouldn't know a vidcap from a stocking cap, and those of us who are on the other end of the intelligence spectrum are really impressed with smart people like we have at BA.   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 22. May 2004 at 18:34
Print Post  
I just got back from the theatre, where I saw Broken Wings. I liked it a lot, even if the boy was not the central character.  I just posted a short review on the profile, so rather than try to repeat myself in slightly different words, I'll just cut and paste it here:

Pretty good movie with some compelling characters and some very moving scenes. The youngest son (the only important boy character in the film) doesn't have as much screentime as I expected, but it didn't bother me because all the other characters were also interesting. Some really good performances, especially by the two female leads (mother and daughter).

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #6 - 22. May 2004 at 20:48
Print Post  
Thanks, josephk.  It sounds like a good one to watch, but since you've seen it and the boy doesn't have as much screentime as you'd hoped he would, at least I know to wait for it to come on cable, and won't buy it.  Smiley

Well, that means I'll have the money for one where a boy is in every scene.   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #7 - 22. May 2004 at 21:02
Print Post  
Well, when I say not much screentime... it's relative. He still has a major role. It's just that the movie follows the interwoven stories of all the members in his family, focussing mostly on his mother and sister, and to a lesser extent on him and his older brother.

*possible mild spoilers below*

The other thing is that he is in the hospital for the last half-hour (at least) of the film, so although he is in many of those last scenes, he's just lying in bed with a bunch of tubes sticking out of him.

*end spoilers*

I can't say really if it's worth buying for you or not. I thought the story was very moving and the characters had a lot of depth. But if you're calculating how much screentime the boy has, then I don't know.

I'd say it's at least worth a rental or the price of admission to see it in theatres. The chances that it will play on cable are pretty low, I think.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print