Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Malabar Princess (2004) (Read 9,929 times)
cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Malabar Princess (2004)
14. Mar 2004 at 07:30
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

official site:

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Re: Malabar Princess (2004)
Reply #1 - 16. Mar 2004 at 02:31
Print Post  
Thanks for mentioning this one Cal.  Smiley Your posting inspired me to find out more about the movie and the young actor on the picture. This looks like an interesting movie about 8-yo Tom (Jules Angelo Bigarnet) who wants to look for his mum who disappeared five years ago in the mountains. As far as I can make up from the storyline (it's in French and I'm not that good in translating) by chance he finds the wreck of an airplane that crashed 50 years ago, the Malabar Princess. It sounds like a great adventure.

Malabar Princess is Jules' second movie (just released in French theatres). His first movie has recently been released on DVD R2 and is called 'Le Bison (et sa voisine Dorine)'. This movie can be ordered through (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) The next review has been taken from IMdB:

"This film is no work of art ; nevertheless I would recommend it if only for the performance of Isabelle Nanty. She is excellent in the role of a Paris concierge, four children to look after and a fifth in gestation with a loutish and uncaring husband who runs off with the girlfried of one of the lodgers in her building. This same lodger called Le Bison has rather strange hours and both he and Dorine ( the concierge ) get on each other's nerves because each makes noise at the "wrong" time for the other ! The fact that their respective mates have run off together nevertheless bring the two together and with Dorine's children getting very attached to Le Bison, there are the makings of an "idylle" between the two of them which the return of the two offending mates fails to break ( luckily for the spectator ). The film was made in the rather snobbish and stuck-up 16th arrondissement of Paris with a short foray out to the Northern Coast of France ( Criel sur Mer and Le Tréport ). The children play an important rôle in the film and Isabelle Nanty underlines this in her commentary about the film on the DVD. In fact the "making of" the film is just as much fun to watch as the film itself. So the film is a totally unpretentious slice of modern day life in Paris. I can conceive it not necessarily appealing to non-French speakers but as I live in Paris myself, it is easy for me to identify with the characters and situations. That said, I think Isabelle Nanty is one of today's splendid French actresses and I sincerely hope in the future that she will be better known internationally ."

Doesn't sound bad to me either.....

'soles' :cwm39:

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 16. Mar 2004 at 07:09
Print Post  
Thanks soles...

A couple more pics from the official site:

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #3 - 16. Mar 2004 at 11:39
Print Post  
*sigh*

French boys have such "soulful" eyes.   Roll Eyes

I suppose this is another one that I'll have to see, even if I just get to watch the action and not understand what they're saying... but I do hope that it has English subtitles when it comes out on DVD!   Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #4 - 18. Mar 2004 at 20:14
Print Post  
This looks like another must see. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, cal.  Smiley

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #5 - 14. Sep 2004 at 16:56
Print Post  
Malabar Princess has just been released on DVD R2 and can be ordered through (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Unfortunately no information on English subtitles.  Sad

'soles' :cwm39:

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #6 - 14. Sep 2004 at 19:17
Print Post  
It looks like the release does have English subtitles after all.  Smiley

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #7 - 13. Nov 2004 at 22:03
Print Post  
I got to see this movie on TV today. I loved it. I'll be watching it several more times.

I enjoyed everything about it. Young Jules Bigarnet plays nine year old Tom, the main character. He is utterly charming and carries off his role with aplomb.

Jacques Villeret is quite wonderful as the boy's grandfather. The locations are stunningly beautiful and the music on the soundtrack is excellent.

The story is a coming of age tale with 'death' and 'obsession' as the central themes. Although seemingly dark, the film is actually quite light hearted and often very funny. Young Tom gets up to all sorts of mischief in his search for the truth.

At times it is almost a Dennis the Menace on the Mountain type of movie but it stops short of going too far.

All in all it's a heartwarming film that is a visual delight. A movie which deserved far more attention than it got.

Highly recommended.   9/10

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #8 - 14. Nov 2004 at 00:49
Print Post  
Wow, thanks for your review, Cal. You sure make it sound like a good movie. I'll keep an eye out for it.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #9 - 14. Nov 2004 at 10:04
Print Post  
I'm still hoping to run into this movie somewhere, but I don't think it has played in North America at all.  Sad

IP Logged

Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #10 - 15. Aug 2008 at 15:48
Print Post  
The movie appears on a German TV channel tomorrow morning - I will tape it and watch it asap Smiley

IP Logged

nightwatcher
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #11 - 12. Mar 2017 at 01:56
Print Post  
Just watched this one and really enjoyed it. Jules-Angelo Bigarnet
was phenomenal!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print